Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A little springtime debate! (maybe beating a dead horse)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,920

A little springtime debate! (maybe beating a dead horse)

Mar 14, 2018, 9:07 PM

The coaches have said in the past few weeks that they want to get back to the up tempo, fast play from years past. Obviously a huge part of moving faster is the screen game which in hand opens up the field for deep shots. These are the two parts that really stuck out to me as weaknesses with Kelly Bryant due to arm strength and accuracy.

Last year the screen plays were developing way too slow and along with Bryant seemingly lobbing the ball, the routes were almost jumped or blow up almost every time. How much do y'all think arm strength and accuracy will play into the decision at quarterback? Obviously there is a long way to go but it seems every quarterback is showing out in spring practice so far.

So for example say you have two things happen:
1. Lawrence, Johnson, or Brice outshine Bryant in arm talent and can run the offense efficiently and keep up with the tempo
2.Bryant understands the offense better (audibles, check downs, blitzes) but the offense slows down and we rely too much on the quarterback run

With Dabo and Co. saying the best QB will play, if something like the scenario above plays out I am interested to see what y'all think the decision would be?

(This is not a Kelly Bryant hate post, the man led us to an acc championship and the final four for goodness sakes)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A little springtime debate! (maybe beating a dead horse)

Mar 14, 2018, 9:16 PM

Your "two things" are contradictory. The ability to run with higher tempo requires a better understanding of the offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: A little springtime debate! (maybe beating a dead horse)

Mar 14, 2018, 9:23 PM

When i say efficiently, I mean that they can run it with fast paced tempo but may not be able to make all of the same reads a veteran can. I guess my hypothetical situation should be based on superior talent with decent football I.Q vs. decent talent with superior football I.Q.

All of those things will factor into it, but it won't be

Mar 14, 2018, 9:19 PM

as simple as one over the other. When it all shakes out, the player that coaches think has the combination of those things, whatever it may be, that gives us the best chance to win, will play.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Problem with the screen game last year

Mar 14, 2018, 10:22 PM

was our receivers couldn't block. Simple as that

KB is solid but my take is Dabo would start experienced KB

Mar 15, 2018, 12:02 AM

over a freshman Matthew Stafford and redshirt sophomore Matt Ryan. In fact, I believe that is exactly what is happening at present ... for better or worse it's Dabo's call.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its a fun discussion, and dead horses are what spring is for

Mar 15, 2018, 12:52 AM

I am not as convinced as some are that Dabo is stuck on playing the incumbent. We all wanted to see Hunter Johnson last year, with good reason, so some people concluded Swinney just wouldn't go there. I think we have since seen that as talented as Johnson is he wasn't experienced enough to be as effective as Bryant. Dabo wasn't playing the incumbent card; Bryant was better. That doesn't mean Dabo wont play it, only that we have no reason yet to think so.

The scenario you propose might play out. I agree with one poster that reading defenses and tempo go hand in hand, and that is very difficult for a freshman to do (Watson could do it). But I think that will play itself out over the fall, not the spring. I don't think TL needs to overcome an incumbant card; I think he just needs to show he can handle the team better. But if Dabo plugs all the pros and cons into whatever algorithm they use and comes up with a toss up, I think he has to play Bryant.

An interesting thought experiment: The NCAA says that effective immediately a team can have only 40 scholarship players, but that any school can field more than one team. So overnight every school has two teams rather than one. Can you imagine how good that would make Clemson? Forget that the entire D line came back, and the depth we have at RB, WR and O line; yes, that is great, but can you imagine one team with Bryand and TL, and the other with Johnson and Bryce? We would put two teams in the playoffs, no question. That doesn't mean we will win the playoff this year, or that we even get there, but we can field two better teams that anyone, imo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,920
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic