Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
AN OLDER TIGER...from the first four-peat era...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,006

AN OLDER TIGER...from the first four-peat era...

Dec 4, 2012, 4:44 PM

A close friend, who graduated from Clemson in 1955, expressed a few sentiments recently regarding the rivalry and Clemson football. "We had students, alumni and fans up in arms at Frank Howard after that fourth loss in 1954," he commented, "and the story was that a group of alumni came to Dr. Poole's (former Clemson President) and Howard's offices and levelled some nasty threats."

"It must have affected Howard, because he won the next three," he added. "The fact is Clemson has always had a better tradition in football than Carolina and always will primarily because they're in Columbia and too many people will continue to mess with their program like they always have," he said. "Plus, they don't have any kind of tradition except mediocrity, and it'll take them a h3ll of a long time to build one." He concluded, "And they won't ever catch up with us, and I don't give a flying d@mn what any of those idiots have to say. Clemson will turn their little run around like we always have, and once again, they'll still be low-life Chickens."

After that, I thought it a good idea to change subjects...I could see a thundering apoplexy coming on, for that was one riled up 79-year-old, firebreathing Tiger. (lol) I might add, I understood clearly what he was saying!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AN OLDER TIGER...from the first four-peat era...

Dec 4, 2012, 5:07 PM

Also, in 1947, fans wanted Frank Howard fired. Then the 1948 team went undefeated.

Incidentally, I experienced the four losing seasons, 1951-1954, as a student at Clemson. And that was a big deal since some hazing would stop if Clemson beat South Carolina and so a win was really important to us.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congratulations! You survived....I suppose fans haven't

Dec 4, 2012, 5:21 PM

really changed that much over the years....It's just that there are a lot more of them now. Thanks for your post...my compliments to you!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,006
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic