Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
About the "crowd noise penalty" from last night's discussion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

About the "crowd noise penalty" from last night's discussion

Sep 26, 2013, 6:50 AM

Three different Clemson crowds contributed to the passage of that rule.

The first was vs UNC in 1974. The Tar Heels came into the game having already accepted a Sun Bowl bid with either 2 or 3 regular season games remaining. They were smug, arrogant and thinking they could just show up and collect their victory. Okay, I guess that means they were just a typical UNC sports team. Our crowd got into the game and the Tigers jumped out to something like a 37-0 half time lead. Scrubs played the entire second half and the game ended 54-32 Tigers. UNC coach, Bill Dooley, planted the seeds for the rule by whining to the press and brother Vince (who was on the rules committee) about those bad Clemson hillbillies who wouldn't let his quarterback call signals. Awwwww.... For the record, a very deserving Clemson team was left out of the bowls that year. The final Tangerine Bowl selection that we thought we were going to get went to a 5-6 Georgia team that we had already beaten. The bowl passed on us because we had not been to a bowl in 15 years and they were afraid we wouldn't sell enough tickets. The dummies.

The second was Notre Dame in 1977. Clemson led that game 17-7 at the beginning of the 4th quarter. ND coach Dan Devine stopped the game to pitch fits about any and everything - including the crowd noise. One of his rants actually resulted in an unsportsmanlike penalty against his team but he had gotten the referees' ears and his team's attention. Notre Dame went on to win 21-17. Devine complained long and loud to the press and the NCAA about Clemson's crowd noise. In my opinion, we owe Notre Dame several beatdowns because of that game from almost 40 years ago.

The rule was finally passed about 4-5 years later. I believe it was after Bill Dooley returned to Death Valley as Virginia Tech's coach in either 82 or 83 and our crowd gave him a special Clemson welcome. I'm not absolutely sure about that one. Some other old timer needs to help me out here.

The rule was an idiotic attempt to protect the NCAA's whiniest coaches at the time and it's good that it's gone. Home fields are supposed to give you an advantage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the post, TS'75....The only thing I can recall

Sep 26, 2013, 6:58 AM

was my thinking at the time, "What are they going to do...eject the entire crowd?" It was a boneheaded move, typical of the knee-jerk reactions of which the NCAA has been guilty over the years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A special moment in that 74 UNC game...

Sep 26, 2013, 7:14 AM

the crowd spent most of the second half singing "hang down you head Bill Dooley" in full throat for those of you who remember the old Kingaton trio song. It was amazing..

Cant remember the year but the crowd actually won a CU VT game when BD was the coach. VT was about to take the lead at our goalline but the cword noise forced an illegal procedure.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

I was at both games and remember the ND game...

Sep 26, 2013, 8:14 AM

a little differently. Dan Devine complained about the reputed crowd noise at Clemson for a week before the game. There were articles in the newspapers about it. Clemson students and cheerleaders came up with the idea of giving he and the ND the silent treatment when they came onto the field. We then exploded into a roar when the Tigers came out. It was a noisy, racous game. With Steve Fuller at QB, we led 17-7 in the 4th quarter. ND had a 4th and 10 near midfiled and went for it. Stopping them probably would have won the game for Clemson. Joe Montana completed a 10 yard, 6" pass to Ken McFee their all American Tight End. Jim Stuckey tackled him but McFee got that extra 6" he needed. They went on to score and scored agin to beat us 21-17. ND had beaten USC and GT 49-17 and 69-17 the two previous weeks.

ND went on to win the NC. Stuckey and Montana became teammates with the 49ers along with Dwight Clark who also played in the game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was there as well and the only thing different I'll

Sep 26, 2013, 9:27 AM

add is I seem to remember we held up newspapers as though reading during the silent treatment. I don't remember if we brought them or they were handed out at the game. Great atmosphere. I also remember ND running off the field holding up their finger to signify No. 1. The sentiment I felt was that if they were No. 1, then we were definitely top five. And yes, back then that was a moral victory, but it led to real victories the next year.

Re: I was at that N. Dame game against Devine and if I ...

Sep 26, 2013, 7:16 AM

Remember Devine sent a letter to Clemson officials stating he was not going to put up with our very noisy crowd. In response the crowd was asked to be very quiet during pregame , which we did. Great crowd participation. Everyone let out shhhhhhhhh every few minutes till the team came down the hill and then the noise was deafening from then on.
What a game. Should have won.

Yes! I remember that now. Thanks!

Sep 26, 2013, 7:24 AM

There are more and more holes showing up in my memory.

Also I see another comment on the board that the VT game that I mentioned was actually in 1978 - which makes more sense concerning the timing of the passage of the actual rule.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was at that N. Dame game against Devine and if I ...

Sep 26, 2013, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Re: I was at that N. Dame game against Devine and if I ... ]

used to do the siletn treatment in hoops and then the crow would errupt. made it even more seem deafening.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At ND the following year

Sep 26, 2013, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Re: I was at that N. Dame game against Devine and if I ... ]

The crowd at ND the following year was great. ND made the mistake of putting Clemson in both end zones. Big mistake, as were were louder than the home crowd. Dandy Dan was fired at the end of the season also!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, I was there too. The "Silent Out" was epic. The band

Sep 26, 2013, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: I was at that N. Dame game against Devine and if I ... ]

didn't even play. They marched and moved like they were playing...instead of clapping, the crowd waved their hands mimicking the clapping motion. Then the crowd went crazy when The Tigers ran down The Hill.

Awesome memory.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: About the "crowd noise penalty" from last night's discussion

Sep 26, 2013, 7:16 AM

I believe that '74 UNC game is the one where the student section sang "Hang Down Your Head, Bill Dooley." Small sheets were passed out with the special lyrics (clean, of course) and we belted it out towards the end of the game. I believe that was also the game that we were repeatedly warned to be quiet, so we screamed our heads off until the QB got ready to receive the snap. We went from screams to "Ssssshhhhhhhhh" until the snap. Awesome! That was my sophomore year and the birth of my lifelong desire to be truly invested in Clemson athletics. Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The year was 1980-Homecoming against the VPI Hokies and

Sep 26, 2013, 8:23 AM

the Clemson crowd won the game. No doubt about it.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2013, 8:29 AM

One clarification. When Bill Dooley came back as the Va. Tech coach, the rule was already in place. In fact, it ended up costing them the game because they were trying to take advantage of it. Clemson was up by 4 or so very near the end of the game and Va. Tech got a drive going. They were heading into the Hill and ended up with a first and goal somewhere around the 1 or 2 yard line. The crowd was somewhat loud when they lined up so the ref ended up throwing a flag. I cannot remember the exact details but the first penalty I think was to take away timeouts. Then they started marking off yardage when you were out of timeouts. We ended up getting several penalties before they ever snapped the ball. However, since they were so close to the goal line, they couldn't move it much. The crowd kept getting quieter each time but their quarterback kept turning to the ref acting like he couldn't hear, and they would throw the flag. Finally, when it wasn't even loud at all, the QB tried again, and the ref motioned for him to run the play. The crowd responded with an increase in noise due to the ref's action, and one of their lineman jumped offsides. They ended up not scoring after the penalty and CU won. If they had just gone up and run the play, they probably would have won.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2013, 8:36 AM

as I recall during the crowd noise era some of our fans disrupted road game as well though I dont recall where.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NC State in 1978-the 2 Browns game.***

Sep 26, 2013, 8:44 AM

null

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Our crowd did indeed make NCS back away from the ball

Sep 26, 2013, 8:56 AM

several times asking for quiet. The ref looked at the QB and said "Hey this is your field...play away"

There was a famous commercial back in the day that went
"my dog's better than your dog...my dog's better than yours" sort of a sing song chant. Think it may have been a dog food commercial.

Anyway state's star player was ted brown a really good RB...we had Bubba Brown, a fine linebacker. Our crowd inserted "brown" where dog is and serenaded away.....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Sep 26, 2013, 8:48 AM

Prior to 1977 we only had a 40,000 seat stadium - got the south upper deck opened some time during the season in 1977 I believe. Still we we able to stop play with the crowd noise.

Was the ND game the one where the coach through a chair out

Sep 26, 2013, 10:44 AM

onto the field? For some reason that has stuck in my mind. I was thinking it was Parsigian, but if it were Devine, that would still be ND, which is the team I've always associated that with.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic