Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A perfect moment in time
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

A perfect moment in time

Sep 2, 2013, 3:04 PM

Just a few minutes before kickoff on Saturday night, everything aligned in perfection for Clemson fans. Those of us in the stadium had no idea that the nation was being treated to an inside look into the tradition of the players getting on the buses to go around the stadium, touch the rock and come down the hill.

For Tiger fans watching on television, you couldn't experience the absolute electricity in the stadium as Coach Wilhelm and Coach Ford were inducted into the Ring of Honor.

Late Sat night - well actually about 3AM on Sunday morning - I saw the television coverage of the bus ride from the blimp view. Looking into the stadium rather than the buses, I saw the group of people involved in the ROH ceremony slowly walking from the sideline into position in front of the band.

After I finished watching the hill introduction video, it dawned on me exactly how special this moment in time was for people of my age. Last week, someone posted a youtube video of the First Friday parade in 1985 that had Brent Musburger in it. The video showed the band which followed the car with Musburger about 5 spots back in the parade. I was in the band that day. The next day back in 1985 was when Brent called our tradition "the most exciting 25 seconds of college football". Having him double down on that Saturday night, and then utter a perfectly timed phrase of "Even Georgia had to take a peek" when the Dogs tried to intrude was great. I read today where Chad Morris is saying recruits are calling and putting Clemson at the top of the list because of that introduction to the hill. That video is going to benefit Clemson for years to come.

Simultaneously with the nation seeing how special Clemson is through Brent's narration and historical perspective, those of us blessed to be in attendance were witnessing the long awaited entry of Coach Ford into the ROH. When he started to be introduced, I looked at my 16-yr old son who was sitting between me and my old college roommate and told him that Danny was being inducted. His incredulous reply was "He's not already in there." My roommate and I looked at each other and told my son that it was a long story and this was long overdue. Seeing Danny on that field again and hearing the stadium as loud as I have ever heard it was incredible. It was as if the entire Clemson community was being relieved of a straight-jacket and could freely show Danny how much we appreciated what he did for all of us who were fortunate enough to experience the 80's. I was so glad today to see the video of the ROH ceremony so that I could view it up close. The interaction with Mrs. Wilhelm was quintessential Danny - from him taking her hand to walk on the field to hugging her after Coach Wilhelm was honored. It was just, well, Danny.

In this perfect moment in time, all that we love about Clemson was on display for everyone to see, a longstanding wound was healed, and the bridge from our past to the present was completed.

Here is the link to the two videos. I can't watch either one without thinking of the other.

What a moment!
GoTigerz

Hill introduction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EbvtdXHXaLU

Ring of Honor ceremony
http://api.smugmug.com/services/#####/2736741838_9NczPMh?width=640&height=360&albumId=28312163&albumKey=CDfdMq

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A perfect moment in time

Sep 2, 2013, 3:11 PM

Heck of a post, Tigerz! tu

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A perfect moment in time

Sep 2, 2013, 3:16 AM

First time I'd seen the induction, wasn't able to make the game. Freaking AWESOME, just broke down in my office and yelled GO TIGERS!!! People are looking at me funny, but I don't care. Thanks for the link!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic