Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A few questions for those who want to fire Brownell.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

A few questions for those who want to fire Brownell.

Jan 24, 2019, 10:25 PM

1. Which coaches do you want to see Clemson go after?
2. What do you want to pay our new coach (annual salary)?
3. What are your expectations for him in terms of wins and NCAA Tournament appearances?
4. What program enhancements do you think he needs to be successful at Clemson (more support staff, higher budget for assistants, facility improvements, etc.)?

Because Clemson basketball doesn’t have a very good track record of hiring and retaining coaches, please share your constructive solutions for improving things this time around. I’m not interested in opinions from people who are resigned to mediocrity in basketball or people who don’t care enough to support the program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Re: A few questions for those who want to fire Brownell.

Jan 24, 2019, 11:23 PM

With the contract that Brownell has there is not going to be anyone firing him anytime soon. Just get used to a middle to lower tier ACC finish for the next few years. Another year or two of the level of basketball we're seeing currently seeing (with a veteran team!) and LJ will be a ghost town.

Brad seems like a good guy but as someone who develops players I'm just not seeing it. I wish I was wrong but I don't think I am. I've got no problem being a stepping stone for coaches climbing the ladder. Ain't no one trying to come after Brownell should tell you something.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not suggesting that he will be fired anytime soon.

Jan 24, 2019, 11:30 PM

But for the sake of discussion, it is worth hearing who Brownell's detractors would like to see replace him.

If you want to deal in what's realistic here and now, please take up your cause with the dozens of posters here lately who can't seem to stop complaining about Brownell and calling for his dismissal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not suggesting that he will be fired anytime soon.

Jan 25, 2019, 7:45 AM

I don't have a name I want BUT I did not have a name I wanted when we had Tommy Bowden either. I just knew Tommy was not right for us. I don't think Brad is right for us either. I think Brad will do better in lower level conference.

Some of the things we do drive me crazy and scream poorly coached team are:.

1. On man offense when we screen away from the ball we screen an "area" and NOT the person guarding our teammate AND that person we are screening for does not know how to use the screen being set up for him.

2. We do not block out on a level that is satisfactory for high school.

3. Elijah Thomas consistently gets called for a "moving screen". This is coachable!

4. We play too much one on one offense in critical phases of games. Even Brad said something about it. Why can't he stop it? You think Dabo would put up with that ####?

5. Brad cannot recruit or does not recruit players that can put us on the next level. We don't seem to have a very high Basketball IQ (that goes for Brad too). Some will say we don't recruit well because we aren't serious about basketball. I do not buy that. Little john is in the upper half of quality basketball arenas in the ACC. But our play is not in the upper half. Barnes recruited on a fairly high level and he was able to coach them up. Like Barnes or not he was the best b-ball coach we have had. Why he left is up for debate.

6. Have you ever seen Brad chew out a player? I have not. Have you seen Dabo do it? Yes. How about Roy Williams? Yes. How about Bill Self? Yes. Coach K? Yes. Brad? No.

I could go on and on but I have to go to work. I played under a coach who eventually coached at Clemson and is now the most winningest high school basketball coach in the state of North Carolina. While I am no expert on coaching, I know great coaching when I see it. I don't see it in Brad.

I hear what you are saying.

Jan 25, 2019, 10:22 AM

However, if you look back at many of Brad's teams here, especially seasons 2-6, we were at a significant talent disadvantage most nights, yet we found a way to be competitive regardless of who we played. That, to me, is the mark of a good coach. Even last year, having one of our more talented Clemson teams, we were not nearly as talented as Duke, UNC, etc. Yet we were very competitive against such teams.

It's easy to pick out a few instances where players don't block out well, or set screens well, or make the right pass. If you start watching other teams as critically as you watch Clemson, you'll see them making the same errors at times. I don't think it is realistic to expect us to never make some of the mistakes you mentioned.

Yes, I have seen Brad chew out players. Sit behind our bench sometime and you'll see that he is very animated, always coaching and correcting.

Holding up Dabo as the gold standard for all coaches to follow is understandable, but let's not act like Dabo would be getting perfect play out of his players if he didn't get to work with all world talent. Remember Dabo's first few years? We had some games with extremely undisciplined play and really stupid errors. I believe that was less about Dabo not coaching well, and more about having players who simply weren't top shelf in terms of talent. It's amazing how great talent makes coaches look better.

I agree about Rick Barnes. He's a fantastic coach, and it's too bad we couldn't keep him, for whatever reason.

Jan 24, 2019, 11:32 PM

We should have used the money we spent on Littlejohn and hired Calipari or someone along those lines. The wins would come, the tournament appearances would come, the crowds would come. Then the money comes to make the improvements on facilities. Kids would play in Fike for a big named , proven winner.

Calipari makes around $8 million per year at Kentucky.

Jan 24, 2019, 11:37 PM

Which is considered by many to be the top job in college basketball. Why would he come to Clemson?

To get him to even consider Clemson, I'm guessing we would have to pay him at least $12 million per year. Even then, I'm not sure he would consider it.

Along those lines, what if Kentucky wanted to hire Dabo to be their football coach? What do you think they would have to pay him to get him? Do you think they could get him for any price? Sounds pretty ludicrous, doesn't it?

Re: Calipari makes around $8 million per year at Kentucky.

Jan 24, 2019, 11:49 PM

Yes it sounds ludicrous!! But we have to do something along those lines to change the culture of Clemson BB.

Jan 25, 2019, 3:33 AM

No you don't. We didn't do it when we went for Dabo. Every good and great coach started somewhere.

Jan 24, 2019, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Calipari makes around $8 million per year at Kentucky. ]

Btw. Calipari has only been at Kentucky about as long as CBB has been at Clemson. It wouldn’t have taken 8million plus back then.

Ben Howland

Jan 25, 2019, 12:04 AM

He's making less than Brownell now at a much lesser program and has them playing pretty good after only three years on the job.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, he is an excellent coach

Jan 25, 2019, 10:25 AM

who has been successful at Pitt, UCLA, and now Mississippi State. Definitely someone we should talk to when we have a vacancy.

LOL who gave me a thumbs down for this?!?

Jan 25, 2019, 7:49 PM

Not a fan of Ben Howland, I guess? Ha ha

Jan 25, 2019, 12:25 AM

1) An unproven young coach who cares about building a consistent program. I’d want someone with a high octane offense that shoots 3s, is super aggressive and looks to dunk. Think early rick Barnes meshed with Dunk City FGCU.
2) Competitive in the market on the base with high incentives
3) There are 15 ACC teams. Expectations are that Clemson can consistently rank between 6-10 within the conference after his 3rd year.
4) Whatever it takes to recruit. Mostly players want a place to which they can grow, win, have fun and ideally get to the NBA.

The key is recruiting. Get a relatable coach who cares about his players. Mix in a sprint style aggressive offense. Facilities are great but attendance is paltry. A fast paced high flying offense won’t win right away, but the climb will be fun. As we win, keep providing what the coach is asking for. Enjoy the ride.

Unproven young coach is a bad idea in the ACC

Jan 25, 2019, 12:32 AM

Even a hire from a good mid-major is risky, just look at Georgia Tech and Wake Forest. You should go the Virginia Tech way, hire an experienced coach who knows how to run a major program. If you hire another mid-major coach you'll be stuck with a mid-major program.

Re: Unproven young coach is a bad idea in the ACC

Jan 25, 2019, 1:02 AM

Signed Dabo

Of course it’s risky, but good talent can be found. Character matters. Energy matters. We need a relatable coach who can bring some excitement.

It’s easier to bring in experience if you are willing to pay. I’d take any legendary coach, but to me that’s not realistic. I’m saying a younger coach from a cost benefit perspective that can allow both to grow together.

Excellent post, I agree with most everything you said.

Jan 25, 2019, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: A few questions for those who want to fire Brownell. ]

I do feel strongly that we need to hire someone who has success on the major college basketball level though. Otherwise, we are taking the same route we've pretty much always taken, getting a guy who has been successful on the mid-major level and hoping he can translate that to the ACC.

Honestly, Will Wade would potentially be a great fit based on your criteria. He's young, is a great recruiter, knows how to win, and is a Clemson alum.

Re: Excellent post, I agree with most everything you said.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:33 AM

And he's a bonafide cheater who has consistently bashed his experience at Clemson on the recruiting trail. No way he comes to Clemson, and no way I would want him.

I wasn’t aware that he has ever been accused of wrongdoing.

Jan 25, 2019, 7:47 PM

Much less convicted of any.

I’ve also never heard about him bashing Clemson in any way. Do you have a link?

I'll say this: I don't know the answers......

Jan 25, 2019, 1:09 AM

If I knew the answers some one would be paying me lots of money to fix it. As it is some body pays me to build stuff. I have all the answers for that. And if I don't those that pay me find some one else that does.

There are people paid a lot of money at Clemson University Athletic Dept. to answer these questions. When the product does not live up to expectations they must do what it is they get paid to do, just like every one else.

But, the people in charge may be getting exactly what they want.........

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great point. It would be interesting to know what the AD

Jan 25, 2019, 10:27 AM

expects from Clemson basketball. I wonder how that aligns with what alums and fans want? Hopefully, everyone wants better for Clemson basketball.

No answers - just questions - wishes

Jan 25, 2019, 6:58 AM

Simply - what we are currently doing - is not working.

What makes us think it will change?
Are we fun to watch?
Do the players look like they are having fun?
Do we seem to be getting better - more competitive?
Are we recruiting better?
Why must we depend on grad transfers who wash out at other schools?
Why can we not guard 3 pt shooters?
What is our identity on offense?
Who will score next year? Inside or out?

I don’t want to fire - but I do know the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over - and expect a different result.

What do I want out of our program?
Fun to watch, players smiling, and competitiveness.

That’s all.

I don’t care who leads us - but there has to be someone out there - young, aggressive, fun, interesting, ready to build a program. Low to middle expectations.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, it isn't working this year.

Jan 25, 2019, 10:31 AM

It worked great last year. How this year ends will be very telling, and will signal whether last year was an anomaly where the stars happened to align, or if it was the start of consistent success.

I am very surprised that things haven't gone better this year. I don't think it's fair to throw in the towel yet. We have admittedly had a really brutal start to our conference schedule, so I will be interested to see how our team responds moving forward. They supposedly have a good attitude still, and aren't discouraged, so that is good.

Whoever our next coach is, I think it is vital to make it clear to him that we expect a high level of success. It makes no sense to hire someone and say, "Yeah, we're a football school, so just win when you can, as long as you graduate your players and avoid off-the-court issues, we're happy." I don't know what Clemson tells potential basketball coaches, but I hope it includes a real effort to refute the perception that we only care about football.

Re: I agree, it isn't working this year.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:24 PM

Judge,
What you just wrote was what DRad indicated about CBB at Prowl & Growl last Spring! Win when you can, raise money for LJC, graduate players and keep them out of trouble! Brownell is a fine person, a decent coach, but not a consistent winner! Tiger fans make it clear they care for basketball only when we win and seem to engage students and graduates. Despite his best efforts Brownell has not effectively recruited even after LJC was upgraded and unless the staff and team show greater promise than expected I believe Brownell should be asked to seek another job, but reassigned or simply resign.

DRad may think all is well, but after a decade of inconsistency I am among those reaching the conclusion we need a leadership change. Go after someone with knowledge of ACC basketball and who will challenge the administration to fund the program to a new level. A mid-major coach could work in the right situation, but I have no names at this point.

and are we showing improvement on any of these issues?

Jan 25, 2019, 10:58 AM [ in reply to No answers - just questions - wishes ]

I'm not seeing it.. it's getting frustrating to watch.

Jan 25, 2019, 7:04 AM

I posted this on another thread where you asked a similar question. I still kind of applies, although doesn't answer all of that.

Posted: Jan 25, 2019 3:57 AM

Who cares? We don't even know who is available. There are 100's of options that would jump at the job if we are also accounting for assistants that would like an opportunity. Your questions are odd in a way. You don't think our AD needs to be the one to figure that out? You don't think he knows how to make that search and find the available candidates to interview? The fans on this site wouldn't have recommended Dabo when our AD chose him. You could have asked the same meaningless questions back then as well. What we knew back then was that we wanted Bowden gone. We knew we wanted West gone before him. We knew we wanted Shyatt gone. When something isn't working well you try new things. No, nobody knows exactly who the next coach should be, nor what his contract details need to be or what the school is willing to pay. That's where the AD comes in and gets a pool of candidates and figures it out. After we know who is interviewing, return and ask which one we hope we land. The AD is the one that is hired for the solutions and not the fans. That why they have these things called "General Managers" in MLB. It's not up to the fans to come up with exact solutions. The fans solution should be to trust our AD to figure it out.

Simply saying "who cares?" doesn't accompish anything.

Jan 25, 2019, 10:34 AM

Since you seem content to let the AD handle it, and thus see no point in us discussing it, then why do we have a message board to begin with? Why voice concern over the basketball program since we can't fix it? Why comment on games if we can't do anything about them?

I'm sorry you find my questions to be weird. I think they are very appropriate at this point, in the midst of a disappointing season thus far, with multiple posts daily complaining about Brownell and our basketball program.

If we aren't going to talk about solutions, then please, let's stop with the pointless complaining.

Re: Simply saying "who cares?" doesn't accompish anything.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:00 AM

People can discuss it without asking or answering the stupid question you ask. We can discuss why we aren't satisfied and why we think we may or may not need a new coach. We can leave the solutions to the AD. You seem easily confused. By the way, I don't think it is time to can CBB. I think we should see how does through the next season. Let's see how we do.

What's your problem?

Jan 25, 2019, 11:05 AM

No need to call my questions stupid, or say that I'm confused or clueless, simply because you disagree.

You must've missed the day in school where respect for others was taught.

Just need to hire an ace recruiter as HC

Jan 25, 2019, 7:43 AM

Get some actual talent in here and just let them go play ball. This brand of basketball we play now is ineffective in this league and miserable to watch.

LOL, if it were only that easy!

Jan 25, 2019, 10:36 AM

"Just get some talent in here" isn't as simple as waving a magic wand and doing it.

No matter how talented our team is, they still need coaching and direction. You can't just let them freestyle it as if they are on the playgrounds.

Jan 25, 2019, 7:45 AM

First of all, I think Brownell is a good coach. I am kinda shocked to see him stick with us after last year... a better program would have taken him. This team is flawed, but that does not mean that the coach is "bad" or should be fired. Coach K has had .500 ACC seasons within the last decade... his bottom is a a "good season" for us. Still, unless this team quits on Brownell, I am fine with him as the coach.

If we were going to act now, we would need to sign Nate Oats (Buffalo). Sign him to a slightly average base contract (say $800,000) but really load it up on incentives. Seriously, $1 mil to win in Chapel Hill, and then bonuses for wins in the ACC and NCAA tourneyment. Bonuses for 15 wins over P5 teams, per season. For any coach looking to come to clemson, it will always need to be a high-risk, high-reward position.

My expectations for Clemson basketball: don't embarrass ourselves. Brownell keeping us mid-tier in the ACC is about were we should expect to be unless we find "the coach". I would consider Dook, UNCheat, Cuse, UL, and NC State programs that would consider "being less than Clemson" unacceptable. You could also toss ND, Pitt, GT, Wake, UVA as programs that generally care more about BBall than Clemson.

Finally, I want Clemson basketball to win and that cost money. I see how folks don't show up to Clemson basketball games and then the performance -return on investment- makes sense. Shoot, I say that attending a game at Georgetown (OP as DePaul play the Hoyas with me in Orange) was the oh, yeah folks do show up when you are playing a garbage team event.

But dang, winning is tough, winning basketball at Clemson is tougher. The only thing tougher is wining the war on illiteracy in cootlumbia.

Jan 25, 2019, 7:48 AM

"First of all, I think Brownell is a good coach. I am kinda shocked to see him stick with us after last year... a better program would have taken him."

Really? He may be a decent coach, but I am not surprised he stayed. I doubt he had better offers.

Jan 25, 2019, 8:02 AM

Yeah. I honestly am kinda shocked as even with his success and how the idjuts were going before the season, I was kinda expecting him to say ANYONE was "better" than us. Shrug, now I guess he can do that and take more money.

I think he could move to a non-football school program with a decent facility in an easier to recruit area with ease. Actually, if a B10 program opened up, I was fairly sure he would leave. If Xavier wasn't an internal promotion... he would not have been a bad fit. That, and I would consider a lot of A10, BE, and "mid-major' programs "better" than us. At least those schools care (Former Mason employee).

I don't think you realize how well respected Brad is

Jan 25, 2019, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Re: A few questions for those who want to fire Brownell. ]

among coaches. He could easily get another good basketball job if he weren't our coach.

Re: I don't think you realize how well respected Brad is

Jan 25, 2019, 10:49 AM

I don't think you realize I know he could get another job. My point is that they aren't banging down his door to give him a better job. You're clueless.

How do you know what jobs Brad has been offered?

Jan 25, 2019, 10:54 AM

Unless you are Brad, his wife, or his agent, you are clueless as to the job offers he has had.

Re: How do you know what jobs Brad has been offered?

Jan 25, 2019, 11:03 AM

You live in an alternative universe from reality. We will see how accurate you are when he goes. We will see how big the upgrade is. You will look pretty clueless I guarantee. It won't be a big upgrade from what he has now.

You are the one who seems confused by reality.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:12 AM

The truth of the matter is:

1. Our basketball tradition stinks.
2. Our administrative support for basketball mostly stinks.
3. Our fan support for basketball mostly stinks.
4. People have no problem complaining about basketball, but rarely have constructive suggestions or solutions to address those problems, and are ultimately unwilling for Clemson to make basketball more of a priority.
5. Brad is a well-respected coach who has done well at multiple schools. I don't have any way of knowing what kind of job he would have next. That would largely depend on how the rest of his tenure at Clemson goes, and what type of job he is looking for.

I don't think Brad will be fired anytime soon. The earliest I think he would be fired is the end of the 2019-2020 season, and that would only be if we fail to make the NCAA Tournament both this season and next.

With that said, it isn't unreasonable to ask what people expect at this point, and who they would like to see us get as our next coach, when I read multiple posts here daily bashing Brad and our basketball program. If people are going to take the time to whine and criticize, then the least they can do is offer solutions.

Re: You are the one who seems confused by reality.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:19 AM

There is truth to some of what you said. That said, the right coach will be able to build the excitement and the program to an extent. You believe it can't be done and we are as maxed out. Some of us disagree.

I absolutely believe it CAN be done.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:33 AM

But it's going to take more than just getting another coach. I believe that the excitement and success most of us want will require more administrative support in terms of basketball budget for support staff, as well as continued facility improvements, as well as more consistent fan support.

I believe Brad could be the coach to do it, but I am prepared that he might not be. This year and next will tell us a lot, both in terms of our success on the court as well as our recruiting.

Re: I absolutely believe it CAN be done.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:54 AM

I don't believe Brad is the coach to get that done, but I do believe he is the right coach for now and the right coach when we hired him. It's just like how Bowden was the right coach to bridge the gap from Tommy West to Dabo. I agree though that the university would have to make a commitment once we got the right coach, whenever that happens. It's not all on the coach. By the way, I like Brad and think he should have through next season. At that stage though if we don't go to the tournament this year or next, there is no reason not to make a move. That will be something like 1 tournament in Brad's last 11 years if we miss out this year and next. Why keep him? There would be no reason not to make a move. We would have nothing to lose.

Agreed.***

Jan 25, 2019, 1:33 PM

Jan 25, 2019, 8:02 AM

1. We need a coach who can recruit. I’m not saying get the Zion Williamson’s of the world (even though we should’ve had him), but don’t let the Trey McGowens slip away to Pittsburgh. Brownell is not a good recruiter, and if it weren’t for transfers (Mitchell, Reed, Thomas), the team would be terrible. We also need a coach who makes the team play with grit. An Amanda Butler-Esque hire would be perfect, but I’m not sure if any names in the MCBB world that we could get.

2. If we’re serious about b-ball, pay a coach $3.5-4 million and give them support to rebuild the program. It took Dabo time, but also resources from the athletic department. Basketball should receive at least some of the same treatment, considering how important basketball is in the ACC. The upgrade to Littlejohn was a nice start

3. Of course I don’t expect a Final Four run right away, maybe ever, but we should make the tournament every year, no excuses. Win 11-12 ACC games a year, be competitive in the ACC Tourney, and don’t get blown out by better competition, at least battle, like the women did at NC State last night.

4. I think an elite support staff is key in any sport. Dabo is great, but without Venables, these last few years don’t happen in football. Jeff Capel at Duke. He was Coach K’s right hand man, and the lead recruiter on a lot of guys. He will do great at Pitt. Up the pay for elite-level assistants. That would be a solid foundation. Improving crowd support would be nice, too. I don’t know how you would do this other than the team just being better, but I fondly recall back in 2008-09 how insane the atmosphere would be in LJ. When Duke or UNC came to town, it was incredible. Now, they can’t even sell it out for big games, half the arena is visiting fans. That can’t happen. Crowd support early in the year would help the team, and also help recruiting.

Jan 25, 2019, 8:11 AM

I agree... but here is the issue with the "second tier" "maybe a chance at the NBA-level recruiting....

Clemson or VCU?

Go to Clemson and be .500 and maybe .666 at best and not get trophies due to the carolina mafia. Sure the stands will fill up when the mafia comes to town but don't expect anyone for any other game. Risk being left out of the NCAA when you win 20 games. Oh, and when the "crowd goes wild" it is because the football team got an ovation during halftime.

Or go to VCU. Chance at winning the conference trophy, win 20 games every season. Likely NCAA nod for a average season. Oh yeah, it is a smaller area but they sell it out every night.

I was there in 2008/2009... they had the same problems for the non-UNC/Duke games. Folks would not turn out for the GT or VT or non-ACC games. Worse, folks turned on OP for not winning in the Tourney. Sure, it wasn't as bad as Herb at NC State... but it was not good for the program.

Also, if he has any fuel in his tank, Herb Sendek would not be a bad choice.

Thanks for your detailed responses.

Jan 25, 2019, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: A few questions for those who want to fire Brownell. ]

1. I agree about recruiting needing to be a priority. It's tough in today's world of under-the-table money and one-and-dones. I applaud Brad for doing things the right way. I'm not suggesting that all of the top recruiters are doing shady and illegal things, but I do have concerns that there are many top recruiters who are on the up-and-up. I disagree that we should've had Zion though.

2. I agree about the salary range you mentioned, as well as a commitment to consistently updating facilities. We can't continue to take the same cheap approach to basketball and expect different results.

3. Agreed.

4. Great point about support staff. What would happen if we not only pay our head basketball coach a great salary, but also give him a great budget for assistant coaches and support staff? I bet we would see excellent results. As you stated, the nice budget for assistants and support staff for football, coupled with a commitment to facility enhancements and upgrades, is a significant reason why Dabo is such a good recruiter and coach.

Who cares? It doesn't matter who we keep, hire or fire

Jan 25, 2019, 8:20 AM

Clemson basketball will never be great. Unfortunately, the sweet 16 run last year was an outlier. Might as well keep Brad and have somewhat decent seasons that are only mildly disappointing with a fun outlier season mixed in every 5-10 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I care. Plenty of other people do too.

Jan 25, 2019, 10:55 AM

If you don't, then you should probably stick to the football board.

Re: I care. Plenty of other people do too.

Jan 25, 2019, 8:27 PM

I know I care. It is heartbreaking any time we lose. It is a great feeling anytime we win. Right there with football and baseball.

Jan 25, 2019, 8:45 AM

South Dakota State's head coach. They shot the 3 great and are top 100 in defending it. Ofcourse some of that has to do with the competition I know. I'm not saying I want BB gone tho but if so. I still believe in this team. Bilas has us as his 43rd best team so some think we belong still. Let's see how our boys do when we are not playing all upper half ACC teams on the road. We have to have better play from Mitchell and get the ball in more to Thomas but I believe we will improve.

Me too. We aren't nearly as bad this year as some people

Jan 25, 2019, 10:55 AM

here suggest.

Re: Me too. We aren't nearly as bad this year as some people

Jan 25, 2019, 11:12 AM

That is true. That's why that FSU game was so important. We will probably end up somewhat of a bubble team.

FSU game was a huge missed opportunity.***

Jan 25, 2019, 1:30 PM

Is this guy still around

Jan 25, 2019, 8:50 AM

https://goo.gl/images/wKesxK

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Maybe, for the right price.***

Jan 25, 2019, 10:56 AM

yes

Jan 25, 2019, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Is this guy still around ]
CC.jpg(77.0 K)

I don't want to fire Brownell. He's a good guy.

Jan 25, 2019, 8:47 PM

I just want him to leave.

"who we would like to see replace"

Jan 25, 2019, 10:26 PM

is immaterial to the fact he is a mediocre recruiter at best (at least by ACC standards). Remember a guy named Dabo the real estate salesman receivers coach who was never a head coach before? Wasn't on much anyone's so-called "wish list". There are a number of factors such as experience but also "feel" and circumstances, which cannot be quantified in the manner you specify. By just this one standard alone, you would've never hired Dabo. And neither would any of the rest of us.

You've been quite the apologist for Brownell in the past, as many were for Bowden. But everyone can see pretty easily this 6 year extension was a mistake. Can you?

Just wondering.

It's amazing how you are already throwing in the towel.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:18 PM

We still have a lot of games left this season. I will reserve judgment until the season is over. I will consider it a disappointing season if we don't make the NCAA Tournament (assuming that we don't have anymore significant injuries to key players).

If we don't make the NCAAs this year or next, then it will definitely be time to find another coach.

I don't think it was unreasonable to give Brownell the new contract after last year's historic season though, especially with the new facilities recently completed and some recruiting momentum. Clemson structured it so that the buyout is actually less than it was before, so if we need to buy him out it won't be an issue.

Is Zion still a lock for Clemson? Asking for a friend...***

Jan 25, 2019, 10:41 PM

You're probably not aware that Zion was coming to Clemson

Jan 25, 2019, 11:21 PM

as recently as the day of his announcement. Our staff was stunned when he chose Duke. I don't know the circumstances which led to his change of heart, but those close to him felt confident that he was going to sign with Clemson. That's why I posted what I did here. I obviously won't do that ever again, even when my knowledge is based on much more than what crystal balls on 247 predict.

Jan 25, 2019, 10:44 PM

At this point, we could go hire a high school coach and do just as well as we are doing now.

Jan 25, 2019, 11:02 PM

How about LaVar Ball? He seems to know ALOT about basketball...

and everything else too!!

Just kidding, I don't think he'd fit the Clemson atmosphere>

ST

Thanks for letting everyone know how little you know

Jan 25, 2019, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Re: A few questions for those who want to fire Brownell. ]

about being the head coach of a major college basketball program.

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic