Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commentary: Clemson Fortunate TDP Is Hanging Around
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Aug 24, 2007, 3:32 PM

Phillips says no to Arkansas and the Big 12. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EIGHT YEARS of football mediocrity. Thanks TDP.****

Aug 24, 2007, 4:01 PM

That is very insightful

Aug 24, 2007, 4:04 PM

keep your uninformed and ill-advised thoughts to yourself

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tigertown

And thank you for your 22 posts. NOT!

Aug 24, 2007, 4:05 PM [ in reply to EIGHT YEARS of football mediocrity. Thanks TDP.**** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

A telling paragraph in the article

Aug 24, 2007, 4:08 PM [ in reply to EIGHT YEARS of football mediocrity. Thanks TDP.**** ]

"Bowden is back under the microscope again this season and, despite record season ticket sales and IPTAY giving, deservedly so. Phillips has seen the talent level of the football program increase, but not the production. He could be facing a tough decision on Bowden's future again at the end of this season."

I don't know about the end of this season but I'd certainly agree about perhaps facing a decision. Last year's slide really has me wondering if we have see the highwater mark from TB on victories. The deservedly so part I agree with .

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sir, are an idiot***

Aug 24, 2007, 4:43 PM [ in reply to EIGHT YEARS of football mediocrity. Thanks TDP.**** ]

Uh, TDP hasn't been here 8 yrs Einstein***

Aug 24, 2007, 5:34 PM [ in reply to EIGHT YEARS of football mediocrity. Thanks TDP.**** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know. 5 yrs. But he could have stopped an 8 yr TB slide.*****

Aug 25, 2007, 3:08 PM

downside of message boards- average idiot has a platform.***

Aug 24, 2007, 5:49 PM [ in reply to EIGHT YEARS of football mediocrity. Thanks TDP.**** ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly what i was thinking......***

Aug 24, 2007, 6:20 PM

You name-call and think my posts are dumb? How ironic! ******

Aug 25, 2007, 3:22 PM [ in reply to downside of message boards- average idiot has a platform.*** ]

We're the 24th best program in America in that span.***

Aug 24, 2007, 7:45 PM [ in reply to EIGHT YEARS of football mediocrity. Thanks TDP.**** ]

The orange colored glasses will blast you, but you have

Aug 24, 2007, 6:51 AM [ in reply to EIGHT YEARS of football mediocrity. Thanks TDP.**** ]

every right to your opinion. As for me, I long for the leadership and business savy of Bill McLellan.

"Orange colored glasses"

Aug 25, 2007, 8:27 AM

We're 24th in the entire country since 2000. We're having our 3rd best decade in school history and 3 great recruiting classes in a row. While I absolutely want us to do to better, how can you refer to these facts as though they're merely being seen through orange colored glasses?

Re: "Orange colored glasses", Very telling.

Aug 25, 2007, 2:46 PM

Even if you conveniently ignore Tommy's first year, and start with the year 2000, Clemson has only finished ranked in the AP three times (2000-#16, 2003-#22, & 2005-#21) I don't see how you can contort that into Clemson being 24th in the country. But if you're satisfied with somehow being 24th, and having the 3rd best decade, and having "great" recruiting classes (while Steve Spurrier brings in a top 10 recruiting class) then everything is fine and dandy at Clemson. No need to make any changes. Keep TDP. Keep Tommy. Personally, I want Clemson to have a top tier football program, with an occasional ACC title and an occasional run at #1.

Bowden has done a pretty good job recruiting-- which gives me hope-- but his teams always disappoint relative to the talent. (Clemson ranked #7 in players sent to the NFL last year, but finished unranked in the AP.) Bowden's perennial failure to translate talent into success has been widely reported by national pundits who wonder why TDP has kept Tommy-- so I don't think it's just me. With Clemson's neighboring athletic directors hiring guys like Butch Davis, Tom B'Brien, Steve Spurrier, and Mark Richt, I fear that recruiting and winning are going to get a whole lot harder.

You must have never read any of my other posts regarding

Aug 25, 2007, 5:18 PM

this issue. Almost everytime I have prefaced the above FACTS with my statement that we need to do better. Guess I forgot to add that to the post above.

Regardless of that, the FACTS remain - we are 24th this decade and in our 3rd best decade in history. The only coaches who have doen better than Tommy Bowden are Danny Ford and John Heisman. What are you used to? I don't know how old you are, but chances are you weren't around when Heisman was walking our sidelines. It's certainly possible you were a fan when Ford was coach, but the bottom line is he was the only coach since the early 1900's to have done better than Bowden is doing right now.

I'm merely stating facts here.

And you mentioned 1999 - do you recall Bowden was ACC Coach of the Year that year?

Additionally, did I say I was "satisfied" with 24th? No, I didn't. Only stated the facts as they are. In reality I want to be number 1 in the country, and I certainly never said anything about "fine and dandy" either. You have obviously taken a lot of liberty with my words.

Our talent is just now in a position to advance to the next level. Our last 3 classes have been "great". I'm not sure where you get the idea that we've disappointed "relative to the talent". Our first few classes had a couple good players, but nothing like we're doing now. If Bowden doesn't get the corner turned this year, then he will have to pay the piper.

Davis hasn't coached a game at UNC.

Spurrier hasn't done anything at USC other than beat Clemson. His "Top 10" class hasn't played a down and already lost about 20% of the class. Perhaps you should wait before crowning Spurrier the King of SC.

Finally, can you please link a few of these national "pundits" who wonder why we've kept Bowden? Thanks in advance.

point...good comeback...which is what TB will do this year..

Aug 26, 2007, 12:33 AM

the season hasn't started yet and still some of you people are already talking down about the coach. He is here atleast until December so stop bitchin and just enjoy the season. There's way too much to look forward to about this coming year to start BEFORE KICKOFF complaining. Rally behind the tigers AND coach TB. Its time to just love the Tigers again and enjoy the thing we should all love....CLEMSON FOOTBALL.

See Ya'll on Labor Day!

Photobucket

Sorry I don?t have your posts memorized Tooka.

Aug 26, 2007, 2:53 AM [ in reply to You must have never read any of my other posts regarding ]

So I?m sorry if I misinterpreted your post. Hopefully it wasn?t as bad as your inference that I?m ?crowning Spurrier King of SC?. :)

If you had my posts memorized (or if you clicked on my TigerNet alias) you?d see that I attended Clemson during the Ford glory years. I long for that level of success on the field and I see no reason (except regime change) why Clemson can?t be a top tier program.

I?d still like to know how it is a "fact" that Clemson is #24 in the country this decade. Would you please provide data or a link?

Per your request, following are links to three recent commentaries (of the many I?ve read) from nationally recognized pundits.

Sports Illustrated: List of 10 worst coaches:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/07/10/mailbag/index.html
Tommy Bowden, Clemson: How does a team with James Davis, C.J. Spiller and Gaines Adams manage to lose four of its last five? How does a program with Clemson's resources fail to crack 8-4? And how has Bowden managed to survive half a decade on the hot seat?

ESPN: 20 predictions for the ?07 ??08 season.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2776460
"Clemson will struggle again: The Tigers will have a pair of 1,000-yard runners, James Davis and C.J. Spiller, but they'll lose to Florida State in the opener and will be 3-3 after losing to Virginia Tech at home. However, coach Tommy Bowden will find some way to finish 7-5 and hope it's enough to save his job for another season."

SportingNews? Tom Dienhart (who ranked Tommy 47th among the 66 BCS coaches, and 9th of the 12 ACC coaches.) wrote this article about Bowden?
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=2226851

It?s not just me. Really.

But I sincerely hope that Tommy proves us wrong and leads Clemson to an ACC title this year, and regularly thereafter. I remain hopeful beyond reason.

Go Tigers!

Championships Begin with Scholarships? The facts:

Aug 25, 2007, 7:51 AM

Last 5 years under Bobby R - 15 ACC championships (all sports). The 5 years under TDP - 5 titles. Zero last year.

Re: Commentary: Clemson Fortunate TDP Is Hanging Around

Aug 25, 2007, 8:49 AM

Any other job that you entertain and still retain your current, and your employer knows. That employer is a idiot. Clemson is not lucky.

TDP is just what the doctor ordered for Clemson. (Long)

Aug 25, 2007, 9:07 AM

Fans rarely look past the coach on the sidelines when judging the cause of a football program's rise or decline. But the truth is the whole program ultimately rests on the shoulders of the AD. We all loved Danny Ford, but it was Bill McLellan that engineered Clemson's rise to greatness in the 70's and 80's. McLellan was a football guy. He had played at Clemson and football was his top priority. Nationally he was known as the teeth behind the Tiger program. When he was replaced by Bobby Robinson (a golf coach) Clemson's decline began immediately. Robinson stated that Clemson fans were loyal and would fill death valley no matter what. And, Clemson did not need to be a national power in football, just as long as we went to an occasional bowl game the fans would be happy. His first official move was to get rid of Danny Ford and hire Ken Hatfield. Hatfield took over a team ranked third in the nation and eventually led us to the first losing season in 16 years. Robinson got the mediocrity he wanted and the result was that the athletic program went from being completely self supporting to being in serious financial trouble. Whatever else you want to say TDP is a football guy who is committed to excellence. The fact that others want to hire him away is evidence of what a good job he has done. The financial condition of the athletic department has dramatically improved, the football stadium is filled again, and the basketball program is on the rise. TDP is exactly what we need in an AD.

Couldn't agree more.***

Aug 25, 2007, 6:30 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic