Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It is OK for members of the House to have legitimate
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 766

It is OK for members of the House to have legitimate

Mar 27, 2020, 11:04 AM

issues with this bill, and vote against it, right? I ask because I'm reading that one Rep in particular is being blasted, including very harshly and publicly by the President, for this opinion.

The vote does not have to be unanimous. Why such vitriol toward someone with a reasonable differig opinion?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the issue is that Massie is demanding a roll call

Mar 27, 2020, 11:07 AM

vote, which will require reps to be in a room together, which many perceive as dangerous.

I see both sides to this debate. We want to be safe...but it is $2 trillion. I would hope he has been clear and vocal that he would take this stance from the get-go, instead of blind siding his colleagues.

null

Why not have a vote?

Mar 27, 2020, 11:09 AM

They can let people in the room one at a time or something. It's not that hard. If he doesn't think the bill is a good bill, he has an obligation to vote No on it. He'd be a hypocrite if he didn't.

No one is saying he can’t vote no. I assume he will.

Mar 27, 2020, 11:24 AM

They want a voice vote, which could have happened this morning. Now many of them apparently have to fly back to DC for his roll call vote, which of course is inconvenient, possibly exposes them to more virus risk, and possibly delays a vote that most believe is a forgone conclusion.

Now...how a voice vote gets them out of a quorum requirement, I have no idea.

But he’s always had the right to vote no in the voice vote.

null

The President's criticism is particularly about

Mar 27, 2020, 11:27 AM

him voting "no", not about calling for a rool call.

not really, it's about holding up the process. his vote

Mar 27, 2020, 12:14 PM

doesnt matter

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

OK...again, I'm just going by what the President said.***

Mar 27, 2020, 12:15 PM

Voice vote is the current proposed method

Mar 27, 2020, 11:43 AM [ in reply to I think the issue is that Massie is demanding a roll call ]

Rep. Massie's opinion on the bill notwithstanding, the method that's being proposed for voting on this bill is by voice.

The representatives shout "Aye" or "Nay" when asked then the Speaker decides which side is louder. I think what's being questioned is how one could legitimately determine that on an audio teleconference.

I can't say I disagree with the question.

Now, a better question might be how in the technological world we live in today, there isn't some secure system for representatives to case roll call votes remotely.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Add that I also think now may not be the appropriate

Mar 27, 2020, 11:45 AM

time to raise this question.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Trump says to "throw Massie out of the Republican Party."

Mar 27, 2020, 11:10 AM

Wonder if Trump will work against him in the election?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a shocking statement to me.

Mar 27, 2020, 11:13 AM

I don't understand the reason for such vitriol. Every member of Congress should be free to have an opinion, and vote accordingly, without threats. If his vote is not a good one, his constituents will let him know that in November. It's their call.

You and Donald Trump have subtly different dispositions.***

Mar 27, 2020, 11:16 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's a shocking statement to me.

Mar 27, 2020, 11:18 AM [ in reply to That's a shocking statement to me. ]

The GOP position 72 hours ago was that any delay by a Dem to the bill was killing people and destroying the economy. This is one time Trump is actually being consistent.

That is just how Trump treats everybody that disagrees with

Mar 27, 2020, 11:19 AM [ in reply to That's a shocking statement to me. ]

him. Should not come as a shock to you since this has been going on for several years now.

He just put a target on the guy for his minions to attack.

I wonder if Trump will throw his support behind Massie's Republican challenger - Todd McMurtry, and risk the Democrat winning in November?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of the President's supporters I know hate the bill

Mar 27, 2020, 11:27 AM

That's what makes this seem so odd to me.

Why? Pumping over $2 Trillion into the economy leading

Mar 27, 2020, 12:59 PM

up to the election should juice the economy nicely for the president, once people start to head back to work. Most of it is going to the corporations and businesses.

Why do they hate the bill?

There's several threads below complaining about it.

Mar 27, 2020, 1:01 PM

It appears to be because there's a bunch of liberal "pork" in it, according to the ones I've seen talking about it.

Missing that old line item veto right about now

Mar 27, 2020, 11:21 AM

That only existed, briefly, the last time we had a balanced budget btw.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re not talking about ole William Jefferson, are you?

Mar 27, 2020, 11:29 AM

He & the PUBs in Congress got close but not sure if actually “balanced” the budget?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was a budget surplus in 2000.***

Mar 27, 2020, 3:44 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

or an earmark to get him on board.***

Mar 27, 2020, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Missing that old line item veto right about now ]

It was invalidated a couple years earlier than that.

Mar 27, 2020, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Missing that old line item veto right about now ]

I think the Supreme Court got it right, though, because a line-item veto permits the Executive to interfere with and actually undo the result of bargains and compromises made between members of the Legislature, and thereby impedes on the separation of powers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: It is OK for members of the House to have legitimate

Mar 27, 2020, 1:07 PM

Now the democrats can shift blame to a republican, what a coincidence.

As a Republican I can safely say that

Mar 27, 2020, 2:13 PM

Massie****

Mar 27, 2020, 2:14 PM

Replies: 24
| visibility 766
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic