Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Abe Lincoln Said This
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Abe Lincoln Said This

Jun 9, 2018, 2:47 PM

I must have been plowing in the back forty with Prunela, my favorite mule, on the day Abe Lincoln threw out this bit of wisdom because I don't recall hearing or reading about it. "Elections belong to the people. It's their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters".

(I wonder if the term, "sitting on the hot seat" is in reference to Lincoln's remark?)

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Abe Lincoln Said This

Jun 9, 2018, 3:14 PM

always thought the hot seat referred to the electric chair.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

And you would be correct.***

Jun 9, 2018, 10:41 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Old Abe Lincum also said this:

Jun 9, 2018, 10:48 PM

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable,—most sacred right—a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government, may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people that can, may revolutionize, and make their own, of so much of the territory as they inhabit. More than this, a majority of any portion of such people may revolutionize, putting down a minority, intermingled with, or near about them, who may oppose their movement. Such minority, was precisely the case, of the tories of our own revolution. It is a quality of revolutions not to go by old lines, or old laws; but to break up both, and make new ones."

And then invaded a country's peoples who did just that.

https://library.brown.edu/create/modernlatinamerica/chapters/chapter-14-the-united-states-and-latin-america/primary-documents-w-accompanying-discussion-questions/abraham-lincoln-on-the-mexican-american-war-1846-48/

Jun 10, 2018, 12:54 AM

“If you’re a racist I will attack you with the north” -Abe Lincoln?

Jun 10, 2018, 12:55 AM

If y’all know what show that’s from??

Jun 11, 2018, 9:55 AM

You miss every shot you don't take - Wayne Gretsky

- Michael Scott

Jun 10, 2018, 1:46 AM

All humanity in present time has a reflexive tendency to judge the past based on our current generally accepted morals.

Lincoln was a true revolutionary in his time. You’ll find that he also said if he could “free all of the slaves and keep the Union together I’d do it. If I could free some of the slaves to keep the union together I would do that, and if I had to free none of the slaves to keep the union together, I would do that as well.”

Abhorrent, when you take that all in today as a majority of Americans like me who see people as they are, but almost on the heels of that statement, his stake in the ground via the emancipation proclamation started the evolution of our county’s development that has defined our moral compass ever since.

Our Representative Republic is what allows this, starting from the moment George Washington refused to become king and later stepped down from a third term.

If we are completelyi puritanical by today’s standards Lincoln was a racist bigot, yet I hope most thinking people can apply context, internalize, and appreciate his true contribution to our nation.

In terms of social perspective, I’d like to think I’m better than my father, who was better than his, and so on.

It’s hard for us to apply perspective within a given lifetime, but I’m pretty sure that generally this world is improving not getting worse.

Recommended read- Shelby Foote’s “The Civil War”. It’s the source material for the PBS Ken Burns documentary. It’ll suck you in, and it’s available on Audible.

Ba’ath!! Enough of me!

####, sorry for the diatribe. It’s Joe’s fault!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apply context, internalize, and appreciate?

Jun 10, 2018, 7:08 AM

In a world of 140 character 'communication'? I guess you're looking for application of common sense, too! Sheesh! Christmas in July, how 'bout it!?! ;) For the record, I'm with you!

Mr. Joe's version was probably Abe's exact words...then his speech writer ran with it! Personally, the short version is fine!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No generation is better or worse than any other.

Jun 11, 2018, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Abe Lincoln Said This ]

That's either foolish or just plain secular humanistic.

Youth believe that they are better than their parents? Just wait until you have 50 or 60 years to reflect upon and you'll realize your place is right beside every generation.

Why do you think old people long for the 'good ole days?' They weren't any 'gooder,' than today. Nothing changes but perspective and we old people long for those days when we were young, fresh and vibrant; the times when our perception of self was perverted by our hopes, dreams and most of all our egos.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No generation is better or worse than any other.

Jun 11, 2018, 9:47 AM

My assertion is from a social perspective.

A little over two centuries ago slavery was a widely acccepted institution in this nation, A century and half ago we lived in a nation where slavery was in commonly accepted throughout the south. 70-yrs ago blacks couldn’t use the same bathrooms or water fountains, and we finally eliminated segregation only fifty years ago.

I could go on and on, but it’s undeniable that over he course of our nation’s history, our treatment of one another is better with each successive generation.

I’ve never really longed for the good ole days. I still long for a great today and tomorrow.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No generation is better or worse than any other.

Jun 11, 2018, 3:51 PM

Time changes many things, some good, some bad. We refer to the good old days, usually those days before we were saddled with responsibilities. When life was simple and we didn't aspire to "keep up with the Jones", we could put our worries in a small thimble and they would become lost. Most people believed and practiced honesty and common courtesy. The only gangs were the gangsters, all adults and no pre-teen or teen aged members. Slavery has been abolished but we have gained mass killings in our schools, businesses and even in our churches. We have become so civilized we now have riots, burning down and destroying private and public property if our candidate does not win the election. We had such silly habits back in my younger years, we left the keys in the ignition and didn't lock our cars nor did we lock our homes, even if we were going to be gone for several days. Everything wasn't perfect and there was a lack of what we now consider necessary but somehow we survived. Would I prefer to go back to those "good old days"? NO !!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Tigernet existed in the 1860s

Jun 11, 2018, 9:56 AM

Lincoln would be a bigger villain here than Hillary and Obama combined.

Nah...Morse Code

Jun 11, 2018, 1:02 PM

Would have stopped posters in their tracks...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic