Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lunge electrical engineers......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 716

Lunge electrical engineers......

Aug 23, 2018, 9:06 AM

I have 10 recessed soffit lights in my kitchen......a year or two ago, I switched to LED’s because the lifespan on regular bulbs was so short.

Didn’t help.....these light have like a 5 year warranty and I’m still lucky to consistently get 8 months out of one.

What’s the odds for the issue here? High voltage to my home? A crappy job by whoever put in the can lights?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are leaving the lights on too long.***

Aug 23, 2018, 9:08 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That explains it.

Aug 23, 2018, 9:08 AM

The poor electricity in your house as the reason you've never seen 16 Candles, I mean.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which ones you got so I don't end up getting them

Aug 23, 2018, 9:10 AM

but not really because I will forget and not take your advice.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would say you have been LED astray by the light industry***

Aug 23, 2018, 9:12 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Largely ignored and 4 ####### points for one of my

Aug 23, 2018, 9:49 AM

greatest contributions to the Jounge.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those recessed lights get pretty warm.

Aug 23, 2018, 9:13 AM

Are the bases of the bulbs discolored?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

they Used to, but since the switch to Led’s They don’t.

Aug 23, 2018, 9:14 AM

Good to hear from you btw!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Back at you, youngster.

Aug 23, 2018, 9:32 AM

The LED devices themselves do not get too warm, but there are electronics to create the voltage to light them up, and I suspect that is the part that is failing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

he asked for advice from an electrical engineer, NOT

Aug 23, 2018, 9:38 AM

a jet-setting world traveler with a penchant for western European food, drink, salt carvings, and skinny-clothes.

The base of LED lights gets hot on some models***

Aug 23, 2018, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Back at you, youngster. ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

low voltage will kill LED's before high voltage will

Aug 23, 2018, 9:18 AM

Have you checked what voltage you have? Also, do you have a dimmer on that circuit, but don't have dimmable LED's? I have bought LED's in the past that said they were dimmable...but in reality, were not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only sure fire solution is to sell the house. HTH

Aug 23, 2018, 9:23 AM

I have successfully converted fluorescent light fixtures to LEDs without changing the fixture.

LED bulbs should be interchangeable. Is there a dimming switch for your recessed lights? If so, maybe leaving it fully ON could help.

Only way to know is put a voltage tester to it

Aug 23, 2018, 9:23 AM

and look for fluctuations, etc. Do you have this issue or other issues in your house with electronics, etc.?

I axe because my parents used to have the worst luck with everything that plugs in. Lights never lasted more than a few months. Computers broke. They went through 4 motherboards for their fridge. Went through 3 compressors on their AC unit outside. Finally an electrician suggested the main electrical line coming into the house had a problem because he tested the line at the source and still saw fluctuations.

In 1986 my parents installed an in ground pool. SCE&G came out and moved the underground line to the house/meter at that time. Well, called SCE&G and they came out. Found a fault in the line and dug down (6 feet) and found a place where the line had been spliced. It had corroded and was replaced. Still had fluctuations. Found another fault. Dug down another 6 feet and found a nick in the line had caused corrosion in the line. THEN STILL had fluctuations. They left and came back later and replaced the entire underground line from the pole to the meter. Never had any problems since.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Followup....

Aug 23, 2018, 9:30 AM

SCE&G paid for the two AC compressors and fridge motherboards and 2 computers that were fried.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whew - with all that digging thought you found Jimmy Hoffa.

Aug 23, 2018, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Only way to know is put a voltage tester to it ]

Got to be old understand.

Since the line ran right along the base of the retaining

Aug 23, 2018, 9:58 AM

wall, they had to dig both holes by hand. It was two scrawny white guys and a 6'4" 300-lb black guy who showed up. One of the guys said Jimmy (black guy's name), was their human backhoe used for digging big holes where equipment couldn't go. Seemed kinda racist. Anyway...

I watched Jimmy work and let me tell you, my jaw dropped. Every time his foot touched a shovel, it sank ALL THE WAY DOWN. And this was tough, rocky soil. He had a hole 6 feet deep and 3 feet wide and 8 feet long dug in about 15 minutes. To this day I have never seen anyone dig that fast with a shovel. I was maybe 12-13yo at the time.

From what you've described so far it sounds like you have

Aug 23, 2018, 9:27 AM

house AIDS.

On the reals though, are they on a dimmer switch? Most LED's require a TRIAC dimmer. Your old, stupid, analog dimmer is killing your LED's.

nossir, no dimmer.***

Aug 23, 2018, 9:35 AM

Then obviously the issue is that they're not on a dimmer.***

Aug 23, 2018, 9:39 AM

Re: nossir, no dimmer.***

Aug 23, 2018, 11:27 AM [ in reply to nossir, no dimmer.*** ]

Even if there is no dimmer, It is probably still a voltage issue.

It could be a voltage fluctuation, but that is going to be much harder to spot.
If it is only in these particular lights, then it probably isn't a whole house voltage fluctuation.

How old is the house?

Check the ac voltage in one of the cans where the lights are failing.

How are the lights controlled?

One wall switch or multiple switches?

Consider replacing the switches if you are comfortable doing it yourself.

Some high starting draw things, like the ac, can cause low voltage on other circuits if your house is underserviced.

Have you noticed the lights dimming when the ac or furnace fan starts?

Message was edited by: castaway®

Message was edited by: castaway®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2018, 12:32 PM

House was built in 1985. I suspect these lights were added later.

Can I check voltage with a multimeter at the socket or do I need to pull can and check wires?

One wall switch.

Don't see flickering or dimming when HVAC starts.

Aug 23, 2018, 1:45 PM

You can check at the light switch first, but if it is fine there could still be an issue at the lights themselves.

I would probably just replace the light switch and see if the problem goes away.

It's a 10 minute job. Just make sure to turn off the circuit breaker to the light switch before taking the old one out of the wall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do you suspect the light switch?***

Aug 23, 2018, 2:33 PM

Aug 23, 2018, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Re: nossir, no dimmer.*** ]

castaway®

similar issue with LED candelabra bulbs in a ceiling fan

Aug 23, 2018, 9:30 AM

is the fan shaking the LED's which is causing them to die faster?

We have three ceiling fans on the front porch. all of the lights stay on a long time but we only use one of the fans. the LEDs in the fan are the ones out. are LEDs known to be susceptible to shaking?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

actually its kind of opposite.

Aug 23, 2018, 9:35 AM

LEDs are good for high vibration and areas that get shock loads often. (huh uh I said "load")

Fans are notorious for having crappy lighting circuits.

interesting.

Aug 23, 2018, 9:42 AM

so the bad circuitry in the light kit/fan could be causing the bulbs to meet an untimely demise

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it could happen***

Aug 23, 2018, 9:50 AM

I have this issue with one light fixture in the bathroom

Aug 23, 2018, 9:50 AM

Switched to fluorescent years ago. They would burn out too quickly. Switched to LED a few years ago. Already had a few go bad. Guess I need to get a new light fixture. I don't have this issue anywhere else in the house.

Re: I have this issue with one light fixture in the bathroom

Aug 23, 2018, 1:58 PM

How often was the light being turned off and on?

When you read lifetimes on fluorescent and led lights, it is assuming that they are mostly on, not turned on and off constantly.

If you find an led light fixture intended for bathrooms, that may be your best bet.

Hopefully it would have more robust electronics to deal with the switching.

It's the light over the vanity

Aug 23, 2018, 2:35 PM

...takes 5 bulbs. I doubt it was intended for LED, it's around 6-7 years old. So it's turned off and on a lot, but rarely left on more than 1 hour at at time.

Heat or surge

Aug 23, 2018, 9:58 AM

are typically the culprits with LED. Assuming everything is wired properly, of course.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It's the lint trap.

Aug 23, 2018, 10:01 AM

Pretty sure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

As you said they aren't on a dimmer, my guess is they are

Aug 23, 2018, 10:02 AM

overheating. LEDs struggle with heat, and it isn't dissipating in that can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Sounds like a problem

Aug 23, 2018, 10:02 AM

With the flux capacitor. Glad I could help. Double check the dryer vent also. Just in case.

The Answer:

Aug 23, 2018, 12:29 PM

A yuge capacitor bank in the attic. That'll help keep you supplied with a steady flow of electrons. Should extend bulb life.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Heat buildup in the fixture...

Aug 23, 2018, 2:19 PM

coupled with the heat of cooking. Go up in the attic and strip the insulation away from the cans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ackshully, you have a Mechanical Engineering problem

Aug 24, 2018, 2:19 PM

Your light fixtures need to dissipate heat quickly or your LED bulbs will fail prematurely. LEDs certainly do not create as much heat as incandescent bulbs, but the base will still get warm. Since you have them pointed down the base is up inside the can. Make sure the cans can "breathe". If you can get to the space above, move the insulation back...one inch all the way around the can should do.

TL;DR - It's heat transfer...not electricity.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's what I was thinking too....

Aug 24, 2018, 2:52 PM

can lights in a drop ceiling or attic with 3' of surrounding open space = no problem

can lights in a hard ceiling with 1" of clearance to floor above = problem

Dollars to donuts it's a heat issue...

Aug 25, 2018, 1:21 AM

Check the insulation around the fixtures. If they're covered up, uncover them and see if that helps.

Could be a low voltage issue, but I doubt it. Test the voltage at the light fixture...if it's low check an outlet a different circuit. If the outlet isn't low, you could have a wiring issue on the lighting circuit.

Replies: 40
| visibility 716
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic