Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A good friend sent me this. I'd like to share...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

A good friend sent me this. I'd like to share...

Oct 20, 2018, 8:18 PM

Whoever said history was boring?

“They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot. Once a day it was taken and sold to the tannery. If you had to do this to survive, you were ‘p!$$ poor.’

Worse off were the really poor folks who couldn’t afford to buy a pot. They ‘didn’t have a pot to p1$$ in’ and were considered the lowest of the low.”

“Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and they still smelled pretty good by June. However, since they were starting to smell, brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.”

“Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women, and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it.

Hence the saying, ‘Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water!’”

“Houses had thatched roofs with thick straw-piled high and no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained, it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying, ‘It’s raining cats and dogs.’ There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That’s how canopy beds came into existence.”

“The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt.Hence the term, ‘dirt poor.’

The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on the floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entrance-way. Hence, ‘a threshold.’ ”

“In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day, they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme, ‘Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old.’

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could ‘bring home the bacon.’ They would cut off a little to share with guests, and would all sit around and ‘chew the fat.’ ”

“Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach into the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the ‘upper crust.’”

“Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of ‘ holding a ‘wake.’”

“In old, small villages, local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave.

When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside, and they realized they had been burying people alive. So, they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (‘the graveyard shift’) to listen for the bell. Thus, someone could be ‘saved by the bell,’ or was considered a ‘dead ringer.’

Now, whoever said history was boring?”

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holy cow, that's deep. I love history.

Oct 20, 2018, 8:23 PM

Thanks for sharing.

+1

It's pronounced "L Heff A" and it means "The Boss".

That still doesn't explain the term "screwed the pooch"***

Oct 20, 2018, 8:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That came about in Columbia, near Willy B stadium

Oct 20, 2018, 8:24 PM

I think

It's pronounced "L Heff A" and it means "The Boss".

Re: That still doesn't explain the term "screwed the pooch"***

Oct 20, 2018, 8:35 PM [ in reply to That still doesn't explain the term "screwed the pooch"*** ]

Did you not watch the game today??? I think that's what it means.

I'm reporting you to PETA and

Oct 21, 2018, 6:16 PM [ in reply to That still doesn't explain the term "screwed the pooch"*** ]

Pamela Anderson, OK?????

Re: A good friend sent me this. I'd like to share...

Oct 20, 2018, 8:33 PM

Most of these are total BS. The term Wake came from the late night prayer vigils that were held.

Oct 20, 2018, 8:36 PM

I thought the Pewter Tomatoes thing was interesting and Smithsonian confirmed.

Oct 20, 2018, 8:39 PM

That friggin awesome +1

Oct 20, 2018, 8:54 PM

Being a history major I thoroughly enjoyed this, thanks for sharing. I’m in the flooring business and most of the yankee tile contractors I deal with refer to thresholds as “saddles”, wonder where that originated?

Excellent stuff***

Oct 21, 2018, 7:00 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 7:18 PM

In early England -------

Young boys were used to tend the fires and remove the ashes from those huge fireplaces. Smoke from the fires covered their faces and clothing. The boys were always called Jack and because of their being black were known as "Black Jack".

Dining tables were rough on one side and planed on the other. The family used the rough side but when the family had guests for a meal, they ate on the planed side. Hence the phrase, "turning the tables".

(I heard these stories many years ago when visiting in England the ancestral home of George Washington)

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic