Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A question for the it's not a good year unless we beat the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

A question for the it's not a good year unless we beat the

Dec 23, 2013, 7:19 PM

coots crowd? Don't get me wrong I can't stand the coots, never have never will............... Just an example when my son was in middle school he had a friend who was a gamecock fan and every time he came over wearing his gamecock hat I made him leave it in the garage.........

My question would you be happy with Coach Swinney if we went back the the type seasons we had under Coach Bowden? Clemson winning 8-9 games and beating a 7-8 win South Carolina?

I for one prefer the 10-2 ACC Champs, 11-2 with a bowl win over LSU, and another 11-2 season with a win over Ohio State than the Bowden era............. Don't I want to beat the coots............ Yes I do............ I feel the wins will be coming soon start next year I think Clemson now has the better overall talent..... I don't think that was the case during the first four losses, this year we did and just gave it away..........

I also don't by into they're in our heads BS or the Ole' Ball drunk is in Coach Swinney's head.......... No more than Bowden was in the Ball Drunks head he had better talent......... Most years the better talent wins....

I really do believe South Carolina had better talent the first four years of the streak and I think the NFL draft is proof.......... I think Clemson has built a deeper more talented team and the results will start showing next year and for several years to come.......... Then the Ole' Ball Drunk will fax in his resignation and the gap will grow wider..............

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Tiger Fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2o14 the beginning of the next 5 year win streak for the Tigers..................

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A question for the it's not a good year unless we beat the

Dec 23, 2013, 7:58 PM

Bowdens record at Clemson.

Clemson Tigers (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1999–2008)
1999 Clemson 6–6 5–3 2nd L Peach
2000 Clemson 9–3 6–2 2nd L Gator 14 16
2001 Clemson 7–5 4–4 T–4th W Humanitarian
2002 Clemson 7–6 4–4 T–5th L Tangerine
2003 Clemson 9–4 5–3 3rd W Peach 22 22
2004 Clemson 6–5 4–4 T–6th Declined*
2005 Clemson 8–4 4–4 3rd (Atlantic) W Champs Sports 21 21
2006 Clemson 8–5 5–3 T–2nd (Atlantic) L Music City
2007 Clemson 9–4 5–3 2nd (Atlantic) L Chick-fil-A 22 21
2008 Clemson 3–3‡ 1–2 T–2nd (Atlantic)
Clemson: 72–45 43–32

I would personally hate to see our Clemson back to that!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like your optimism for future:

Dec 23, 2013, 8:00 PM

I really do believe South Carolina had better talent the first four years of the streak and I think the NFL draft is proof.......... I think Clemson has built a deeper more talented team and the results will start showing next year and for several years to come.......... Then the Ole' Ball Drunk will fax in his resignation and the gap will grow wider..............

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok. Going to get land blasted on this one, but here goes.

Dec 23, 2013, 8:06 PM

Why can't we do both? I'm not saying we should beat them every year, but why not every year or two? 5 years in a row is where I start getting concerned.

No

Dec 23, 2013, 8:10 PM

I will take 7-8 wins and beat the Coots every time!

Her is another way to ask that question..

Dec 23, 2013, 8:31 PM

There is no reason to not have both so the premise of the argument is stupid...how about this ...would you rather be 10-2 and lose to the Coots every year from now on or had you rather find a coach like Danny Ford and beat the Coots almost all the time...have great teams every year ...always play hard ...never get totally embarrassed on national TV... and win a National Championship ...let's see how this little pole question works out..

I guess this would be for the......

Dec 23, 2013, 8:34 PM

I'm in love with Dabo ...and I can't seem to control myself.. It's a Bro-mance

Re: I guess this would be for the......

Dec 23, 2013, 8:38 PM

Well you're a coot so nobody gives a #### !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Her is another way to ask that question..

Dec 23, 2013, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Her is another way to ask that question.. ]

Since we are going to discus flawed premises, if we went 10-2 this year and beat the coots, who would the other loss come too? Would it have been acceptable to lose to WF, Maryland, NC state,......
Lets take the school names off the jersey's and let me offer you 10-2 with losses coming to the #1 and #10 team in the country or 10-2 with losses coming to #1 and unranked.
Since everyone loses to #1 that's why they are #1 then your true value is how bad your other loss looks.
While I don't like losing at all, its gonna happen, year in and year out only 1-2 teams goes undefeated. The odds are against us.
The fact of the matter is, a perfect season for anyone is an anomaly, not the rule, so to say you can beat the teams you are supposed to and upset a couple every year is a flawed premise.
The reason Bowden could beat the coots is simply because they sucked then, now they are a formidable opponent and we will need to get better to beat them.

Say what???

Dec 24, 2013, 12:09 AM [ in reply to No ]

So, you're satisfied with losses to Wake, Maryland, FSU, and NC State as long as we have the 1 win over SC? No way!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No

Dec 24, 2013, 7:22 AM [ in reply to No ]

> I will take 7-8 wins and beat the Coots every time!

Wow!
There's a whole world out there beyond the state of SC. The only way anyone else in the nation makes note of a 7 win Clemson would be if SCAR continued to be a 10 win team but got upset by a bad Clemson team on a regular basis.

So if you follow through on this line of thought, it means that SCAR being a 10-2 team would have 1 loss to Clemson and only 1 loss in conference, which essentially means SCAR would be in the SECCG. SCAR fans would probably take this option as well....somehow I think there fans have moved to a larger world/conference view than simply beating Clemson.

On the other hand, maybe you don't care about ever having the rest of the country take note of Clemson. In that case, SCAR can just be a bad team and Clemson can just beat bad SCAR teams and no one else in the country would GAS about Clemson, including 5* recruits.

Re: Ok. Going to get land blasted on this one, but here goes.

Dec 23, 2013, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Ok. Going to get land blasted on this one, but here goes. ]

Like the OP said.....better talent. It's about to change. I truly believe that. :)

They weren't better than us in 2009...

Dec 23, 2013, 8:36 PM

2010-2012, definitely. Not in 2009, though. They just decided to beat our @ss that year.

I'm not necessarily convinced they were better in 2012

Dec 24, 2013, 12:09 AM

They just were that night

Dec 23, 2013, 8:47 PM

You're so right! Spurrier is not in Dabo's head......he infuriates the Tiger faithful so much that they're in Dabo and the team's head! The Clemson fans put so much pressure on Dabo and the team to not just beat them, but to stomp and humiliate them, that there is no room for error on the field. Guess what? Any team plays tight under that pressure.

I think Clemson means more to me that the W-L column

Dec 23, 2013, 8:47 PM

We have a coach I can respect even if he is a little over zealous at times. Kids that I love to watch play football. I love this team regardless of the W/L. Tell you what you dumpers can go foward in time and pick out the seasons we beat the coots or win the Natty and only follow the Tigers then. I for one can't wait to watch the boys do it all over again next fall 0-12 or 12-0. Go Tigers! Crack the Nuts!

Well said my friend!

Dec 24, 2013, 12:10 AM

Point

Brian is right...

Dec 23, 2013, 9:17 PM

Well, mostly. It's about beating the lesser competition and competing with the better competition. This season we did the former, but were 1-2 in feh latter with a bad loss at home. Yes, FSU is #1 now, but when they humiliated us in our home stadium we were top 5. That loss turned us into instant frauds, and we didn't get any redemption against a good but beatable coot team.

The measure of a team and a program is your success against quality competition and the consistency of your level of play. That said, 5 in a row is bad for recruiting and it's embarrassing for us fans. It also shows that the coot program is ahead of us right now. The ACC is also terrible right now. We have plenty of room for improvement. Dabo and staff have plenty of room for improvement. It's hard to believe the ACC will be this awful forever.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few more stats of interest....

Dec 23, 2013, 9:27 PM

During Danny's time here he only one 10 or more games 4 times, in almost 20 years.
He was also 9-6-1 vs coots, while that is a winning record, those coot teams were a combined 76-58-4 overall, about a 60% winning percentage. The current coot team is 48-17 over the last five years a 75% winning percentage.
On the flip side, Danny played 2 SEC teams that had around a 75% WP during his time. They were LSU and Tennessee, and he went 1-3 and 0-5 against those two respectively.
Not to downplay what Coach Ford did for this University, but when it comes to the past we all seem to have selective memory about how "great" things were.

Are you just making up stats about Danny?

Dec 23, 2013, 9:48 PM

Danny was HC for 11 seasons.
Not sure where you got the record vs SC...

He did say "we all have selective memory"

Dec 23, 2013, 9:56 PM

He knows from experience.

Sorry, the place I was getting the stats from.....

Dec 23, 2013, 9:57 PM [ in reply to Are you just making up stats about Danny? ]

is set up weird, it included the records while he was at Arkansas. I didn't realize that, until just now.

A friend said it pretty well today: Having a great season

Dec 23, 2013, 9:27 PM

but losing to the coots is like having the Barefoot Contessa (I thought Paula Deen) bake you a great cake but leaving off the icing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dec 23, 2013, 9:33 PM

I agree with the responses that it doesn't need to be an either or thing. However, if that was the only choice I would take the Bowden records and beat SC. I absolutely believe that Spurrier is in Dabo's head. His first comment this year after beating us for the 5th straight time was "for some reason they don't play well against us". That was said for Dabo and our teams benefit to again plant the seed that we will not play well.

Yep, playing so hard - too uptight = make errors!***

Dec 23, 2013, 9:38 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never want to go back to losing to the WF, Md, NCS on

Dec 23, 2013, 10:43 PM [ in reply to Re: A question for the it's not a good year unless we beat the ]

a yearly basis and never winning the ACC or going to a BCS bowl. Spurrier is in a lot of Tiger fan's heads, thats for sure.

Dec 23, 2013, 9:39 PM

Here is your answer from "The Legend" Frank Howard; someone you may be familiar with. Here is an ESPN piece from the 1989 BBQ (45-0).

You get your answer in the first 30 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeLp2raWqyc

You think the Dabo haters are Bowden lovers?

Dec 23, 2013, 9:47 PM

That's cute.

Never want to go back to the years that have the wide

Dec 23, 2013, 10:37 PM

swings. Much better now.

Dec 23, 2013, 11:24 PM

First off,our only ACC Championship under Dabo resulted in an embarrassing 70-33 loss to West Virginia in the
2012 Orange Bowl.
This year we had two embarrassing losses to national ranked teams( FSU/USC).
Last year we did not have a win over a national ranked opponent,again losing to FSU/USC.
Say what you want about Bowden,but he did not have to face Spurrier.
Still, there is no excuse for five straight double digit losses to the coots.
And that is the problem with Dabo.Lately,he can't seem to win the big games.And please don't tell me LSU was a big win.It was a bowl game that some could argue that Les Miles lost more than Dabo won. And Georgia proved nothing either as they showed exactly how thin they were across the board as the injuries mounted and the losses followed.Need proof.We beat them by 3 at our place while they doubled the coots at their place while we fell to the coots on the road by double digits.
And you think the NFL draft is proof that the coots have had better talent.
Tell that to Nuke Hopkins or Andre Ellington.
And do you honestly think Spurrier is going to fax in his resignation because you think we have built a deeper more talented team.Talent is one thing,but until Clemson can get a more imposing dominating line( on both sides)the coots will continue to have their way.
Final thought:
Don't bet the farm on that five year streak in 2014,and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I'd rather be 10-2 with a loss to them

Dec 24, 2013, 12:03 AM

Than barely going to a bowl and having beaten them.

This a reprint of an old post?

Dec 24, 2013, 7:31 AM

or are you just brand new here?

Dec 24, 2013, 7:41 AM

My question is why don't the ones who say they would be happy with any result as long as we beat the coots aren't filling the boards with elated posts about our basketball team. Flood the place sh*t talking coot basketball rather than trying to tear a BCS bound 10 win football team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic