Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wifi mesh or whatever they're called - Looking to help the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Wifi mesh or whatever they're called - Looking to help the

Mar 27, 2017, 2:03 PM

economy and buy one for he house (2k Sq Ft). What should I get?
TIA

Stay safe and be safe!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

"Anyone, anyone"

Mar 23, 2020, 11:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhiCFdWeQfA

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A smaller house would help.***

Mar 23, 2020, 11:41 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eero fan here

Mar 23, 2020, 11:43 AM

only because when I went mesh they were the first.

Interesting, Sonos Systems has been using mesh a long time for their systems and I used to use it in places in my house where wifi could not reach. I never could get one of those wifi extenders to work, but a mesh system solves it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Eero fan here

Mar 23, 2020, 12:08 PM

You know if it works with Verizon Fios W/out verizon tv?

I do not. I have Spectrum internet.

Mar 23, 2020, 12:43 PM

Might want to do some googling on that, I know Fios is a weird setup.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've heard good things about it, but I don't have one

Mar 23, 2020, 12:11 PM

HTH :)

I'm contemplating, maybe the google system, but I need to find out if my AT&T fiber modem/router can be converted to just a modem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I have the Google Nest wifi system

Mar 23, 2020, 1:43 PM

And I was able to plug it into my Google Fiber modem/router. I just had to turn off the wifi function for the box. Im thinking AT&T would have something similar.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

It can and it’s easy.***

Mar 23, 2020, 1:52 PM [ in reply to I've heard good things about it, but I don't have one ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whale - I'll byte

Mar 23, 2020, 12:55 PM

couple of questions that will determine the answer and not included in original ask:
- Who is your internet provider?
- What bandwidth do you currently have?
- Can this combination allow you to send pigs of wife's teddies?

If ATT, you're screwed, like me, to use their POS hardware. I have a mesh network set up and it's not worth a crap. The mesh router can't support the bandwidth from their modem (1 gig). I've read 3rd party routers simply will not work but haven't tried any. HTH

My plan is to wait until my moving offer expires and go with Comcast so I can set up my own home network with WAPs where ##### I want em. I have read positive stories around people setting up their own wi-fi networks with 3rd party WAPs through Comcast. A deal w/ the devil so to speak

Well that answers my concern...

Mar 23, 2020, 1:24 PM

Supposedly Google Fiber is coming to my neighborhood, they just micro trenched our street with fiber for it. Should I switch to that?

I have AT&T Fiber right now, gigabit internet is the best thing ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Google has enough blackmail on me without me

Mar 23, 2020, 1:51 PM

Turning over my entire life via a Google router and/or fiber.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Verizon fios, Up/down - 57mbps, #### no***

Mar 23, 2020, 1:35 PM [ in reply to whale - I'll byte ]

Do you have ethernet ports around your house?

Mar 23, 2020, 1:53 PM

for WAPs? or are you looking for a straight up wi-fi extender?

I used to implement the Cisco WAPs for work, so I was planning to start here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/access-points/index.html#~benefits

If you want a wifi extender (I don't think these require ethernet), then I believe the google et al. products would probably work fine.

sorry not more help - I've kicked this can down the road to Q4

Sorry senor, different experience here.

Mar 23, 2020, 1:49 PM [ in reply to whale - I'll byte ]

ATT gig fiber with my Netgear orbi setup. 900+ Meg at the Primary router Ethernet port, and 450-ish up and down off the satellite router via WiFi.

i'll just be dayummed

Mar 23, 2020, 1:56 PM

you have ATT U-verse internet with 3rd party routers?

would you mind posting set up? I was told and have read their stuff wouldn't work with 3rd party modems, and then 3rd party routers wouldn't broadcast a signal from their router...

Not at home right now but I’ll check. As I recall

Mar 23, 2020, 2:03 PM

Their box doesn’t have a true bridge mode, but I disabled WiFi on it, and put my router into the DMZ and used IP passthru. Basically almost as good as a bridge at that point. Probably a touch more latency than if it were true layer 2, but at 900+MB, who’s gonna notice?

Netgear Orbi has been fantastic for us.***

Mar 23, 2020, 1:46 PM

FIL bought all the SIL's this for Christmas

Mar 23, 2020, 2:15 PM

I got the Google Nest mesh system for my birthday. Im almost certain me getting a router/mesh network encouraged him to buy all the son in laws a system. Poor guy didnt process I did not need one. So we gave it back to him to return. Did not get anything in return for our honesty.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic