Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
About to log off. Final HVAC update--saga continues
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

About to log off. Final HVAC update--saga continues

Jan 22, 2019, 6:10 PM

Dude arrived this morning, put new blower motor and capacitor on, boom---sweet, sweet warmth throughout the house. I unplugged all space heaters, went to doctor for an x-ray (that'll be a separate story manana).

Come home....house temp is fine, but no air from vents, despite fan being in "on" position from thermostat. Call dude, he's back over 10 minutes later.

Tells me the control board is shorting out the motor. I ask "how do you know". He says it just is. I asked him if he checked the voltage and what was it? He says "I think it's high". I ask why he didn't check the output voltage before throwing a new motor on there. He says he did. I drop it at that point because he's throwing parts at the thing on the warranty company's dime, not mine.

TL;DR it's impossible to find a good HVAC tech these days, and a prayer request that the new board actually works and the dumas didn't just miss a bad ground or frayed wire somewhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but house got warmer and can slowly cool back down***

Jan 22, 2019, 6:34 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i don't have a home warranty and 1 time my furnace broke

Jan 22, 2019, 6:59 PM

and it was fixed in 2 days
would have been 1 but had to wait on the part

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that sounds like a BS story from him***

Jan 22, 2019, 8:53 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It does.

Jan 22, 2019, 9:29 PM

Just can’t belive anything an obed says.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Check your gmail***

Jan 22, 2019, 10:57 PM

WU TANG! WU TANG!***

Jan 23, 2019, 6:58 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So it's just a $40 thermostat?

Jan 23, 2019, 7:40 AM

Is that what you're saying?

Nah, the control board in the HVAC unit.

Jan 23, 2019, 8:41 AM

Big jumble of circuits and resistors and other assorted crap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$325

Jan 23, 2019, 8:45 AM

is what I paid for that a few months ago (well, the zoming control board, specifically)

OUR Home Warranty (First American) doesn't cover zoning components, might want to dbl check on that if that's what you're swapping out

Whoa whoa whoa...

Jan 23, 2019, 12:30 PM

You really have a home warranty? That is a complete waste of money and the only people I know that have those are the ones that are too dumb to have an emergency fund. You are not dumb Dong... why you has?

Hey, I bet you know a ball park answer here.

Jan 23, 2019, 12:38 PM

I looked at a house last night that have separate stove top and oven. The oven is tiny, can't even fit a red baron frozen pizza in there.

How much would it cost to cut out the current stove top and replace that with a normal oven?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It depends on how much modifications to the cabinetry you

Jan 23, 2019, 12:50 PM

will have to do. Without seeing it, my guess would be just a couple hundred dollars to cut out the counter top and remove the cabinets underneath. if you can make a clean cut that is about the size of a combo, then it should be a couple hundred. If not... it really all depends. If the cabinets are modular, then you could possibly remove the wrong size cabinet and get a smaller sized on and stick it in (another couple hundred). If the are custom, it will take more of a carpenter to fix it which would run the costs up to about $1000. I had a whole U-shaped kitchen cabinet set and counter tops put in the last one for around $6000... maybe 7.

That isn't awful really.

Jan 23, 2019, 12:57 PM

The kitchen is no original to the house and I cannot imagine why somebody would have made the choices they did with this stove.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the kitchen I had done.

Jan 23, 2019, 1:00 PM

I think it was like $8400 for the floor, cabinets, countertops, and some patch work for the ceiling. That was from Lowes.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/109-Elcon-Dr,-Greer,-SC-29650_rb/

Nice, I like the look of those cabinets. I don't like the

Jan 23, 2019, 1:03 PM

light wood and loath the white ones. White ones are mostly what I see in places I can afford.

Do you get close to the $1275 "rent zestimate" for that?***

Jan 23, 2019, 1:13 PM [ in reply to This is the kitchen I had done. ]

$1200...

Jan 23, 2019, 1:29 PM

It is actually not a good investment as a rental. As soon as this lease is up, I will do one of two things. Sell it and get two other rentals, or try AirBNB. The property manager that does this one for me offers AirBNB services for 30%. That takes care of everything...including cleaning it for next day turn around. The question would be, is it in a good enough location to get 100-120 a night and have it booked for at least 15 nights a month.

Deposited

Jan 23, 2019, 1:31 PM

your ?

Thanks again McLuvs.

Jan 23, 2019, 1:34 PM

I probably never would have gone if it wasnt for you.

that AirBNB $ wud get you just about what you're getting now

Jan 23, 2019, 1:32 PM [ in reply to $1200... ]

(actually, I'm not factoring in what you're paying the PM now, so maybe nevermind)

which is what, 10%?

Is it a BAD investment? Or just not as good as it could be for what you've got held up in it?

Yeah, 10%.

Jan 23, 2019, 1:38 PM

The thing is, if it could get 50% booked right off the bat, I would hope it would grow to closer to 75%... which would be much better return.

Not bad... exactly what you said. I could sell it for $165K really fast... prolly closer to 175k. At that point, I could get 2 other rentals for that amount and make about 800-900 on each which would put me at a 1600-1800 gross take home as opposed to 1200.

y'all are talking about how to make more money and I

Jan 23, 2019, 1:44 PM

am sitting at my desk listening to this on repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Y1sEmyymw

W T F

Jan 23, 2019, 1:50 PM

??

how nice were the cabinets/countertop?

Jan 23, 2019, 1:01 PM [ in reply to It depends on how much modifications to the cabinetry you ]

I'm thinking about putting an(other) island in the kitchen-ish area, but will prob DIY most of it....haven't started looking into cost

See above post to Aero.

Jan 23, 2019, 1:06 PM

I was actually very pleased with the quality and looks for the price that I paid. Plus, it put me in contact with a Russian guy who did a lot of work for half the cost if I paid cash.

I paid $1500 to have him scrape the popcorn ceiling off the den, paint it, put in two support beams with about 7 jack stands, clear the woods, repair the back door and casing, repair the crawl space door, and install gutter guards. It was the easiest $1500 I have ever spent.

yep, saw it right after I axed

Jan 23, 2019, 1:08 PM

what's up with the backsplash return at the tall cabinet?

I dont know.

Jan 23, 2019, 1:17 PM

That was one of 2 things that I was like... this was the decision you made here? If I recall, there was a small gap between the countertop and large cabinet. The piece should have been profiled a little bit if they were going to put that in. The other thing was the back right corner wall was greater than 90°. Instead of adjusting the cut, they installed it at 90 and siliconed the fool out of the corner... up to like half an inch. My guess is all the stuff is prefabbed and they have no way of modifying anything... they just had to work with the pieces that were delivered.

Again... it was Lowes. There were things that I wasnt thrilled with, but overall... what I got for what I paid, I would take. Especially for a rental. It ended up being nicer than I was expecting for the price.

Oh yeah... there was a third thing.

Jan 23, 2019, 1:20 PM

The little strip under the counter top was not continued over where the dishwasher goes. TO attach the dishwasher up top, I actually had to put 2x4s under the feet of it. You can kinda see it in one of the pictures.

because I know I have big repairs (and possible replacement)

Jan 23, 2019, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Whoa whoa whoa... ]

coming up soon that'll net me WELL ABOVE the $600 this next year of home warranty will cost me.

I had actually cancelled it, and they pulled a DirecTV-type move lowering the cost + free service call...

Very well then. I knew there was more to this than just...

Jan 23, 2019, 12:51 PM

Hey, I have a home warranty.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic