Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC will need to add 1 more school and PSU should be the one
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,793

ACC will need to add 1 more school and PSU should be the one

Apr 29, 2014, 10:34 AM

We should start a petition to add Penn State. It would shore up the northern schools and they would have a natural rival with Pitt. Makes too much sense. Plus, the Big 10 hosed them with the Paterno thing and Penn State is not happy. I'm sure they would love to move to the ACC.

There is talk to add Connecticut but that would be terrible IMO. We have enough basketball schools with Duke, UNC, Syracuse and so on.

Penn State is dedicated to football and football only. They would bring in the entire state of Pennsylvania. I would love Clemson to play them every other year.

Once the 5 big conferences create their own league, Notre Dame would be forced to join the ACC full-time. Adding Penn State on top of that would be sweet.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: ACC will need to add 1 more school and PSU should be the one

Apr 29, 2014, 10:40 AM

And that would lock that TV market down that would expand the ACC foot print even bigger, right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC will need to add 1 more school and PSU should be the one

Apr 29, 2014, 10:46 AM

Yes. We would have a huge sections of Indiana. Pennsylvania, New York, Northeast.

Plus, Penn State brings the academic creds needed

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I agree that Penn State would be a great addition....

Apr 29, 2014, 10:58 AM

for the ACC but at this point the ACC can't match the revenue generated by the Big Ten.

I've heard from Penn State fans who never have felt welcome in the Big Ten and would prefer the ACC, in large part because of the proximity to other Big Ten schools, which is one of the main reasons the Big Ten recently added Maryland and Rutgers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

if nbc can get some more sports channel

Apr 29, 2014, 11:37 AM

The acc should lock in ND grab a 16th team, and sign a deal with nbc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

or Fox....

Apr 29, 2014, 11:40 AM

Anything to create more competition for E$ecPN not to mention more unbiased analysis.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NBC has plenty of channels. Their coverage of the last

Apr 29, 2014, 11:49 AM [ in reply to if nbc can get some more sports channel ]

Winter Olympics was incredible with all the channel options.

Plus, Comcast owns NBC now so they could create channels on their own if needed.

An ACC television deal is coming.

Apr 29, 2014, 11:47 AM [ in reply to I agree that Penn State would be a great addition.... ]

Negotiate with PSU during that time.

I have absolutely zero confidence in John Swofford....

Apr 29, 2014, 12:11 PM

and his ability to negotiate on behalf of the ACC.

This is the same buffoon that gave away its members’ most valuable televised properties but accepted sub-par rights fees in order to keep his buddies over at Raycom afloat (a company that just so happens to employ Swofford's son).

Swofford ultimately signed away more rights than other competing conferences, and he did so for a MUCH smaller payout.

Re: I have absolutely zero confidence in John Swofford....

Apr 29, 2014, 12:23 PM

Fire Swofford!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have absolutely zero confidence in John Swofford....

Apr 29, 2014, 2:15 PM

many people don't like swofford but who outside of the big east who would you have added to our conference that would have been better? he was limited and the better schools were in conferences that paid them more than us. I still think he sold us out by his stance with allowing nd football to not be a full time member. imo he should have told them they had to be a full member or nothing. but he was trying to get some better exposure for the acc and a better tv contract. but if at some time nd does not become a full time member he will have egg all over his face and especially if they join some other conference. I think it was a mistake for not taking wv. they would have not been any worse than Louisville.

I agree, but,

Apr 29, 2014, 1:43 PM

PSU has traditional rivalries in-conference with OSU, Michigan, and MSU that I imagine they wouldn't want to stop

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't be a debbie downer

Apr 29, 2014, 2:46 PM

you negative nancy you

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Yeah really in a few years they'll be playing 30 game

Apr 29, 2014, 2:48 PM

seasons anyways & will be able to have 10 non-conference opponents.

This of course will be after the NCAA

Apr 29, 2014, 2:51 PM

makes football a two hand touch sport and the players have to use a balloon, wear bras and tin foil hats, and hug each other to gain points.

Cause that's the way football is moving

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

I don't think we had much of a shot at Penn State regardless

Apr 29, 2014, 3:45 PM

but our chances went from slim to none when Maryland walked out the door.

Believe it or not, that was the one benefit of having the Terps: Penn State would have loved to have been in the same conference as Maryland, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh. They have long-standing rivalries with all three schools. It would have been the perfect fit for them, and Virginia and Virginia Tech would have been nice, too.

Never say never, but I don't think there's much of a chance of Penn State bolting now.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pretty much.

Apr 29, 2014, 9:54 PM

plus, we don't compete in a lot of sports that they dominate
Wrestling, women's volleyball, gymnastics, fencing. Also, they just went big into men's hockey (built a new arena) and added women's hockey.

Penn State (the B1G in general) think they are too good for the ACC. Maryland and Rutgers gave the B1G some geographical balances and I think PSU is happy where they are now.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Sure, call them. But don't hold your breath.

Apr 29, 2014, 2:45 PM

Penn State is a giant state school in a conference of giant state schools.

Although the money differential is overstated, it is there...leaving the Big Ten is a pay cut for them right now.

Although the "fringe" feeling used to be a factor, it's less-so now. Bringing in Rutgers and Maryland are reorganizing to an East/West structure helped that.

Although they probably don't love playing those mid-western and great plains team, the East/West structure has put them in a division where EVERY year they will play local teams Maryland and Rutgers and powerhouses Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State. Only Indiana in their division offers little.

Although they probably have found our East Coast focus attractive, we have gone fairly heavy in "basketball" the last go around - adding Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville. As you said, Penn State fans love big-time football.

And although Pitt is the traditional rival, when they play them in 2016 it will be the first time in 16 years.

Would love to have them but I do not see them as viable.

More realistic:

Navy - great academics, national "brand", national game every year against Army, DC market, attractive to Notre Dame.

UConn - great men's and women's basketball, good school, good geography.

Cincy - Good basketball, fleshes out that region with ND and Louisville.

Temple - In footprint, in a huge, overlooked market, some basketball tradition...um...you might get to meet Bill Cosby.

West Virginia - Great traveling fans, great rivals with current members, great geography. At this point the Big 12 has to be done with this Eastern US experiment.

One of the other Florida schools. I can't justify it...just saying.

null

Re: Sure, call them. But don't hold your breath.

Apr 29, 2014, 9:14 PM

Unless Notre Dame becomes a full-fledged member, I would take Penn State now and show ND the door.

That would either make my life awesome

Apr 29, 2014, 9:55 PM

or a living hell.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

To bad UCF hasn't grown up yet. Or I'd suggest them.

Apr 29, 2014, 10:06 PM

They have a huge student body and some resources. I'd rather go to Orlando and have that Fla market than WV or Penn, IMO. Plus it could maybe help in recruiting. Wouldn't mind a bi-annual trip to sunny Orlando. Call me crazy, I'm just not looking forward to Pittsburgh or Syracuse, again.

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,793
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic