Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A question for you golfers. What determines...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

A question for you golfers. What determines...

Apr 15, 2019, 9:58 PM

If a golf tournament is a “major”?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't wait to hear these answers :>)

Apr 15, 2019, 10:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A question for you golfers. What determines...

Apr 15, 2019, 10:19 PM

Read this,this might answer your question(Note:It does compare the difference between a regular tour event and a major)...https://www.quora.com/In-professional-golf-what-is-the-main-difference-between-a-major-and-a-regular-tournament-Since-the-players-are-mostly-the-same-why-would-it-be-more-difficult-to-win-a-major-than-a-regular-tour-event

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The short answer is the qualification requirements to play..

Apr 15, 2019, 10:27 PM

Participation in a "major" tournament is by invitation only while most regular tour events are effectively open to any player with a Tour card or a sponsor's exemption (places in the playing field that are set aside to be filled at the discretion of the tournament's sponsor even though a player may not otherwise meet the qualifying criteria for the tournament).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

i wonder about this for golf too

Apr 15, 2019, 10:49 PM

It's simple in tennis. The 4 grand slams (Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and US Open) are worth the most ranking points. 2000 for the winner (1,200 for runner up, 720 for semifinalists and so on)

There are 9 "masters series" events (Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome, Montreal/Toronto yearly rotation, Cincinnati, Shaghai and Paris) that are worth 1000 points to the winner in the schedule and then every other week is filled with either 500 point or 250 point tournaments.

Of course in tennis the world rankings are more important than they are in golf since seeding and tournament draws are determined by ranking in pro tennis. Like I never even hear people reference a golfers ranking while in tennis it's often the first thing mentioned about a player.

Apr 15, 2019, 10:55 PM

If it’s not The Masters, U.S. Open, British Open (commonly referred to as “The Open”), or PGA Championship......

Then it’s not a major.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2019, 10:59 PM

True but The Players is an “Almost Major” !

Apr 16, 2019, 10:02 AM

Many people call it the 5th major

Since ~1960 anyway***

Apr 15, 2019, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Re: A question for you golfers. What determines... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has to be promoted from "Captain" tournament.***

Apr 16, 2019, 8:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2019, 9:46 AM

At one time, during Bobby Joes prime, the four majors were the US Open, The British Open, the US Amateur, and the British Amateur. Thus, he won the "grand slam" in 1930. Jones 13 "major" victories was broken up almost half and half between the opens and the amateurs ..... not sure the exact break -up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

four tournaments with four different "championships"

Apr 16, 2019, 10:16 AM

US Open is awarded by the USGA (US Golf Association)

British Open (aka "The Open) is awarded by the R&A (Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews)

PGA Championship is awarded by the PGA (Professional Golf Association)

the Masters Championship is awarded by a private club (Bobby Jones being the founder, was maybe the most famous person on Earth at the time who wasn't a leader of a nation). That's how that one achieved its importance. Plus, it's so FREAKINGLY perfectly run, just the jewel of all sporting events.

Ranking them in importance is somewhat debatable.

no doubt the PGA is #4
US Open is solidly #3
Masters and British are #1/2 according to who you ask. About split public-wise, but I think a PGA player would vote Masters because of the perks involved (lifetime Augusta membership and all the cool stuff that comes withit). Winning the others just gets you a 10-year exemption to play in it and the others.

Sorry, Scooter, but if you were practicing your game

Apr 17, 2019, 10:23 AM

thinking winning The Masters would get you membership at Augusta National, you can stop. Latest membership list I saw only had one professional golfer on it, Jack Nicklaus. Arnold Palmer was also a member before he died. Winning The Masters does NOT get you in as a member.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suppose my brevity is at fault here

Apr 17, 2019, 11:14 AM

I should have said "honorary" membership. No, they don't have a full membership like the invited dues-paying members do. But a Masters Champion can return and play ANGC any time that the course is open for the rest of his life with another member (which you wouldn't think would be very difficult to find). They have a locker in the clubhouse and many privileges that non-winners would never have. That's the gist of my first comment - it's a sweet, life-long deal that is incomparably greater than winning a US Open, for example.

I may even argue that the honorary membership may be better than being a regular member. Certainly is the cheaper option.

It is nebulous at best. I think the real answer is, if

Apr 16, 2019, 10:52 AM

players that normally win tournaments down the stretch with good play, instead begin to gag on three foot putts, hit irons either 20 yards short or 20 yards left or right, putt the ball off greens into bunkers, leave bunker shots IN bunkers, it's probably a major.

The US Open, PGA Championship, Open Championship (I still think of it as the British Open) earned their way to Major status as being hard to win Championships of something, either a nation or region, or organization. The Masters, on the other hand, achieved Major status through the driving personality of Bobby Jones and Clifford Roberts, who determined that their course, and their tournament, would simply be better than anyone elses.

Ironically, I believe that Bobby Jones is also ultimately responsible for the total number of majors each year being held at 4. His 1930 Grand slam, or "The Impregnable Quadrilateral" as one sportswriter of the day called it, consisted of the four major championships of the day, US Amateur, US Open, British Amateur, British Open. As time moved on and the amateur game was overshadowed by the pros, the PGA Championship and later the Masters replaced the two amateur events in the world pantheon.

There is lobbying for the Players Championship to be added as a Major, and it may eventually get there. That is up to the PGA Tour and PGA membership powers that be, I think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2019, 4:47 PM

The plain truth is that a tournament is a "Major" simply because the media has anointed it as such.

Apr 17, 2019, 4:56 PM

They were major tournaments a long time before media was involved.

Apr 17, 2019, 4:59 PM

The US Open is the biggest tournament hosted by the USGA

The British Open is the biggest tournament hosted by the R&A

The PGA Championship is the biggest tournament hosted by the PGA.

And The Masters, well... it’s The Masters.

Apr 17, 2019, 4:59 PM

The US Open is the biggest tournament hosted by the USGA

The British Open is the biggest tournament hosted by the R&A

The PGA Championship is the biggest tournament hosted by the PGA.

And The Masters, well... it’s The Masters.

A lot of comments implying that it's always been the

Apr 17, 2019, 5:25 PM

same 4 tournaments. Just gonna copy-paste from Wikipedia here, but it's good info:

"The majors originally consisted of two British tournaments, The Open Championship and The Amateur Championship, and two American tournaments, the U.S. Open and the U.S. Amateur. With the introduction of the Masters Tournament in 1934, and the rise of professional golf in the late 1940s and 1950s, the term "major championships" eventually came to describe the Masters, the U.S. Open, the Open Championship, and the PGA Championship. It is difficult to determine when the definition changed to include the current four tournaments, although many trace it to Arnold Palmer's 1960 season. After winning the Masters and the U.S. Open to start the season, he remarked that if he could win the Open Championship and PGA Championship to finish the season, he would complete "a grand slam of his own" to rival Bobby Jones's 1930 feat. Until that time, many U.S. players such as Byron Nelson also considered the Western Open and the North and South Open as two of golf's majors, and the British PGA Matchplay Championship was as important to British and Commonwealth professionals as the PGA Championship was to Americans.

During the 1950s, the short-lived World Championship of Golf was viewed as a major by its competitors, as its first prize was worth almost ten times any other event in the game, and it was the first event whose finale was televised live on U.S. television."

"Golf writer Dan Jenkins.. has noted that "the pros didn't talk much about majors back then. I think it was Herbert Warren Wind who starting using the term. He said golfers had to be judged by the major tournaments they won, but it's not like there was any set number of major tournaments."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_major_golf_championships#History

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic