Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A new conference structure idea
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

A new conference structure idea

Aug 21, 2020, 10:54 PM

The winner of the American Athletic Conference East Division takes the place of the last place ACC Atlantic Division. The winner of the AAC West Division takes the place of the last place ACC Coastal.

This switch happens every year so that the worst teams in the ACC step "down" and compete with teams they are more competitive with.

And teams at the top of the AAC step "up" to prove they can hang with the big boys.

There would clearly be financial advantages to being in the ACC -- but teams would be able to prove they could do more with those finances than teams that have had traditional membership.

In the scenario above ...

Instead of NC State, Cincinnati would join the Atlantic.
Instead of Georgia Tech, Memphis would join the Coastal.

"Traditional" rivalries would have to go away. The schedule is freed now for more variety and (for the fans) interesting venues.

What do you think?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: A new conference structure idea

Aug 22, 2020, 12:38 AM

Zero chance you could rotate teams in and out between conferences like that however I do think Memphis and Cincy are the most logical expansion targets if ACC ever expanded. Expands ACC into either SEC or Big 10 states.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2020, 7:55 AM

Instead of Cincy, we could organize with Miami of Ohio. Much closer to Clemson's profile.

Huh?***

Aug 22, 2020, 6:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huh?***

Aug 22, 2020, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Re: A new conference structure idea ]

Huh?***

Huh?***

Aug 22, 2020, 6:18 AM

Re:A New conference structure idea:
Kick Notre Dame out,and find two suitable replacements,and then realign to a North and South division.

Aug 22, 2020, 9:10 AM

I like the idea. It might be hard to carry out at the college level, but it would be nice to keep things competitive.

I would love to see this at the professional level too. I live near Miami, and for too long the Marlins have gotten away with impersonating a major league baseball club.

The Marlins actually appear to be decent this year, but with many pro franchises the owners get fat on shared-revenue deals and lucrative stadium contracts without any incentive to really compete.

The threat of relegation could change that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take away the impossibilities of this due to conference

Aug 22, 2020, 9:45 AM

bylaws, and it would still be a logistical nightmare. Football schedules (until this dayumed pandemic) are filled out years in advance. Add to that, the Power Five programs are looking for cupcakes to play non-conference. Adding the best of the AAC would be a great deal for ACC prestige, but would certainly spell doom for the AAC. It would be a fascinating paper exercise, though.

Your scenario could HURT the ACC one way, though. Say that a UCF got put in the Coastal Division, and actually WON IT the next year. That obvious lack of strength of the ACC would be exposed, and could even cost Clemson a spot in the playoffs due to lack of SOS. Not something I would want to contemplate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Take away the impossibilities of this due to conference

Aug 22, 2020, 6:14 PM

I would say that the obvious lack of strength is alleviated by injecting the conference with more competitive teams. Do this for a couple years and the results would show.

True statement - I have no idea about the rules set up for the conference. Just thinking outside the box how we could expand ACC reach and keep it interesting.

By default, the AAC markets would care more about the ACC teams since they know that they could be competing there some day.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic