Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
AN ANALOGY...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

AN ANALOGY...

Feb 25, 2016, 11:16 AM

You’re the Executive Vice president of a corporation. You have 14 managers working for you in different businesses within the corporation. The corporation does well, but some business groups are not performing as well as others. You have a manager that you personally hired and really feel like he can do the job. He’s had moments where he has really impressed you, and others that you know he was doing the right thing, but his workers made mistakes that hurt the department. None-the-less, he’s in the top half of the best producing businesses within the corporation.

Do you fire him, look for a replacement, or do you look at the whole picture and help him improve the situation? You have to ask yourself:

Have I given him the personnel he needs to do the job, or for that matter, given him the means to acquire these personnel?

Have I given him the infrastructure to create a good workplace for his personnel?

Is he getting support from me and all others needed to be successful?

Have I ensured he has the best team and resources available to hire the best talent out there for the organization?

From a corporate standpoint, have we met with other groups within the corporation to see what they can do to improve the situation?

Well, if you’re a student at Clemson, you want to fire everybody (I hope you don’t have that same opinion when you get into the real world). If you are new to the working world, I doubt you have ever hired/fired anyone and understand what that does to you, the company, or the people involved.

Clemson has pretty much always been mediocre in basketball. Fan expectations are always high, but results very seldom meet expectations. It’s not time to get rid of Coach Brownell. Bringing top talent into a mediocre program is difficult to say the least, especially when you’re competing against schools in the best basketball conference in the nation. I see some of the talent getting better. When we can get 3 or 4 or 5 very good players on the team at the same time, our program will start to change. We’ve seen it with football. We just have to learn how to bring that same approach to basketball recruiting as we have in football. There’s a new feeling in the air at Clemson. Football has started to make its move towards one of the top, consistent programs in the country. Hopefully, basketball will get there in the next 5 to 10 years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AN ANALOGY...

Feb 25, 2016, 11:21 AM

Just as many corporations use the good old boy system and promote complete idiots. I have seen people promoted, who I wouldn't hire as a janitor-my apologies to all janitors who don't deserve this comparison.

hired a lot of people, said good bye to many others...

Feb 25, 2016, 11:22 AM

everyone of those that were "fired", fired themselves.

that may be a harsh reality to some and if so, not a chance in this world i'd ever hire you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish I would fire myself.

Feb 25, 2016, 11:27 AM

My job is very challenging and it hurts my brain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i'm sure you're bright enough to know how to get yourself

Feb 25, 2016, 11:28 AM

fired.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In reality, if I could afford to get myself fired, I would

Feb 25, 2016, 12:08 PM

just quit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's a means to the end too, Tof3.

Feb 25, 2016, 12:27 PM

good luck! i'm rooting for you!

Re: I wish I would fire myself.

Feb 25, 2016, 11:33 AM [ in reply to I wish I would fire myself. ]

Just call the police on who ever is making you show up everyday under gun point. That should solve your brain ache.;);)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wish I would fire myself.

Feb 25, 2016, 12:08 PM

If I could call the police on my mortgage, I would do it in a skinny minute.

Re: hired a lot of people, said good bye to many others...***

Feb 25, 2016, 11:27 AM [ in reply to hired a lot of people, said good bye to many others... ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe, if you're a trained monkey working for peanuts...

Feb 25, 2016, 11:29 AM

personally, i'm not partial to it here.

That's not a harsh reality to me, that's just the real

Feb 25, 2016, 11:35 AM [ in reply to hired a lot of people, said good bye to many others... ]

world. People like to blame others for their mistakes, which is why they don't recognize that they fired themselves.

According to what I just said, it would appear I'm perfectly qualified for you to hire me. So it's time we took this to the next level and start negotiating salary and bonuses. $200,000 per year plus quarterly bonuses of 10% seems like a good place to start. I'll go ahead and pencil in Monday for my first day, quick question though...what's the dress code policy? TIA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Linen Trousers

Feb 25, 2016, 11:40 AM

should do nicely for presser. congrats on new position. and gwp, when you beat a top acc team on a saturday, please beat the lower tier team on the following tuesday. i do not feel thats a lot to ask.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Wait, are you saying what I think you're saying?

Feb 25, 2016, 11:43 AM

dsp is actually D-Rad?

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Shhh...others don't know

Feb 25, 2016, 11:51 AM

tci has no clue who dsp is. i have a source

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: hired a lot of people, said good bye to many others...

Feb 25, 2016, 1:20 PM [ in reply to hired a lot of people, said good bye to many others... ]

I have some doubts about you hiring lots of people. But, giving you the benefit of the doubt, if you spent the time you have been on TigerNet over the past ten years doing a little coaching of you're employees, then you might not have had to say good bye to many people! Lets see, 49,928 posts over ten years gives you an average of 4,992 per year, or 13.7 posts per day. Lets assume ten minutes of browsing for each post which amounts to 2.3 hours on TigerNet each and every day of the year. You could coach lots of those employees up to a much higher level of performance during those 2.3 hours,( or, more shockingly 35 days per year!)

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i thought those numbers would have been

Feb 25, 2016, 1:30 PM

much higher

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

personally, i'm disappointed and will have to have a talk

Feb 25, 2016, 1:33 PM

with me during my quarterly review.

smart goals, maybe i should set some?

well, time is my friend and ignorant of that is your post.

Feb 25, 2016, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: hired a lot of people, said good bye to many others... ]

if you're younger, older or have not "lived in my world", kid, perhaps your perspective on time might be the issue?

*your employees

Feb 25, 2016, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Re: hired a lot of people, said good bye to many others... ]

Also, anyone who has hired and fired people understand what dsp said is true. There are lots of people in this world who cannot be coached up and they're a cancer for your organization. Also, it's better for everyone involved for those people to fail quickly and walk them out than to drag it along.

The real world is indeed real, and lots of millennials are learning that the hard way when they show up to work and there are no designated safe spaces and participation trophies.

perhaps a PIP would help with the kid's spelling?

Feb 25, 2016, 1:48 PM

and some big boy pants for the real world? maybe bob could regift a pair, you know, hand me downs?

Re: perhaps a PIP would help with the kid's spelling?

Feb 25, 2016, 1:49 PM

Yes and yes and yes

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

thanks, dave. any chance you're really a smoking hawt chick

Feb 25, 2016, 1:51 PM

with HUGH enhancements, a willingness to learn and a penchant for yes?

if so, dsp might has the job for you.

Re: thanks, dave. any chance you're really a smoking hawt chick

Feb 25, 2016, 2:02 PM

No, but if you find one I'll show her the ropes.

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

is that a joke...

Feb 25, 2016, 2:30 PM

you're just full of 'em aren't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyGGXPeNaAE

Coaching, probably more than any other profession...

Feb 25, 2016, 11:27 AM

is results driven and after six years, the results simply aren't there.

It's a harsh reality but a reality nonetheless.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Based on what

Feb 25, 2016, 11:51 AM

Coming into this year, we were a whopping 2 games over .500 in the history of Clemson basketball. Brownell's overall winning percentage is only bettered by Cliff Ellis, Bill Foster, Rick Barnes and Oliver Purnell. And Brownell has does have the highest ACC winning percentage of any coach. Granted the ACC isn't as good as it was under Ellis and Barnes, but its much better than when Purnell was here. We don't even need to talk about what Bill Foster did to get his wins.

So I'd say Brownell's results are exactly what we should reasonably expect. Could we hope for more, absolutely. But to say he hasn't lived up to Clemson basketball standards wouldn't be fair to him.

His job is to win games and get us in the Tournament

Feb 25, 2016, 12:04 PM

He has won some games but not enough to get us in the Tournament.

Rick Barnes took us to the Tournament in three of his four years at Clemson including one Sweet 16 appearance, while OP took us to the Tournament three times in seven years.

Brownell has one Tournament appearance in six years at Clemson and that was in year one with OP's players.

I don't consider that living up to Clemson's basketball standards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The ACC is NOT much better than when OP was here

Feb 25, 2016, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Based on what ]

As a whole, I don't know but the average SOS was significantly tougher when OP was coaching at Clemson. When given the fact that we all lived through the countless talking heads in the media bashing Clemson for not playing anyone decent OOC, this speaks even more to how much tougher OP's SOS was in conference

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=19072552

Are there more teams now? Yes. Pitt and Cuse are not as good as they were before joining the ACC and we got one of those at home this year, and the other we played sans Boeheim. But back in OP's day we played Duke and UNC twice a year. OP's winning percentage against the ACC was more impressive than CBB's. Not to mention OP's produced results of getting us to the tourney, and the ACC Tourney Championship game.

i apologize, this was done quick, fast & in a hurry, but for

Feb 25, 2016, 12:38 PM

those that prefer KenPom...

[note to any & all - please feel free to check this as dsp is the white rabbit today - no rassist]

OP seems to have faced a significantly more difficult path to the postseasons.

Another telling part of what you show here is that even when

Feb 25, 2016, 12:41 PM

OP did not get Clemson to the NCAAT, the team still went to the NIT. Brownell has only done that once.

Re: i apologize, this was done quick, fast & in a hurry, but for

Feb 25, 2016, 12:41 PM [ in reply to i apologize, this was done quick, fast & in a hurry, but for ]

Re: i apologize, this was done quick, fast & in a hurry, but for

Feb 25, 2016, 12:47 PM [ in reply to i apologize, this was done quick, fast & in a hurry, but for ]

nice work - so, there you have it.

We only played Duke and UNC twice in the reg season ONCE

Feb 25, 2016, 12:57 PM [ in reply to The ACC is NOT much better than when OP was here ]

in OP's tenure, 03-34, so we can put that myth to bed

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What about this...

Feb 25, 2016, 1:24 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=19075318

does it change the fact that OP didn't play Duke and UNC

Feb 25, 2016, 1:30 PM

twice a year in the regular season every year like you claimed?

No it does not, I was wrong about that

Feb 25, 2016, 2:01 PM

We played each team once in 04-05
We played each team once in 05-06
We played Duke twice in 06-07, UNC once
We played UNC twice in 07-08, Duke once
We played each team once in 08-09
We played Duke twice in 09-10, UNC once

Better?

factually correct is always better no?***

Feb 25, 2016, 2:03 PM

That's debatable...***

Feb 25, 2016, 2:08 PM

only here***

Feb 25, 2016, 2:16 PM

Re: The ACC is NOT much better than when OP was here

Feb 25, 2016, 1:12 PM [ in reply to The ACC is NOT much better than when OP was here ]

> As a whole, I don't know but the average SOS was
> significantly tougher when OP was coaching at
> Clemson. When given the fact that we all lived
> through the countless talking heads in the media
> bashing Clemson for not playing anyone decent OOC,
> this speaks even more to how much tougher OP's SOS
> was in conference
>
> http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=
> 19072552
>
> Are there more teams now? Yes. Pitt and Cuse are
> not as good as they were before joining the ACC and
> we got one of those at home this year, and the other
> we played sans Boeheim. But back in OP's day we
> played Duke and UNC twice a year. OP's winning
> percentage against the ACC was more impressive than
> CBB's. Not to mention OP's produced results of
> getting us to the tourney, and the ACC Tourney
> Championship game.

Yes we got to the NCAA tourney, but most of the time it was 1 and done, due to his players being very tired due to his crazy running all over the court during the season.

What's better, being 1 and done in the NCAA tourney

Feb 25, 2016, 1:26 PM

or not even sniffing the tourney and not even making the NIT?

neither would be preferable***

Feb 25, 2016, 1:33 PM

Oh I'd much prefer one over the other

Feb 25, 2016, 1:51 PM

Of course having the chance to make a tourney run would be even better, which I'm sure is what you were getting at.

I would rather be punched in the gut than kicked in the head

Feb 25, 2016, 2:00 PM

I just don't get how people can brag on getting punched in the gut...I would prefer to land a punch or two, especially when we're favored

anyone who says what BB has done is better than

Feb 25, 2016, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Oh I'd much prefer one over the other ]

going one and one in the NCAAT is an absolute idiot

period

I probably should have stated the ACC strength differently

Feb 25, 2016, 1:53 PM [ in reply to The ACC is NOT much better than when OP was here ]

the ACC is definitely watered down now. There are clearly more winnable games for a team like us. So 10-8 now can be vastly different than 9-7 10 years ago depending on luck of the draw with schedule. But during the Purnell years, it was basically the NC and Duke show and then whoever could get the tiebreakers for 9-7 record. Think about it, Clemson and FSU were typically your bellcows for 3rd or 4th place. NC State was way now (and has stayed there). Maryland and VT were one man teams and way down. Miami was an embarrassment to basketball. If I recall correctly, several of those years ended with only 2 ranked ACC teams. It was record years for mediocrity for the ACC.

Now look at the top of the ACC. 4-6 teams consistently ranked at the end of the year over the last 4-5 years Miami, UVa, UNC, Duke (other than this year) consistent top 10-15. ND is in that sweet 16 range year after year. Louisville bought a bunch of hookers and they've been top 10 range since they've joined. FSU has basically stayed the same team overall and have fallen from consistently a 3rd or 4th place team in the late 00s to a 6th or 7th place team tean. They have roughly the same overall record out of conference. Sure you can make hay with wins over bad BC, VTs and GTs teams. But clearly much different and facing many more top teams now than anything OP ever faced. NCAA invitations and tournament record have borne that out.

Kweshion

Feb 25, 2016, 11:31 AM

Did said manager make the tournament this year? How about the previous 4?

+1

Feb 25, 2016, 11:36 AM

its a results driven business - and coaches know this reality.

Is he able, at this point, to attract better personnel,

Feb 25, 2016, 12:02 PM

even with all of the tools? Or is his name now so associated with failure that better potential employees don't see him as a guy who can help them to be successful at the highest level, and simply won't come to work for him when there are better options out there?

I think Clemson's problem at this point is that after 6 seasons at Clemson, Brownell has very little to point to on his recent resume that would lead the kind of player we so desperately need to believe that he can get his team deep into the NCAA tournament and national attention. It's hard to say exactly how much of that is Brownell's fault, as he certainly has not had the tradition and support from the school that more successful coaches have, but sadly, he is inextricably associated with the struggles that result from it.

I think Brownell is probably a very good basketball coach and a truly great guy, who got to Clemson at the wrong time for him.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

TL:DNR

Feb 25, 2016, 12:43 PM

Am I fired ?

DB23

is that a request and if so, do you promise to still provide

Feb 25, 2016, 12:52 PM

the pigs of beautiful sunrises across the scenic new york bay?

Re: is that a request and if so, do you promise to still provide

Feb 25, 2016, 12:56 PM

Yes of course ...but I'd like to see If I could hang around in a voluntary capacity ...maybe coffee refills and donut runs ?
#grayshirtmeBMeist!

DB23

ok, consider you fired & no sprinkles on those donuts...

Feb 25, 2016, 12:59 PM

cause, well you know...we'll award those laters.

Re: ok, consider you fired & no sprinkles on those donuts...

Feb 25, 2016, 1:03 PM

Yes !
I hate sprinkles too , but fillings is ok .

DB23

jelly...

Feb 25, 2016, 1:06 PM

that's me, i <3 the open waters.

Feb 25, 2016, 2:11 PM

If I had to fire a lot of people in my company or on my staff, I believe the problem could very well rest on my shoulders rather than those I fired.It would indicate to me I failed in the hiring, indoctrination, training, encouragement, motivation and a lot of other factors. Maybe I should be the one that's fired, but it's always easier to place the blame on someone other than ourselves.

As for me, and there may be a few others, I seem to know the answer to a lot of problems without knowing the facts. Are there any others who just happen to fall into this same category?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's reasonable, it's also reasonable that people are on

Feb 25, 2016, 2:54 PM

their best during the interview process and depending on HR today or experience, there might not be a lot of history.

if you've tried to call a corporation today to get background, you're given limited information.

things change, especially in today's world. if you've tried to part ways with someone, fire them, in the last ~20 years, unless it's egregious, then you know how difficult it can be - all things considered.

there is no doubt that companies are out to protect companies and because of this, no one is shown the door under "usual" circumstances, e.g. performance issues, unless they have been properly trained, given all the proper tools and every opportunity to change the pattern which caused the PIP or well-documented & required improvements.

there is no question, that particular person fired themselves. it was not always that way in business as a wrong look could get you shown the door - i fired someone in the late 80s for lying and it felt good.

the other issues today - integrity, harassment, corporate compliance, ethics clauses, contracts and others are pretty cut and dry... those people also show themselves the door and in some of those cases, it's really easy to protect the company as the best interest is the other 99.99% of those employed.

there are certainly failures at times in management, oversight, top down or bottom up, because they've failed to make anyone perfect or the perfect mousetrap.

it's a good post joe, i could go on for days about this, but the reality still remains - people fire themselves, are responsible for their own stead in the world and if they're not proactive enough to take advantage of all the tremendous resources available in today's age and times, then perhaps they performed at their highest level in the interview process. unfortunately that happens - that's a reality.

Following your analogy, your hire could possibly recruit

Feb 25, 2016, 2:58 PM

other good talent if he either had the right type of energetic personality, created an exciting vision of what working for your company would be, or had WOW facilities to entice potential employees. If he doesn't really have any of those things, then he may work his #### off, but the results are going to plateau at a level of mediocrity or slightly above. This is what has happened to us.

Like it or not, top notch talent kids looking to play college basketball, much more so than baseball or football by far, are looking for a place where they can make a splash, be seen as elite, and be gone to the pros in a minimum amount of time. Our present style of play and facilities offer little in the way of enticement to these blue chippers. It would take an energetic coach with a totally different style of play and personality to begin to turn this around, and unfortunately, I just don't see this happening under present management. I sincerely hope to be proven wrong.

Re: You should, already, have a couple in mind that you

Feb 25, 2016, 3:11 PM

might hire. You can't sit on your rear until you are forced to do something. Your managers should be treated fairly, but they should know that they are expendable.

Feb 26, 2016, 7:44 AM

Here is an ANALOGY you will love.
In 2013,David Cutcliff took Duke to the ACC Championship against FSU,
In 2015,Larry Fedora took UNC to the ACC Championship against Clemson.
For the most part both UNC,and Duke have been mediocre in :

"FOOTBALL"!

Not saying we are going to win the ACC Championship,but we should be at least able to compete in
"BASKETBALL"and not just be mediocre!

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic