Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A few nice thoughts appreciated ...
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1
   | View Original Thread |

A few nice thoughts appreciated ...

Mar 8, 2016, 10:20 AM

... for an amazing lady who's heading home.

My mother-in-law (insert requisite m-i-l joke here) is coming home from the hospital for the last time today. Well, her body will be. She checked out a while back. The doctors have decided, and we've concurred, that nothing can be achieved by extending what has been an amazing life.

A few weeks shy of her 97th birthday, Daphine was born the day the Spanish Flu outbreak led the NHL to cancel the 1919 Stanley Cup Series. A child of the Depression, she wore potato sack dresses, worked in the tobacco fields and held down two jobs to graduate from Buies Creek Academy, now Campbell University. She chatted with Franklin Roosevelt and several senators, cussed out the Klan when they tried to disrupt an integration meeting, hit a trifecta in her only trip to a horse track ... oh, and did I mention she blew up a 12-seater outhouse at Fort Bragg during World War II? The MPs were looking for Nazi sabateurs for a month after that, never suspecting one of the secretaries tossed a cigarette down the hold and set off some methane.

She loved NASCAR, Wake Forest basketball (them Baptists got to stick together), but I managed to sway her to Clemson football and baseball. She was partial to "that good-looking Johnny Weaver" and thought Ric Flair was a blowhard.

When she first fell ill, doctors said she had maybe a few months. If we were lucky, they said, Daphine would see our daughter graduate eighth grade.

She saw her granddaughter graduate from college. That's how tough she was.

It's been a heck of a run for a heck of a lady. Just praying that her home stretch is quiet.

Thanks.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 1
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic