Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't post much on here like the old days but what
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 80
| visibility 1

I don't post much on here like the old days but what

Jun 30, 2016, 1:06 PM

happened to all the smart conservatives who used to post on here? I know camgee and flow are still here occasionally, but it seems all we have are riffraff flying around with tinfoil wings.

Where are the lumbees, JoeCobbs, and Tiger TCs who used to frequent this place?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger TC is busy with a hot tub***

Jun 30, 2016, 1:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

?***

Jun 30, 2016, 1:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A hot tub.

Jun 30, 2016, 1:22 PM

Tiger TC is busy with it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are smart people in the Jounge?***

Jun 30, 2016, 1:15 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seems to me that conservatives on a large scale

Jun 30, 2016, 1:19 PM

have given in to bitterness and have gone off the deep end. Many of them would probably deny it, but their words reflect a hatred of President Obama (and other liberals), and in that hatred, they have lost sight of the principles of conservatism. To me, those principles are traditional family values and fiscal responsibility.

I dunno, I guess I'm just in a down mood today about this stuff. But there are so many people I respect and love who are getting more and more vitriolic. And I don't like it at all. Speak firmly, but speak with grace, so that your words are edifying, not destructive.

But you think the liberals words against Bush

Jun 30, 2016, 1:23 PM

were different?

I honestly don't know what liberals are or were saying...

Jun 30, 2016, 1:26 PM

I don't really know any, personally.

I'm more concerned with the words and actions of those I care about, and those people, by and large, identify themselves as conservatives.

That's only related to those who are bitter...

Jun 30, 2016, 1:30 PM [ in reply to But you think the liberals words against Bush ]

and off the deep end. I went off the deep end and grieved for America. God revealed to me that America isn't my problem, my real problem was me going off the deep end over something so uncontrollable as America because of our politics.

I consider us the merchant in Bagdad and understand we have the appointment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes I want to yell out (over the internet, of course)

Jun 30, 2016, 1:36 PM

"GET OVER IT! AMERICA IS NOT COMING BACK!"

Maybe that's a bad attitude to have. But I've come to a point where I just need to worry about me and what I'm doing to be a positive influence. America is gonna do what America do. I can't worry about that anymore.

Well...

Jun 30, 2016, 1:44 PM

have you considered that you might feel that way because we've had a very socially liberal president for the last 8 years? Sometimes I think people mistake whatever's going on now for some kind of permanent, inevitable trend. I think they also underestimate how much influence elite opinion- including the presidency- has on the way people think about a lot of things.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe...I feel like it goes deeper than that, though.

Jun 30, 2016, 1:49 PM

I just see certain (what I would call) liberal ideas and philosophies that seem to be more and more consensus across America. It's more than just one person, or one administration.

I don't disagree

Jun 30, 2016, 2:08 PM

I just don't necessarily think things have to continue to trend the way they have been trending. It wasn't long ago that it looked possible to pass a federal marriage amendment. At the time I didn't think we needed one because I thought it was pretty obvious that the constitution didn't require gay marriage... Yeah, wrong about that. More people are against abortion on demand than ever. And there's a resurgent nationalism that speaks to at least a little dissatisfaction with universalistic liberal norms being used to beat down Christians. Obviously, it's disheartening that even religious freedom protections are so controversial now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some might consider...

Jun 30, 2016, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Maybe...I feel like it goes deeper than that, though. ]

That move towards progressiveness a good thing. Perhaps you just don't like it because of your political views. That doesn't mean America is lost.

Life is pretty good compared to past eras of our history. I don't think our politicians are any less terrible or corrupt. We just find out about it more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

"Life is pretty good..."

Jun 30, 2016, 5:30 PM

Yes, I would agree. I wonder if that's necessarily a good thing...we certainly are very contented.

What would you prefer?***

Jun 30, 2016, 5:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

In my life, I'd like to say I'd rather be

Jun 30, 2016, 6:12 PM

closer to God than contented. In practice, I...don't practice that much.

Ah, you seem to do all right.

Jun 30, 2016, 6:20 PM

If you got the God thing right, I'm sure he thinks you're doing fine. I'd drink a beer with ya.

Thanks...

Jun 30, 2016, 6:30 PM

I type on my laptop while my Ultra HDTV plays Sportscenter in the background, and my Bible sits on the shelf. Heh.

So that ypu don't throw your Bible at the TV when a

Aug 15, 2016, 9:16 PM

player drops an easy catch? ;)

America is not coming back?

Jun 30, 2016, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Sometimes I want to yell out (over the internet, of course) ]

Personally I don't see what sort of America we lost, or when we lost it.

The biggest change in the last 20 years that has concerned me is the increase in Executive power on issues like security and military engagement. But I don't think that America is gone and "not coming back" as a result.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess you'd feel that way if you worked in steel,

Jun 30, 2016, 2:48 PM

manufacturing, or textiles 30 years ago because we have lost certain industries but, overall, I think the future is bright. We have many industries poised for great futures.

Part of the problem with manufacturing,

Jun 30, 2016, 4:10 PM

in addition to businesses using factories overseas, is that progress in automation technology has made each worker much more productive. (Something I happened to learn today.)

So in a sense, the loss of jobs is, in part, a result of progress. But it has required many people to switch to service-based industries.

I agree that the future is bright.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are we supposed to go back to?

Jun 30, 2016, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Sometimes I want to yell out (over the internet, of course) ]

What era was exactly our golden age compared to now?

Generally, back to a more Christian people.

Jun 30, 2016, 5:28 PM

You would agree America is getting more secular, yes?

Theocracies generally turn out very poorly.

Jun 30, 2016, 5:42 PM

And those "more Christian" societies of America's past were very intolerant while using the Bible to justify that intolerance.

Today, I saw a Facebook thread where some Berkeley County folks were slamming and cursing their school board because they weren't going to open up school board meetings any more with the Lord's Prayer. One school board member tried to explain to them that they were simply following the law. The citizenry wasn't hearing it. They called them spineless and a disgrace.

Why do they need to open school board meetings with the Lord's prayer? Since when are America's public schools rooted in Christianity? These folks were a nice microcosm of why we don't need more religious influence in our government. It's majority mob rule.

Becuase that's what he's talking about...

Jun 30, 2016, 6:06 PM

Militant secularism hasn't worked out too well, either.

No. Neither is good.

Jun 30, 2016, 6:17 PM

Militant anything is bad. The freedom to practice your religion in your own arena and out in public should be preserved, and the freedom to be separated from religion in the public sector should also be preserved. That's the crux of the First Amendment.

The problem with what some folks call for is a further infusing of Christianity into government bodies, or a continuation of it from the past. People mistake the removal of Christianity from the public sector in areas it doesn't belong as an infringement on religious rights where in reality, that was a privilege in the past. People who have privilege always interpret it as a slight when the playing field is leveled with equality.

Simply put, there is no place for Christianity in our public governing bodies. We are not a Christian nation. If someone wants to read the Lord's prayer at a school board meeting, they need to cover all religions before proceeding with the meeting.

Yes, I know Prod wasn't talking about for extreme examples like this, but the false idea that we are a theocracy and a Christian nation has already lead to these examples. Imagine what it would create if it became law.

Interesting I typed "Christian people"

Jun 30, 2016, 6:11 PM [ in reply to Theocracies generally turn out very poorly. ]

And you seem to have read "Christian government".

Far, far more than we need "prayer in schools"...

Jun 30, 2016, 6:16 PM

We need prayer in homes, and in churches.

Prayer in schools in what form? Forced prayer?

Jun 30, 2016, 6:19 PM

School officials reciting prayers before school?

I think you read my post wrong again.

Jun 30, 2016, 6:21 PM

I have never and will never advocate for "prayer in schools".

You are correct. My apologies.

Jun 30, 2016, 6:23 PM

I read too fast and missed your point. I get what you're saying now.

No worries***

Jun 30, 2016, 6:24 PM

I don't want a godless heathen teaching my child to pray.

Aug 15, 2016, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Far, far more than we need "prayer in schools"... ]

I don't understand why other believers don't agree. It's as if they trust anyone and everyone with the spiritual handling of their children.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unfortunately, too many of those Christian people...

Jun 30, 2016, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Interesting I typed "Christian people" ]

Demand a Christian government.

Yes, we have fewer Christian people, statistically. But interestingly, as we've hashed out on this board in the past, life seems to be getting better. More tolerance. Less crime. More advancement.

I agree that too many Christians...

Jun 30, 2016, 6:25 PM

have too much focus on how "Christian" their government is.

Spiritual prosperity happens from the bottom up, not the top down.

After a few days of the hashing it out...

Aug 15, 2016, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Unfortunately, too many of those Christian people... ]

all the statistical bullchit about crime rates then and now I asked the members of this board to consider the tremendous increase of fatherless children and the number of single parent homes as a statistical category for comparison.

Nobody seemed interested in discussing the matter after that. If our fundamental understand of good vs bad doesn't consider the family unit then perhaps we are a better nation now than 50 years ago.

We are all to helll as a nation. It's just that we are desensitized to being all to helll.

I'm not much of a protester, if I have something ugly...

Aug 15, 2016, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Theocracies generally turn out very poorly. ]

to say about a school board or such I'll say it to myself.

That being said the Christian who feel it their civic duty to make sure others obey the 10 Commandments are delusional. No where in the scripture are we commissioned to make sure the government follows God's commandments. No where does the scripture give us the authority, responsibility or accountability to involve ourselves in civic activities. One can find himself fighting against the flesh in such actions and that is strictly eliminated as a battleground where we are to involve ourselves. I'm speaking for those who follow Jesus as Lord and Savior.

People spend so much energy 'doing good,' they ignore living right before God and allowing Him to finish His work in their hearts. To approach another and tell him that he is not doing right is a dangerous activity for us. It borders on usurping the Holy Spirit's work.

I've done it when I was directed but imo, I'd rather tell another about the Love of God than have to be responsible to God for how I handle those delicate conversations. I do not cherish those times.

I know this response is late.

Jul 3, 2016, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Sometimes I want to yell out (over the internet, of course) ]

During the last half of the century past some writers focused on the Book of Revelations. They presented some very fine fiction with consideration that the USA was referred to in the scripture by considering us as 'The Sons of Tarsus.'

It was common among them to exclude the USA from being on the same side with the Antichrist and False Prophet during the great tribulations. It made me feel all cozy and warm inside to believe that America was a Christian Nation. I had that delusion from birth. They also consistently presented the gospel so it probably had no ill effect.

Most Christians think America can make a comeback. That assumes that America ever was in a place before where we need to return. I no longer hold that supposition. While I believe we have the best form of government since David ruled Israel we have no moral position to which we may return.

Our perspective was wrong from the beginning. We did not come, as a nation, for freedom of religion. That was, as now, something which those who invested in this country and those who were our first leaders used, just as today, use to maintain political power and gain more wealth. Many Christians came for freedom of religion but they also came for prosperity.

Being The Son of Tarsus was unlikely then and near impossible now. It's become obvious to all but the spiritual adolescent that we are not making any sort of a comeback. We are not only in the wrong place and heading in the wrong direction as a nation, we are headed way to fast to stop or even slow down.

We are a great super power which uses economics to manage any part of the world we desire to control. If the Antichrist pops his head up anytime soon we will be involved in his power grab and on the wrong side of the struggle. We may become the very political power behind the Antichrist.

Seems like to me...

Jun 30, 2016, 1:27 PM [ in reply to It seems to me that conservatives on a large scale ]

that they hate other people who would be on their side, but who don't do everything they want, even more. But most of the people who pop up on my facebook feed are liberal, and I'm seeing a lot of friendly fire from the Bernie Sanders crowd, too. Other really smart liberals are constantly posting about how awful, stupid, hateful, etc. everybody they disagree with is.

Re: It seems to me that conservatives on a large scale

Jun 30, 2016, 1:59 PM [ in reply to It seems to me that conservatives on a large scale ]

It's the Internet....everybody has a voice now days and they can say whatever they want and not worry about whether or not it makes them look stupid.....I know I'm guilty of it.

You and CT88 seem to be the most level headed posters on here and I respect your opinion greatly and know I should adhere to your words even if you are a chicken fan....

Thank you, Jhop.

Jun 30, 2016, 2:07 PM

You are right, for sure. The internet is the most fecund of fields for vitriol. It's so easy to do.

IMO, this board...

Jun 30, 2016, 3:57 PM [ in reply to It seems to me that conservatives on a large scale ]

Is far less vitriolic than it was 11 or 12 years ago.

Haven't seen anyone here start to insinuate people who didn't support war efforts were traitors, and that #### got tossed around a lot back then. Seems folks mostly just rehash fossil record arguments here.

But there were 50 or so more consistent participants

Jun 30, 2016, 5:43 PM

so it was bound to get crazy at times.Look at all the crazy times: Bush/Gore election cliffhanger, 9/11, Afghanistan/Iraq wars, first muslim president...

We seemed to have so many more topics then.

I'll take this comedy any day. Albeit sometimes trite.***

Jun 30, 2016, 5:50 PM

You forgot mumbo

Feb 11, 2022, 10:53 PM

But I think most of those people were too reasonable to sit around here arguing about politics for years on end. You also have to consider that it's presidential campaign season, and that makes a lot of people who are normally reasonable turn into total shills for whatever candidate they like while anybody else running has to be the Worst Person Ever.

Haven't seen mumbo here or in jounge for a while.***

Jun 30, 2016, 1:35 PM

Except for this year.

Jun 30, 2016, 6:43 PM [ in reply to You forgot mumbo ]

When both major candidates running are tied for Worst Person Ever.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe the smart cons got tired of being called

Jun 30, 2016, 1:21 PM

Moron etc and realized what a liberal love fest the p&r has become....

Us dumbarse cons are too stubborn I guess...

??????

Will always be more conservatives on here. Conservative

Jun 30, 2016, 1:36 PM

ag/engr school.

Or perhaps it's because most Joungers come here to

Jun 30, 2016, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Maybe the smart cons got tired of being called ]

d1ck around and escape work and don't want to discuss politics since it already floods Facebook, Twitter, TV networks, etc?

well, joey, this came out today...

Jun 30, 2016, 1:22 PM

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2016/06/30/Obamacare-Insurers-Are-Looking-Taxpayer-Bailout

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

I'm a conservative, and I hope I'm smart.....

Jun 30, 2016, 1:46 PM

I just don't really give a shat enough about it anymore to make it part of my running commentary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do know a lot about cars.;)***

Jun 30, 2016, 2:05 PM

twue, twue. I think I did initially come into the lunge to

Jun 30, 2016, 2:17 PM

argue politics 15 years ago or so, and I probably got pretty fired up at times about it too.

That's a big difference though between 25 year old me and 41 year old me......I'm perfectly at peace with, he!!, I even embrace, a person's right to be completely and totally dead wrong in their thinking.

I'll even drink a beer with em nowadays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen to that.***

Jun 30, 2016, 2:15 PM [ in reply to I'm a conservative, and I hope I'm smart..... ]

Smart conservatives are the most hated group

Jun 30, 2016, 1:50 PM

in politics today. More than Donald Trump. They're hiding.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Smart conservatives have just given up

Jun 30, 2016, 1:52 PM

trying to argue with liberals who have inched so far to the left they are impossible to reason with.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Oh.. Also

Jun 30, 2016, 3:36 PM

They don't have anyone that they can vote for on a presidential level so what's the point. Just focus on trying to get the right people on a local level and hope whichever one of these ######## win the election don't drive the country to an unrecoverable level. Assuming we aren't already there.

GO TIGERS!!

I'm still open to Gary Johnson, even though

Jun 30, 2016, 6:01 PM

I don't think he's up for the job. He might be humble enough to realize it, which is a big win. His VP impresses me and I think the Liberterian Party realizes the ticket is upside down so they're positioning it as if the two are "running together".

But you're right that there is no candidate for Conservatives on the two major party tickets. Arrogant Incompetence vs Corrupt Cronyism. What a choice.

null

What if--

Jun 30, 2016, 6:22 PM

--And I say this as a Johnson voter who doesn't think he has a shot in hell--we get enough people to vote for him that it puts him and the LP enough on the national scene to make further waves in the future? I think Hillary still has this in the bag, but perhaps there's a more longterm goal here.

The problem from my perspective is that I generally

Jun 30, 2016, 8:53 PM

have liked the Republican candidate, warts and all. I liked Romney and McCain. I didn't love Bush but I probably would vote for him over Johnson every time.

So this is the year for the Libertarian Party to matter, when I find both candidates so repugnant.

null

This is definitely the LP's shot to start getting a voice.

Jul 1, 2016, 8:59 AM [ in reply to What if-- ]

That's always been the Libertarian problem. They want it all right away. You can't go from the HUGE overpowering federal government we currently have to "hey let's legalize EVERYTHING" small government in one election.

Hell it's taken the progressives over 60 years to get to the point where they're openly claiming to be socialists.

But this is their chance and I hope they take it. I really can't get behind Johnson's open border policy, but he seems to have some good ideas from the little I've actually heard from him. I really hope he finds a way into the debates at least.

GO TIGERS!!

Or argue with those in their party who have gone so batshit

Jun 30, 2016, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Smart conservatives have just given up ]

crazy that they are impossible to reason with.

It's the new "traitor" way, YOU'RE NOT CONSERVATIVE ENOUGH!!!

#### that noise.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're another smart one.***

Jun 30, 2016, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Smart conservatives are the most hated group ]

They must be hiding because I've never seen one.***

Jun 30, 2016, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Smart conservatives are the most hated group ]

Re: I don't post much on here like the old days but what

Jun 30, 2016, 5:45 PM

camggee is a #### fa$$ot so cares if he,she posts on here.he,She and robertn have
all day suckers to take care of.DAMN FA$$OTS.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See, JoeG?

Jun 30, 2016, 5:50 PM

You couldn't get this comedy back in the day.

Inspirational, really.***

Jun 30, 2016, 6:45 PM

Re: I don't post much on here like the old days but what

Jun 30, 2016, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't post much on here like the old days but what ]

I think I speak for everyone when I say, WTPh was that?

the handle is irmo's but it can't be him cause he quit tnet***

Jun 30, 2016, 9:58 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not sure which came first, but there also aren't too....

Jul 1, 2016, 9:31 AM

many liberals on here that you can have a reasonable discussion/debate with.

The incessant religious/evolution/pseudo-intellectual circle-jerk has gotten boring...at least to me.

We're making American great again

Aug 15, 2016, 12:50 PM

You know... working.

:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.cutigers.com/2009/football/virginia/slides/_KWB7614a.jpg

Well, I wouldn't go that far...

Aug 15, 2016, 1:05 PM

But that was a very nice thing they said about you boys.

And I see tiggity is still hanging in there with his smart, rational self.

Miss you also.***

Aug 15, 2016, 2:20 PM

That's so sweet***

Aug 15, 2016, 7:36 PM

Dang, thanks for the late reply. Did you enter your name

Aug 15, 2016, 2:19 PM [ in reply to We're making American great again ]

into that awesome Crump search engine?

I logged on

Aug 17, 2016, 11:40 AM

And had a T-Mail notification that soccerkrzy had tagged me in a post a few months ago.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.cutigers.com/2009/football/virginia/slides/_KWB7614a.jpg

Other than spooneye and Ford...

Aug 15, 2016, 1:59 PM

...there haven't been any progs who rise above the level of sheep, so there's that.

P.S. Anyone who votes for Clinton or Trump is an imbecile.

2024 student level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am not one of the smart conservatives from

Aug 15, 2016, 4:33 PM

days of yore. I am one of the stupid ones, though, and I do occasionally lurk in the Lunge. Just don't have time to post much.

I can't speak for the smart conservatives,

Good to see you are still around, josephg!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“I had learned not to care. I blew a few smoke rings, remembering those years. Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it. Not smack, though. …”

Replies: 80
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic