Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A tale of two losses
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

A tale of two losses

Dec 11, 2013, 10:34 AM

Team A lost to two teams ranked in the top 10

Team B lost to one team ranked #11 and to an unranked team with a losing record.

Team B should stop whining about no BCS. They lost to a bad UT team. Otherwise they might be playing in a BCS team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A tale of two losses

Dec 11, 2013, 10:37 AM

Who is Team B? UGA is not #11...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2013, 10:39 AM

They were ranked #11 at the time USuC played them. They have obviously since fallen in the rankings.

I doubt it.

Dec 11, 2013, 10:50 AM

The BCS allows for only two from a conference and they were the fourth in line. I know, they would have had only one loss but they'll always suck hind teat behind half a dozen other SEC teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good old Rocky Top!

Dec 11, 2013, 10:54 AM

Much too Rocky for the Gamecocks!

They got volunteered!

Too bad, we didn't do the same.

Who did they beat? Why only look at losses?

Dec 11, 2013, 10:57 AM

Does it matter that FSU killed CU at home? Scar won by 14, I don't care how many just how many. Just like Tigers took advantage of uga bad snap on fg attempt, it is part of the game.

BCS rankings take all of this into account....where do those two teams stand in BCS?

I hope next year brings a better system until a full playoff is reached.

In college football, avoiding losses is impressive

Dec 11, 2013, 11:49 AM

Maybe as impressive as accumulating some quality wins. That's why there's only one undefeated team (again) at the end of the season - it ain't easy beating them all, even teams you're favored to beat.

It happens every year; at around week 8 or 9 the discussions start up about which of the 5 or 6 undefeated teams will get screwed over and not get to play for the MNC. And every year, by week 13, those scenarios prove to be moot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2013, 11:04 AM

Does Team B also sit higher in the final rankings after beating Team A by 2 touchdowns?
Is Team B the only team in the country to have defeated 2 BCS teams this year?
Is Team B the only team to have defeated 3 teams in the final top 15 this year?
Is Team B the only team in the nation to beat 4 teams with 10 wins this season?

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

You'l be called a coot in 3,2,,,oh wait ;-) ****

Dec 11, 2013, 11:12 AM

Is one of the 10-win teams Coastal Carolina? Just curious.***

Dec 11, 2013, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: A tale of two losses ]

I can't figure out who the 4th team is.

True on all accounts but it is what it is. Sec, in this case

Dec 11, 2013, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Re: A tale of two losses ]

Is why no bcs. That and the bcs rules saying no more than 2 from one conf

You can have a cookie coot, but no bcs bowl to put it in.***

Dec 11, 2013, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: A tale of two losses ]

Is Team B the only team that will never play in a BCS

Dec 11, 2013, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: A tale of two losses ]

No, but they are one of them!

LOL
Coots

Dec 11, 2013, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re: A tale of two losses ]

lol @ counting Coastal as a huge win.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 11, 2013, 11:51 AM

Bowl invitations have nothing to do with rankings. The bowls don't decide who they're going to pick based on ranking, record, or any of that stuff. Bowls pick from the limited pool of teams available to them based on factors such as proximity, TV viewers, political pressure, fan interest, etc.

This is why the "deserve" or "don't deserve" the Orange Bowl debate misses the point. "Deserve" has nothing to do with it. Bowls don't choose who "deserves" to play in their bowl, they choose who they think will bring the most fans, money, etc. Nobody from Clemson should feel a bit "bad" or "unworthy" of the Orange Bowl, because "deserves" isn't a criteria for these bowls.

Dec 11, 2013, 6:08 PM

As Clint Eastwood's character says in the movie "Unforgiven" :

Gene Hackman's character while looking down the barrel of Eastwood's gun says "I don't deserve to die this way". Eastwood replies, "Deservings got nothing to do with it".

Boom.

The SEC bias makes people underestimate the Tennessee loss

Dec 11, 2013, 11:54 AM

That was a bad loss. Even with a win over a top 10 team, Tennessee is ranked below North Carolina, Toledo, Bowling Green, Houston, Ball State, Rice, etc. in the computer polls.

Ok try this

Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 PM

Everyone on here loves to point out we lost to UT. It was a bad loss. I guess when you can't beat your rival, it's ok to live vicariously through a team that was able to beat the Gamecocks.

Ranked higher in the BCS.
Much more impressive resume.
Oh yeah won the head to head matchup handily (again).
What is left to dispute?

Clemson is a solid team but is it BCS worthy? Of course not. Enjoy the last year of a broken system. I can't imagine what you would be saying if our roles were reversed, but I know... We did lose to UT that's something Clemson can hang their hat on.

Re: Ok try this

Dec 11, 2013, 12:16 PM

Ok. Role reversal. You're saying that if Clemson had beat SC but lost to Rice or Toledo, then we would clearly be more deserving of a BCS bowl? SC didn't fall that far in the rankings after the Tennessee loss because the SEC bias made voters think a loss to Tennessee wasn't as bad as a loss to Rice or Toledo. But the fact is it was a WORSE loss (see the rankings). And you better believe we would have dropped out of the top 20 if not the top 25 with a loss to Toledo or Rice.

Role reversal

Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM

That's exactly what I'm saying. If we played your schedule, and you ours, you would've then have to have beaten good teams along the way. If the gamecocks had lost 2 of the only 3 games that are challenging, including losing by double digits to your rival, of course Clem would be more deserving of the BCS game.
In reality we ended the season on a high note, while Clem didn't beat a good team outside of week one all season. I think that's a fair statement

If your team had played our schedule you would have 3 losses

Dec 11, 2013, 1:39 PM

FSU
GA
NC State or other loss equivalent to UT

This is probably true.

Dec 12, 2013, 6:08 AM

I would say maybe they would beat Georgia since it would have been at home, and everyone knows Scar is a much different team at home than away. But most likely 3 losses.

Dec 16, 2020, 6:56 PM

Hey, I am a coot, and I would call him a lot worse! Talking smack on your rivals board is .... The day after or the next 2 days is understandable but now - unacceptable

Was at the bank today and saw flags still on a car and thought how sad. I actually liked seeing tiger flags on the Sunday after, shows you still love your team. Thought about acknowledging their fandom but couldn't think of any way that might not be misunderstood so I just went on.

Schedule

Dec 11, 2013, 3:06 PM

And if you played our schedule, you wouldn't have played Georgia at DV, would've lost to Mizzou, obviously South Carolina, and possibly UCF (in Orlando), possibly vandy, possibly miss st, etc. It's easy to say who would've beaten who on the others schedule, but I think it's best to let the head to head matchup speak for itself

Yes the coots count coastal as a big win***

Dec 11, 2013, 3:11 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coastal?

Dec 11, 2013, 3:23 PM

Who said anything about coastal? Sorry we only play one FCS team per year. Although I'm sure the citadel and sc state appreciate their checks.

Re: Coastal?

Dec 11, 2013, 3:25 PM

I will type slow so hopefully you will follow along....

Your fellow #### lover above bragged about how they beat 4 10 win teams. Coastal being one of those.

UCF being another.

null

More importantly, Team A lost to Team B

Dec 11, 2013, 3:24 PM

By double digits.
For the 5th straight year.

I'll take the BCS bowl but thanks for playing***

Dec 11, 2013, 4:58 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll take the BCS bowl but thanks for playing***

Dec 11, 2013, 6:21 PM

I will say this for UT, they may have finished 5-7, but they probably played the strongest schedule in the nation based upon final rankings. They played ranked teams Auburn, Bama, Mizzou, Oregon,UGA, SC and Vandy. And yes, Vandy is a good win these past two seasons. Had UT played a schedule similar to many teams across the country they likely would have won 7 or more. They lost to UGA by three, beat SC, and not many teams would have beaten Bama, Auburn, Oregon or Mizzou this year outside of the top ten. Howmany top fifteen type teams get through those seven games with fewer than three losses?

As usual all the coots on here are missing the point

Dec 11, 2013, 4:12 PM

You had a BAAAAD loss. One that cost you a seat at the SEC Championship and a possibly a BCS bowl. Instead of crying about Clemson or any other team that "unfairly" got a BCS berth you didn't get, you should have beaten UT and not "pulled a USuC".

Cutting to the chase, does this mean that the ##### will get

Dec 11, 2013, 6:21 PM

4th place rings rather than their usual 5th place rings? Congrats!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cutting to the chase, does this mean that USCjr will get

Dec 11, 2013, 6:37 PM

4th rings rather than their usual 5 th place rings!

Sorry for double post - should have known better than use Co#ks!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think ESPN was worried

Dec 11, 2013, 8:37 PM

a 2 loss SC would win the SEC; but Mizzou won, ensuring a 1 loss SEC champ. ESPN's second wish came true the next week; OH ST lost sending a 1 loss SEC team to the NC.

Dec 11, 2013, 11:28 PM

Let me try,

Team A is in a BCS conference, is 10-2 and lost to SC by 14 points.

Team B is in a BCS conference, is 11-1 and lost to SC by 3 in their only lost.

UCF must be better then Clemson!!

You coots really are illiterate. Sorry - I'll

Dec 11, 2013, 11:34 PM

help you out with the big word - it means can't read.

"Team B should stop whining about no BCS".

Last time I checked UCF is going to the Fiesta. If you're going to come on this board at least take a class at Midlands Tech so you can learn how to read.

Re: You coots really are illiterate. Sorry - I'll

Dec 14, 2013, 12:00 PM

I used the same logic you used to point out that UCF is better than Clemson... do you disagree?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever

Dec 12, 2013, 12:44 AM

done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic