Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A little perspective.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,307

A little perspective.

Dec 11, 2016, 11:49 AM

I work in an ICU in South Sacramento, a pretty bad part of town. This morning on my 45min drive down from the Sierra Nevada foothills I listened to a little siriusxm, thought about the Heisman, sighed at my commute, and zoned out a little.

By 730am my time, I looked at a mother standing with her 16yo son, all of us next to a hospital bed that my 18yo patient laid in, and showed her a CT scan where a bullet was lodged; it had transected his spinal cord at T6 her son would never walk again. The 16yo son recanted the story of how people broke into the home and fired shots; how he called 911 and tried to stop the bleeding from his brother. He told me that it was just like 2 yrs ago when he watched his other brother choke to death on his own blood after the same thing happened.

He was stoic and eerily stunning. It was unfathomable to consider his thoughts as he wondered out loud, why won't these people leave us alone? My older brother "banged" but we don't. Its hard where we live, and we're trying to get out. He said this as his mother was quietly sobbing, his arm around her in attempt to comfort her.

This 16yo boy talked about returning to the home that has now been invaded twice, and he mentioned the homework that he needed to finish for his high school classes. I found myself uncharacteristically speechless.

I'm not sure the take away. I found myself feeling grateful for the "life lottery" that I won. Simply because I was born to better circumstances. I also found myself struck by this 16yo. He will go to school tomorrow, and people may not even know what he has going on.

Lastly, in terms of this board, it made me think of the way we cherish our Tiger athletes for the hardships they have overcome, but are quick to judge others for their presentation without any idea what they come from. I'm not trying to lecture or change anyone, but maybe give a thought of thanks for what you have, love unabashedly, and think before being so quick to judge another. Be well Tiger fans.

Message was edited by: soywaker®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: A little perspective.

Dec 11, 2016, 11:51 AM

Plus 1. a little brevity for the kids and coots of the tnets.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

wow. sad. be thankful.***

Dec 11, 2016, 2:05 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A little perspective.

Dec 11, 2016, 2:08 PM

And +1

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for sharing

Dec 11, 2016, 7:57 PM

Be thankful for what you (we) have!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A very humbling story. Prayers for that family.***

Dec 11, 2016, 8:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,307
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic