Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ATHENS Ga
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,091

ATHENS Ga

Jan 15, 2013, 1:46 AM

When I was a young man I worked construction. We did quite a bit of work in Ga. Some of the guys spoke of Athens Ga. and they always referred to Athens as "Sin City" they said it got that name because of the large numbers of strip clubs and bars. I was told that many college girls would work the clubs to get through school.

This was 20 years ago and I can only imagine what it is like now. There's no way on this world I would turn my teenage son loose in acuity like that

Have any of you ever heard of Athens Ga. Being described this way?

And is it true?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went to Clemson in the 80s, Athens was a pretty cool place

Jan 15, 2013, 2:13 AM

... cool music scene (REM, Love Tractor, etc.), good games with them in football, not too far a drive to get there.

I lived in Atlanta in the late 80s through mid 90s and went to Athens often. Never had a bad time.

So, I have no idea what it is like now, but I can't imagine it is as bad as you say.

It is a big school and that is a lot of hormones, so anything could probably happen, but nothing is never as bad as some folks will make it out to be.

sorry, typo, "... ever as bad as ..."

Jan 15, 2013, 2:14 AM

nm

LOL....The only bad thing I've ever heard about Athens is

Jan 15, 2013, 5:43 AM

that they allow too many rabid, mangy dawgs to roam free. It's about the same in Columbia with an overabundance of cackling chickens on every street corner...which, of course, doesn't seem to bother many residents. Then, there is Clemson with its tigers...some tame, some not...depending on hormone levels. Thank God, none of the above are like Durham...we have enough devils in this world, as it is!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ATHENS Ga

Jan 15, 2013, 6:57 AM

They were half right. There are plenty of bars and restraurants. It's a great college town and well worth a trip for a game.

Jan 15, 2013, 7:19 AM

Athens is a very nice town. It may have a few clubs of the type you mentioned, but it really is a great small town.

My parents are from there, so I have been there plenty of times.

I was at CU in the early 1990's. I spent a few weekends

Jan 15, 2013, 7:39 AM

in Athens. It was fun.

I may have gone to school there if I thought I would have received an education equal to that of Clemson.

Jan 15, 2013, 10:16 AM

Tons of bars, but only a few strip clubs. The bars are all in a city square setting and have a lot of character. Not too expensive either.

I don't like UGA's fans, but in terms of fun college nightlife, Athens GA is "doing it right".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SO!!

Jan 15, 2013, 11:30 AM

Would you feel "good" leaving your 18 yr old son there to spend several years or not?

It's a nice little town....most of the town works either in

Jan 15, 2013, 11:38 AM

medical or at the school....typical college town.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,091
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic