Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After watching this on YouTube I now have a better understanding of
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 4,473

After watching this on YouTube I now have a better understanding of

Dec 25, 2018, 10:39 PM

and much more respect for Former Clemson HC Charley Pell. If the like does not work look for Charley Pell videos on YouTube. It gives you insight into the true man Coach Pell really was.

https://youtu.be/xTHOex94tew

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After watching this on YouTube I now have a better understanding of

Dec 25, 2018, 11:44 PM

I found it hard to understand Pell's wife stating that Charlie built a National Championship team at Clemson.

I was at his press conference in 1978 before the Gator Bowl when he was asked if he was leaving Clemson and he denied it, only to go to Florida knowing that he and his staff had committed major NCAA infractions in player recruiting, for which the NCAA placed the Clemson football program on two years' probation.

You need to ask Red Parker what a stand up guy Charlie Pell was! lol

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After watching this on YouTube I now have a better understanding of

Dec 26, 2018, 1:26 AM

If anybody got the shaft at Clemson it was Red Parker. Given time I believe Red would have turned Clemson into a winner. I agree Pell won with many of Red Parker’s recruits. But I don’t think Pell was a sleazy as some Clemson fans make him out to be. I know he was no Boy Scout either. But recruiting was a lot different back then. I would love to hear from someone who had inside information on Coach Parker and Coach Pell. Danny was on Pell’s staff and it’s usually the assistant coaches who commit the infractions. So was DF involved in any recruiting violations under Pell while they were at Clemson?? Idk, but I bet someone of Tigernet knows a lot about the 70’s and 80’s history of Clemson football.

After reading about Coach Pell and watching some videos about his life I have developed respect for Coach Pell and I understand his leaving Clemson to go to UF. But he gave us DF. And TB gave us Dabo. CP and TB also left Clemson better off than when they came to Clemson. The left a solid foundation from which to build a better program from.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't like Pell's sudden departure, but I tend to

Dec 26, 2018, 6:46 AM

take less strident attitudes about our program than others due to the fact that I have little to no say so.

The Gator Bowl win over Ohio State was good enough for me to support Ford, and I thought a younger coach with Bama roots would work. I, also, thought the NCAA investigation was a "hit" job sparked by those jealous of our success. It seemed that Pell was involved in the shenanigans along with several assistants, including Ford, but the worst offense was the ACC extra year probation, which I still think was engineered by the UNC and Duke AD's.

Mainly, as time passed, I think DF's youth and success got the better of him, as he publicly began differing with the administration over facilities...always a patently bad idea. My opinion then remains to this day: the wrong man was in the Clemson Presidency, as I believed the whole affair could have been handled much differently.

Re: I didn't like Pell's sudden departure, but I tend to

Dec 26, 2018, 7:42 AM

I agree mr Hartin. Clemson was lacking leadership at a very critical time. The bad times the Tigers experienced were begun during Pells tenure at Clemson. I have no idea if coach Ford was involved in the early problems. He got credit for a lot of things he wasn’t responsible for. The president and athletic director could have been more forceful during these times. I first met Max Lennon in 1959 and knew him in his early days. He has since passed away and we need not finger point now but 1981 could have been handled better. I’ll never be a follower of UNC and U Tenn again!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I didn't like Pell's sudden departure, but I tend to

Dec 26, 2018, 8:11 AM

Pell had the vision to build a program by targeting Clemson's recruiting, to the very best players within a 150 mile radius (3 hrs) of Clemson, especially targeting NC and GA. He also surrounded himself with great assistants. He had the best coaches show I have ever watched. He called out the high school and coach whenever a player made a big play. That had to impress a lot of recruits and coaches.

In 1977 I went to the Gator Bowl and stauedcwith my father's 1st cousin. He had been in the FL legislature and knew many of the big University of Florida donors. He told us that Doug Dickey would only be at UF one more year, but whoever they hire will have problems because he will still not have total control of the program. Didn't know they would come after Pell. I think Pell biggest problem was he turned a blind eye to what some boosters were doing in both cases.

I heard a slightly different story of Red's firing from a trusted source. That the board h ad not made a decision, but Red was telling people he was being fired during a basketball game. Their were enough Trustees in attendance to call an emergency meeting and they felt they didnt have another choice. Bear Bryant was contacted about possible candidates and he recommended Pell. I hated it for Red. I always felt his back ground at military schools, Ark A&M and The Citadel, hurt because he had not had to deal with as many discipline issues.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 4,473
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic