Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A lot of people give Tommy Bowden a ton of credit
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

A lot of people give Tommy Bowden a ton of credit

May 22, 2019, 9:27 PM

for the resurgence of this program, and it is fair to say Dabo continued and added to that vision. But if it were not for Kenny Hatfield, we never would have learned how quickly things could change for the worse, and that it is really dumb to fire a legendary coach. I think he deserves as much credit as anyone for fueling our current desire to win.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A lot of people give Tommy Bowden a ton of credit

May 22, 2019, 9:30 PM

Thank you Mr. Hatfield fir your contributions and glad you call yourself Tigerbalm.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2019, 9:32 PM

I think - Hatfield went way overboard on teaching us how quickly things can change for the worse !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

May 22, 2019, 9:40 PM

I give Tommy some credit for bringing some exposure to our program. However, he only added to our frustrations by losing to teams we should have never beaten us. Beat #10 Miami one week only to lose to Duke the next. I give him a ton of credit for giving us an underachieving reputation.

The single best thing Bowden did for our program was hire Dabo. In the future we could say it was the best hire of all time.

Thank you Tommy!!

Exposure szhmosher

May 23, 2019, 8:00 AM

Tommy is one who got the man to open up his wallet and upgrade facilities.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

May 23, 2019, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: A lot of people give Tommy Bowden a ton of credit ]

He also recommended Dabo for the head coaching role.

Does Tommy West get any credit too

May 22, 2019, 9:34 PM

or does he get lost between two influential coaches?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does Tommy West get any credit too

May 23, 2019, 6:43 AM

well they did name the endzone expansion after him. Right. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2019, 9:34 PM

Que?

I rest my case

May 22, 2019, 9:40 PM

Good lort...

May 22, 2019, 9:41 PM

I miss the 90’s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

are we talking about short shorts

May 22, 2019, 9:44 PM

or tripping acid at a Dinosaur Junior Concert?

I don't recommend either these days...:(

Unlike acid flashbacks...

May 22, 2019, 9:47 PM

flashbacks involving dudes in short shorts are always pleasant.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Well you wont catch me wearing them

May 22, 2019, 9:51 PM

I look much better in tights.

You look better only if

May 23, 2019, 12:58 PM

Acid is involved. Could be scary though.

I miss the 90s for less ghey reasons. Miss it so much***

May 23, 2019, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Unlike acid flashbacks... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: are we talking about short shorts

May 23, 2019, 6:50 AM [ in reply to are we talking about short shorts ]

T Rex?

Who?***

May 22, 2019, 9:38 PM

May 22, 2019, 10:02 PM

I find humor in most all your posts, thanks for that.?? However, this one lacks the “funny” big time, mainly because I lived and suffered through those years. Both deserve little to no credit for the where Clemson football is today.

May 23, 2019, 7:32 AM

We SUCKED when Bowden got here. What was it? 3-8? Bowden flipped the switch and made us relevant. Sure, we didn't get over the hump, but good lord, we were horrible and getting worse when he came. I think he did a lot for us. Sure, at the end of his tenure I was tired of "almost" and was ready for us to move on, but I do respect the progress we made under him.

May 23, 2019, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Re: A lot of people give Tommy Bowden a ton of credit ]

Bowden deserves some credit and some blame...but mostly credit. The 90s were a horrific trainwreck and bowden got us back on the tracks... just with a busted, limping motor. He had the right parts, just could not get them consistently in tune. It even took Dabo some time to do that.

Keep in mind that Dabo is a Bowden product. Really, Dabo has the one thing Bowden lacked but is very similar otherwise: the "keep the faith, keep the focus" leadership. He might be the single best coach on keeping the young men focused in college history. We know what a Bowden team looks like when it quits.

The unexplained losses are natural in CFB. How did we lose to Pitt and Cuse in 16 & 17? The difference was that in every single Bowden game, Bowden could not keep the players believing. Turn that around and see the 18 Cuse game, the 2016 Natty, 4th and 16... game and other Dabo rallies. I would even point to the 2008 Bama game and the 2015 CG 2017 semifinal as two/three good examples as well that we both lost. Still, give Tommy credit, he did a lot to get us out of the gutter.

?? ??***

May 23, 2019, 6:47 AM

He's certainly entitled to some but not a ton...

May 23, 2019, 7:17 AM

The WEZ was Bowden's vision and, of course, he hired Dabo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

May 23, 2019, 7:21 AM

I think we should run Hatfield's offense a few games this year to show our appreciation for all he did for us.

Like Hatfield use to say "sugar happens"***

May 23, 2019, 8:02 AM

May 23, 2019, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: A lot of people give Tommy Bowden a ton of credit ]

In 1989, I said "Nobody could run a more conservative offense than Danny Ford."

In 1990, KH proved me wrong.

In 1994, TW proved me wrong again (after promising to open things up).

I was grateful for TB's years, but he had to go. 10 years was enough. But he does deserve credit for setting a trajectory that Dabo exploded.

I can’t take a poast like this Sirius without discussing Tommy West and

May 23, 2019, 8:33 AM

his accomplishments and how ultimately Danny Ford set us back a decade and a have.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't be the only juan to give this tripe a TD.

May 23, 2019, 9:00 AM

Step it up fellow tnetters.

SMDH out loud

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

May 23, 2019, 9:07 AM

I'm not sure that I give him a ton of credit, but he does deserve some. He did leave the program in a better place than it was when he got here, and that's without even counting the fact that we owe him for bringing Dabo here in the first place. He didn't get us over the hump of course, and it was time for him to go when he was fired, but he did improve us.

What I don't get is all the hate that so many still have for him. You'd think that he took over a top 5 program, and ran it into the ground with the way people talk about him. I don't think people should go out of their way to praise him or anything, but I just don't get the amount of hate is all.

I always felt Hatfield rally showed us how little

May 23, 2019, 10:24 AM

you could accomplish with a completely stocked cupboard, not unlike Georgia every year

May 23, 2019, 11:05 AM

Coach KH gets a bad rap and is disliked by many fans. KH came to CU under very difficult circumstances. DF’s teams set a school record with 4 consecutive 10 win seasons, a 45-0 beat down of the coots, and a big win over West Virginia and QB Major Harris in the BG. DF’s 1990 team was stacked and was projected to contend for another possible NC.

1989 most fans were unaware of the power struggle going on between DF and CU’s administration. After the BG win during post game interviews JP’s ask one of the assistant coaches about rumors that the Tigers would have a new HC next season. JP’s question was ignored and the next news many fans heard was that DF had resigned or was fired and his replacement was going to be KH.

Coach H came to Clemson during the war between fans and the administration and the departure of Clemson’s most successful HC. KH was following the most popular HC in CU history at that time. KH had lost the battle before he ever stepped onto campus. I have heard from very reliable sources that some of the IPTAY members was involved in sabotaging KH’s recruiting efforts. During games someone hired a plane to flyover DV pulling a sign: Fire Hatfield! Come Home Danny. Hatfield was constantly booed at games and some fans would even yell obscenities at KH. And he was booed at most home games.

Following DF was a daunting task in itself, but then you add all of the other obstacles Coach Hatfield had to overcome and I think KH did a good job. KH had to overcome players who threatened to boycott the upcoming season. KH was able keep the team together and went on to win 10 games in 1990. The next season CU won 9 games , the ACC Title, and was undefeated in the ACC and closed out the season with a BG win. 92 was a bad season but then in 93 KH lead the Tigers to an 8-3 season. IMO not to bad based on all of the hurdles Hatfield had to deal with.

Prior to coming to Clemson KH had a pretty successful HC career. He also did a pretty good job a Rice after leaving Clemson. It was the 5 years under Tommy West when Clemson’s Football program really declined. Tommy West won 8 games in 95 his most successful season and had 2 losing seasons out of those 5 years. He won 7 games in his other 2 years at CU. After he was fired Tommy West admitted he was unprepared for the job at Clemson.

During those difficult years under KH and TW I believe fans have to accept some responsibility for the lack of success of the program. If KH had been given the support he deserved it’s possible he may have continued DF’s success. Based on all the circumstances surrounding the football program and another NCAA investigation hanging over Clemson for the 2nd time in 10 years. With all of the negatives surrounding the football program in 1989/1990 IMO, Hatfield was the best man for the job. KH’s problem was he was not DF. He had nothing to do with Ford’s departure but he paid a high price for coming to CU. I believe many Clemson fans and the administration owe Kenny Hatfield an apology for their treatment of him.

TB gave Clemson a solid foundation for a very special HC with imagination and vision to take the program to Elite status. And we all know who that is. But TB helped to right the ship. He made great hires in Brad Scott and Dabo.

I hope it is many many years before we have a new HC at Clemson because the coach that follows Dabo will have huge shoes to fill.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hatfield was a sacrificial lamb, nothing more or less. Admin

May 23, 2019, 11:22 AM

went looking for a coach who had the faith and demeanor to weather the coming crap storm of firing coach Ford. If he could win a few games, it would possibly create some salve for the wound. Ken Hatfield fit the bill. It was a no-win situation for anybody involved. All because Lennon and his high-brow wife didn't like coach Ford's country boy image. The NCAA 'investigation' in '89 was fabricated as a means to oust coach Ford. They had nothing, and they knew it. Coach Ford was the only person in the whole thing, besides Frank Howard, who operated with any class. He was paid $1 million to go away and stay quiet about it, and that's what he did. What did they want him to stay quiet about if he was so obviously in the wrong?

Hatfield was a nice man, but he was never the answer. He was just a stop gap measure for the ire over killing the program.

Re: Hatfield was a sacrificial lamb, nothing more or less. Admin

May 23, 2019, 12:40 PM

This^

wueagle loved your history lesson and breakdown

May 23, 2019, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: A lot of people give Tommy Bowden a ton of credit ]

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If only it it didn't contain 'facts' based in selective

May 23, 2019, 1:18 PM

memory in an attempt to shame the majority of Clemson fans at the time because they were hurt over the deliberate attempt to kill the program. Given the circumstances, there could've been no other outcome for any of it. Hatfield agreed to be the sacrificial lamb, and it killed his career. He won games with a team that was NC material and it quickly went down the drain from there. Max Lennon knew what was about to happen and he orchestrated a conscious decision to throw 2 head coaches and a very successful program under the bus.

And Hatfield did not unite that '90 team. After a tearful Vance Hammond got on TV and said 'We want him back, and we want him back NOW!' referring to coach Ford, the players were basically threatened with losing their scholarships. I could've coached that team to 10 wins, and I wouldn't have been the first Clemson coach in history to lose to UVA in the process.

Ken was the fuel that sparked the flame

May 23, 2019, 12:55 PM

of - we need to do a helluva lot better than this!

May 23, 2019, 1:59 PM

Hatfield SUXED

If Danny had been retained he probably would have won another NC - everything was in place and the ACC and the powers at Clemson screwed it all up

Tommy was a nice guy but he didn't get the job done. He did hire Dabo

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic