Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: 40 Years
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 3,384

Plyler's Blog: 40 Years

Mar 17, 2014, 9:22 AM

40 Years

40 Years
In Bruce Springsteen’s song “Born in the USA,” he sings: "You end up like a dog that's been beat too much, so you spend half your life just covering up."

That's what we do as Clemson basketball fans.  We have been beaten up so much we cover up.

Most of our losses have come to

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: 40 Years

Mar 17, 2014, 9:39 AM

you cant stay close you have to beat them outright. Look at Va yesterday. they stayed out of range of an officials call or no call beating them. it isnt right but it is how the ACC has worked for year

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2014, 9:41 AM

I agree 100%. I think even Syracuse got a taste of it. If your name isn't North Carolina or Duke you don't get the calls. I am almost 68 and hope I live long enough to see this change. However, I have my doubts!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2014, 10:25 AM

I'm 59 and have seen it too. Sooner or later, you have to start standing up to it. It can be changed overnight. You have do things like get the best coach available and I think we have one in Brownell, improve the facilities, improve recruiting, play better basketball and then don't back down to this BS they pull on us.

Mar 17, 2014, 12:06 PM

I don't know how much it would help, but it would be nice to believe that we have an AD who is willing to confront the conference leadership on this bias. I know he cant do it publicly, but lets hope we now have one who has the gonads to demand accountability.

^^^ These things!

Mar 17, 2014, 12:56 PM

We need our AD to (in the proper setting) be down right hostile about our treatment. Just think where our young men would be sitting today if they hadn't been the victims of biased calls that determined the winner of 2 of their last 3 games. Tigers!

Mar 17, 2014, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Plyler's Blog: 40 Years ]

Sir, I am 7 years behind you but I agree, but it is looking less and less likely to change in our lifetimes.

Mickey, great point about Clemson's investment in hoops ...

Mar 17, 2014, 12:25 PM

... we decided early on that we would not make the investment in basketball that other schools were making at the time.

We had an athletic director back then who is a certified Clemson football legend, but he focused on football to the exclusion of pretty much all other sports.

We had a great coach on board in the late 50s-early 60s in Press Maravich and we let him leave over a paltry salary increase. He quit as our head coach in order to go up to NC State and serve as Everett Case's top assistant. That's right, Press quit as our HEAD coach to take a job as an ASSISTANT ... what more needs to be said of our hoops commitment at the time??

Folks will look at Press Maravich's record at Clemson and correctly point out that it is below .500. But, he was a terrific coach who got little to no support from the CU AD. John Wooden is quoted as saying Press Maravich was one of the very best basketball minds he'd ever been around. That's high raise for any former Clemson coach!

When we arbitrarily let Maravich go up to Raleigh and also continued playing in the quaint, but totally antiquated and inadequate Fike Field House for the next 8-10 years, we sealed out ACC fate in my humble opinion.

Once we'd dug ourselves a deep ACC hole, we built Littlejohn on a shoestring and hired and encouraged Tates Locke to try to make up too much ground too soon with the resulting NCAA sanctions.

Other than trying to buy ACC caliber players in the early 70s, our efforts to become a real competitor in the ACC have been half-hearted and ineffective and that's why we are where we are today.

PS: My glowing endorsement of Press Maravich has nothing to do with the potential of his son, Pete ever playing for Clemson. Pete could not have gotten into Clemson, just as he was not able to get into NC State. It took SEC-level academic standards and a lucrative job offer to his Dad for Pete to become the college player he became at LSU.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great point about Clemson's investment in hoops ...

Mar 17, 2014, 1:02 PM

Thank you very much your review. Many of us from that era either never knew or have forgotten these details about our b-ball program. Thanks

Actually goes back to 1939

Mar 17, 2014, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Mickey, great point about Clemson's investment in hoops ... ]

Actually goes back further when we won the SoCon in basketball but elected to NOT play in tournament due to conflict with spring football practice.

True enough ... in 1939 we ruled UNC, NCSU and Wake, etc.

Mar 17, 2014, 9:49 PM

... good piece of additional evidence.

Ironically, in 1939, Duke was considered a "football" school, LOL.

Re: Mickey, great point about Clemson's investment in hoops ...

Mar 17, 2014, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Mickey, great point about Clemson's investment in hoops ... ]

Heard several years ago that Bobby Roberts had to use a phone in the hall to call recruits and do other business since Howard wouldn't pay for one in his office.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

It could have ended by us getting out of the ACC.***

Mar 17, 2014, 1:48 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where would we have gone? Purgtory like SCAR did?

Mar 17, 2014, 1:53 PM

I remember being wholeheartedly in favor of jumping from the ACC after the 1982 sanctions, but was not on board with it when SCAR jumped in the early 70s.

Honestly, the idea of being an independent or playing in something called "The Metro Conference" in hoops doesn't sound like a step up to me and if we ever had a solid invitation to join a real conference (SEC??) on either occasion, I'm not aware of it.

SCAR has come up smelling like a rose after their capricious departure, but it was sheer dumb luck that they got into the SEC and it took a long, long time before that fortunate circumstance came their way.

Come out in full force to support..Spend $$$ & RECRUIT ***

Mar 17, 2014, 1:59 PM

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why? It happens everywhere in hoops. UK gets calls, Kansas

Mar 17, 2014, 7:06 PM [ in reply to It could have ended by us getting out of the ACC.*** ]

gets calls, UCLA used to get calls Louisville gets calls, Russell and the Celts used to get calls, Bird and the Celts the same, Magic and the Lakers, Jordan and Co. Got calls, Lebron too...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we earned a lot of respect this

Mar 17, 2014, 3:21 PM

year. Duke is still Duke, but UNC has shown their true colors this year with the academic scandals. Whether they get punished. I doubt it, but I think no one will look at them quite the same for a while. They have lost a lot of respect. Yes UNC has won a lot in the last 20 years, but what would there record be if they had to play with legit a academically eligible players?

I am very hopeful that Clemson is poised for a major upswing in bball. I think we finish in the top next year with no bubble concerns.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If KJ returns, we are a Top-4 ACC team and an NCAA

Mar 17, 2014, 3:27 PM

3-4 seed.

If KJ doesn't return, BB has some big time coaching to do.

Probably everyone on the team will improve, so we can still be a good team without KJ, but with him, the sky's sort of the limit next season.

Re: If KJ returns, we are a Top-4 ACC team and an NCAA

Mar 17, 2014, 4:06 PM

We essentially were top 4 and NCAA this year but got screwed out of 2 games! Otherwise we are there. NCSU?

Re: I think we earned a lot of respect this

Mar 17, 2014, 4:07 PM [ in reply to I think we earned a lot of respect this ]

Not really. The Big 4 just do not and never will respect us particularly in basketball and will do anything possible to prevent us crashing the party.

Re: Try 50+ Years!!!

Mar 17, 2014, 3:31 PM

For me it has been 50+ years and I am tired of it too. It all goes back to the origins of the ACC. It will never end. In fact now, it is likely to get worse as the "Big 4" will have to stick together even more vs. the larger conference numbers. The thought that a close call has to go the way of the higher ranked team or program is ingrained in the fans, the officials and the media. The only way to change it is a revolution. Either we say, WE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE(another hair band) or it is time to find a new home. I vote for the latter. Oh, and BTW don't you think the Wake AD was lobbying hard for NCSU to get in the big dance? Had to be, just another example.

I'll tell you how to end it. Hire a coach like John Thompson

Mar 17, 2014, 9:54 AM

A LARGE physical presence who can play the race card if need. I know this sounds stereotypical, I got the idea from watching 30 on 30 espn special on the Big East. Boheim said the refs overturned one of their own calls for the fear of having to face John Thompson.

Rick Barnes was on the right path. Brownell needs to get ugly

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder how many Clemson fans would have been on

Mar 17, 2014, 7:54 PM

their feet cheering had Coach Brownell launched a Danny Ford at the refs...with both our AD and new President standing right beside him?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good article Mickey and right on target!!!***

Mar 17, 2014, 8:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Less Than 40

Mar 18, 2014, 3:27 PM

I have been watching CU basketball for less than 40 years and I am tired of the majority of close calls going the other way...against Clemson. Wrong is wrong. Being a "good sport" doesn't mean laying down when you're "done wrong". The suits at Clemson need to voice their case to the ACC/NCAA and let them know that Clemson was robbed of two potential victories against "basketball schools" in the ACC.

Replies: 24
| visibility 3,384
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic