Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A new (Aug.1) and very interesting ACC Network article
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

A new (Aug.1) and very interesting ACC Network article

Aug 1, 2013, 11:06 AM

This is from the Virginia Pilot and covers all the bases. An interesting read. What are your thoughts about this network actually happening?

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/acc-weighs-pros-and-cons-starting-its-own-channel

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no reason our network couldn't be as good as the

Aug 1, 2013, 11:11 AM

Big 10's. I think their dividends speak for themselves. Radakovich is looking down the road at how big a success this could be for Clemson, and I think the steps he's taking right now are helping push us in the right direction. A 24/7 sports network can't just be football and basketball; you need other sports to keep it going, especially after March and before August. I'm all for this network if it makes Clemson money. That's really all it comes down to.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, the money is the big deal, but I also think the

Aug 1, 2013, 11:17 AM

exposure such a channel would give is something we can't afford to miss out on. Considering the BigTen and SEC will be on the air, seems we can't afford not to have one.

Let's sell the rights to Raycom and then they can extort us

Aug 1, 2013, 11:19 AM

on the 'buy back'. "Son, you can make us a lot of money." The Swoffie Switch.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's sell the rights to Raycom and then they can extort us

Aug 1, 2013, 11:57 AM

IMO get with Fox sports buy out ESPN and do our own thing with fox!

In 3 years having a TV network will be old school

Aug 1, 2013, 11:40 AM

As Swofford points out the time it takes to get through all the talk and planning isn't short. By the time the ACC could launch something (2015 at the very earliest??), the Internet will be the more powerful way to broadcast something so specific. Regular TV shows like sitcoms and reality shows will keep broadcast and cable alive for a long time. But it is getting more and more difficult to buy a cable/satellite slot when your programming is targeted to a very specific audience. And it isn't cheap at all.

Between Google, Netflix, Hulu, etc., and the competition that is sprouting up all the time, the ACC should be lookking hard at a lower cost Internet based platform to make entry easier and cheaper and therefore faster. It wouldn't have to be limited to Internet viewing, but the few ACC alums in LA won't be denied access either by being able to "tune in" online.

I understand all of that and think about those changes

Aug 1, 2013, 11:48 AM

often, but I was watching the business channel yesterday and he said that Television is still the way to reach the most people in the shortest span of time. He was not speaking about sports networks, but talking about advertising revenue and business in general. What is going to happen to tv?. He said it remains the quickest way to reach the most people in a short span of time so it is not going anywhere any time soon. For that reason, I think the exposure from television is something we have to keep up with.

I do agree with what you say about the evolving nature of the way people are going to be viewing things. And it is changing quickly.

It boils down to cost

Aug 1, 2013, 12:08 PM

I don't know what it costs to get local access, say on certain cable/satellite providers in VA/NC/SC/GA (and maybe FL), but I doubt the ad revenue in those cases is much. Going broader on distribution gets real expensive very fast. By the time the ACC could launch something I'd bet the Google's of the world will have disrupted the TV and entertainment world enough so that it can be profitable and easier to go with an alternative platform.

All you'll need is a digital TV set, a brand X device (Google/Apple/Roku/whatever) and an Internet connection and you will be able to "tune in" anywhere. The cable/satellite model has severe geographical limitations, unless you only want access to very specific local markets.

This is my thought as well. 3 years is Tech eternity***

Aug 1, 2013, 12:08 PM [ in reply to In 3 years having a TV network will be old school ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

100% chance Raycom will become the ACC network.

Aug 1, 2013, 12:00 PM

Sowffie Jr will run the show and most of the employees will be from Raycom Sports.

The rape of Clemson, FSU and VT football will continue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic