Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do you really want Purnell back?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Do you really want Purnell back?

Mar 12, 2013, 4:48 PM

DePaul (Big East Conference) (2010–present)
2010-11 DePaul 7-24 1-17 16th
2011-12 DePaul 12-18 3-15 16th
2012-13 DePaul 11-15 2-11
DePaul: 31-57 (.352) 6-47 (.113)

A .113 conference win percentage with a .352 overall win percentage? I think we should wait one more season and make a decision then with Brownell.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were beyond awful when he got there

Mar 12, 2013, 4:54 PM

Any coach would struggle in that situation. Just like any coach that was coming to Clemson after Purnell was bound to struggle. People just need to recognize realities and be patient.

I agree

Mar 12, 2013, 4:57 PM

Brownell came into a tough situation. All things considered I think he has done a pretty good job. It's not like we have a long history of winning. (not that I'm making excuses)

you don't follow basketball do you?

Mar 12, 2013, 4:56 PM

Before OP went to depaul I think they won something like 3 games the year before. They had a 2 season Big East losing streak.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and now they have won about 6 in 3 years? no thank you***

Mar 12, 2013, 4:58 PM

No thanks***

Mar 12, 2013, 4:56 PM

uninformed....

Mar 12, 2013, 4:58 PM

or just stupid

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Sorry you disagree and feel the need to put down others that

Mar 12, 2013, 4:59 PM

have differing views. Good day sir!

but you have no basis or give no reason for your argument

Mar 12, 2013, 5:01 PM

we lost a coach that went to the NCAA three years in a row and took us to the ACCT title game...

and you cite his record at DePaul as reason to not want him????

I'm all for differing views... but at least make sense.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I SAID GOOD DAY***

Mar 12, 2013, 5:02 PM

^^^Willy Wonka***

Mar 12, 2013, 5:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

So you do want him back?***

Mar 12, 2013, 5:01 PM [ in reply to uninformed.... ]

I haven't seen anyone asking for him back....

Mar 12, 2013, 5:08 PM

but to suggest that he's not a good coach, or that he can't win, etc... is ridiculous.

I am a BB fan... but to look at what OP did and to say "I wouldn't want him back" is stupid.

And that's not a knock on BB.

The way he left is a HUGE no thanks for me***

Mar 12, 2013, 5:14 PM

Agreed....

Mar 12, 2013, 6:03 PM

I appreciate what OP did for Clemson basketball but the manner in which he handled his departure is inexcusable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I agree with that...and that is my point

Mar 12, 2013, 6:48 PM

If you don't want him back b/c of how he left, that is fine and understandable...

but the original poster is saying we shoudn't want him back based on what he's done at DePaul

Absolutely not !! *****

Mar 12, 2013, 5:00 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He had a great run here and I'm grateful.

Mar 12, 2013, 5:07 PM

He was obviously a good coach and I hated to see him go. Apparently DePaul was a tougher job than he thought. Having said that, I think he had taken us as far as he could. Of course now, it sure would be nice to get back to that level, but no, I don't waste any time wishing we had him back. If I'm gonna wish for something, I'm wishing that Brownell would land a couple of stud recruits who can shoot and score.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

And he left us in awful shape

Mar 12, 2013, 5:08 PM

With recruiting

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Did OP not have anybody committed to Clemson before he

Mar 12, 2013, 5:29 PM

left? If not, then yeah he did leave us in awful shape with recruiting. If he had commitments who backed out after he left, I can't blame him for that. His last class with Jennings, Booker, and Johnson was a strong one (by all accounts at that time).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I want relevance and winning back

Mar 12, 2013, 5:12 PM

we've sunk really really far really really fast.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was Purnell's fifth season before going to the dance

Mar 12, 2013, 5:15 PM

and then we were out in the first round 3 years in a row. We need a couple of really good players and just a little bit of luck to go our way and we can win here.

he still made postseason play in his second year which

Mar 12, 2013, 5:16 PM

is the equivalent of making a bowl game in college football. This will be the first time since Larry Shyatt was here that we haven't played in post season basketball....unless we go on a great run...for 2 years in a row. Since 1992 the only coaches to possibly not take us to post season play 2 yrs in a row are...Larry Shyatt and Brad if we don't make a run.

At least we were going to the NIT the three years before

Mar 12, 2013, 5:46 PM [ in reply to It was Purnell's fifth season before going to the dance ]

and playing for something, made it to the championship one year and played in the ACC tournament finals one year as well. The teams were exciting to watch as well which is all I'm asking for.

Yes

Mar 12, 2013, 5:43 PM

I at least followed Clemson Basketball under Purnells exciting full court press teams. We also had a chance to win every game and always beat a handful of good teams. The more recent Clemson teams are to boring to watch and have zero chance at beating the Dukes and UNCs.

I believe the bridge was burned.*****

Mar 12, 2013, 6:24 PM

He's not welcome back.***

Mar 12, 2013, 6:27 PM

If he asked for the job back

Mar 12, 2013, 6:30 PM

I say give it to him. He may have taken us as far as he, but it is further than it seems Brownell will go. We haven't been ranked in the top 25 for the last 3 seasons, after being ranked at various times during each of his last 4 seasons.

A picture is worth a thousand words when it comes to OP.

Mar 12, 2013, 6:47 PM
Empty OP.jpg(23.6 K)

I would take Cliff Ellis before OP, knows how to recruit

Mar 12, 2013, 8:21 PM

for Clemson

give BB another year to fall on his face, maybe two, it's not going to get any better

then go after Bruce Pearl

he'll get recruits to Clemson

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic