Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A dream come true
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 3,813

A dream come true

Dec 16, 2014, 8:29 PM

I was and still am the only one of my family to go to college. I come from a family of tradesman and construction business owners. I was moved from catholic school to catholic school. In my final H.S. years I went to New York State Military Academy (NYMA). We were a middle class family, at an early age I was taught to only count on myself. I was told to never ask for anything I couldn't work for myself. When I turned 20 I decided to move to South Carolina and share an apartment with my best friend in Greenville.
I got a job at Circuit City. I never thought of going to college until I moved to SC. A light was illuminated inside me when I saw how big the world was, it was full of opportunities. When I realized I could do anything I put my mind too. Moving to Greenville with $800 and no vehicle. I was in charge of how my life would turn out, it was my choice how far I could succeed in life. I worked fulltime and started at Greenville Tech fulltime. That was tough. I transferred to Clemson in the fall of '98 with honors. Moving to South Carolina was that singular moment in my life. Going to Clemson was the most intelligent decision I ever made. Graduating with a degree was the proudest moment in my parents life they told me. Being part of the Clemson family is the greatest bonus. I worked fulltime while I went to Clemson also. All I wanted my whole time there was to be accepted, but I was called Yankee this and Yankee that. Belittled and stereotyped all along the way. But I realized Clemson was bigger than a few idiots trying bring to bring me down.
I still don't have many friends there, I was 23 when I started there. I have comeback every year in the fall to support the football team for a game or two. Being so far away back in N.Y. doesn't make it easy to see every game in person obviously. But every game I get on T.v. Iam fully invested in. I am the biggest fan , you all have no idea how big unless you were to meet me in person. Read my other board topic from today. I also worked parttime as a CAT bus driver while there at Clemson. I now have 2 little boys who all they talk about is going to Clemson like daddy and Clemson football. It is my dream that they will keep that fire inside them for Clemson, but my Duty to give them every chance to make they're dream come true. I am truly blessed to have went there. I represent Clemson to the best of my abilities whenever I go to an opposing teams campus i.e. Chestnut hill, Syracuse, Pitt etc. I bleed orange and expect nothing in return. That is why the term Clemsoning more than pisses me off, forgive my words lord but that really hurts me deeply. I want nothing more than to build a network of Clemson friends so I can truly realize my dream of feeling like I belong in the Clemson family. Can anyone help. Please don't call me Yankee any more, it was said to me in the harshest of tones. I bleed orange.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A dream come true

Dec 16, 2014, 8:35 PM

You've got a lot of good stories. Stick around for a while.

TU and welcome! With your handle, you may still be

Dec 16, 2014, 8:42 PM

called a Yankee. With your background and hard earned story, i would encourage you to accept where you come from but know that a Clemson man is always welcome on this board and on campus, regardless of place of birth.
Glad you joined us..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

You're a Dayem Yankee, but I say that

Dec 16, 2014, 8:43 PM

in fondest terms....we love you, man!

One of my best friends at Clemson in the 60's was a

Dec 16, 2014, 8:43 PM

fellow from Rochester, NY, and we joked constantly about heritage and accents.

Most of the folks I knew had great friends from all parts of the country, so all the Yankee/Southern Redneck barbs were meant in good fun.

That the Civil War had been over for more than 100 years probably had something to do with it in addition to the fact that many of our northern friends chose to remain in the south after graduation.

Fact is there are probably quite a number of TigerNet members with close friends and family from the south and north, so I don't pay much attention to the barbs on the site. Heck, my two oldest grandkids were born in Pittsburgh, the other two in Columbus, Ohio. I call them my "Yankee" grands; they call me "Southern Paw-Paw!" We have great fun with it....lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry you were belittled for being a "yankee"

Dec 16, 2014, 8:45 PM

I attended Clemson over 40 years ago, and had northern friends we southerners may have occasionally called "yank", but it was in a good natured, joking way. I hope they didn't feel we were belittling them. They were some of my best friends...one year my intramural basketball team was about 50-50 southerners and northerners. It is disappointing that 30 years later, this habit must have gotten worse, instead of better.

I am glad to hear that, in spite of this negative experience, you remain loyal to Clemson and are a big supporter. I hope you do feel a part of the Clemson "family".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bueno! Good Story! We all travel different paths to

Dec 16, 2014, 8:48 PM

get to the same destination. The last few years I was in Clemson, I commuted from Greenville every day (and didn't miss a single day for 5 full semesters and 6 summer school sessions all consecutively) frequently working at two of three part-time jobs I maintained in Greenville when I returned home....Didn't miss a single home basketball game in those last three years though that often involved driving back to Clemson for the game....but, my student indebtedness was less than $800 bucks when I was ultimately graduated. At the urging of my then significant other, I didn't go to grad school immediately, a mistake I wish I hadn't made....waited nearly 10 years (amidst a recession) to do that

I laughed at your previous post as well. Wish I'd seen that little incident--but I was at that game.

Ya done good!! Keep it up--sounds like you got two good'uns of your own coming along!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bueno! Good Story! We all travel different paths to

Dec 16, 2014, 9:16 PM

Ty so much! I just wanted to share. I couldn't fit half of all the stuff I wanted to share. My Clemson/ joining the Navy after 9/11 and graduation story will be up tomorrow.

Dec 16, 2014, 8:50 PM

Being from NY myself, my southern friends and I always rib each other over our backgrounds. It's all in good fun though and I love it down in Clemson. It's like a second home to me and I intend to stay in the South after graduation.

Dec 16, 2014, 9:00 PM

I absolutely love Clemson. I live and die with the team. I plan on moving back to Greenville very soon. I won't let the few bad apples keep me from feeling the love. I truly feel pulled to Clemson and South Carolina as a whole. I can't think of a better place to raise my family. God bless you all.

Dec 16, 2014, 8:55 PM

Welcome brother! You must have just happened upon a bad bunch...in my time at Clemson I had Southern friends and Northern friends and we all kidded each other about where we were from, but in the end we were all Tigers and have been since we graduated. I'm sorry about your bad experience, but let it be known those kind of arses are the minority!!!!

Dec 16, 2014, 8:58 PM

Your post was an inspiration to me. God bless you, and I'm delighted to know
that we have people you as part of the Clemson family.

Dec 16, 2014, 9:02 PM

May I assume you are back in New York?

Contact the Alumni Association on campus. Find the closest alumni association club and get involved. I imagine they will have similar likes and dislikes, but love Clemson as you do.

My son roomed with a great kid from a wonderful family on Long Island. He's moved back, but I guarantee he bleeds orange. He's a 2013 grad, but you may have lots in common.

My freshman roommate was from seven miles away from my son's roommate. I was a country hick and probably not the most understanding of differences many years ago. I had not traveled too far from SC. I now realize one should seek to respect differences in cultures. To a great extent I can thank Clemson for changing me to be more tolerant and accepting of differences while realizing Clemson Tigers come in all shapes, sizes, colors, religions and likes and dislikes.

Good Luck!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 16, 2014, 9:04 PM

Dang- I cant tell you how awesome your post is...Wish I was rich- I would fly up and pick you and your kids up for a game or two. I hope you can find your way back as often as possible. Let us on the board know if you are coming and we will make sure you find plenty of Southern hospitality!

Dec 16, 2014, 9:23 PM

What a great story!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should return to Greenville....

Dec 16, 2014, 9:36 PM

with young boys...there's yanks and many others from all parts of US moving and living here now.
It is a prosperous area and many enimities to enjoy. Remember...Thomas Green Clemson was a yank and native of Philadelphia. Clemson U. would not exist today if he had not moved south. Stay positive and good luck to you...GOOOO Tigers!

Dec 17, 2014, 5:35 AM

I'd be proud to be a member of you network of Clemson friends! The love you have for Clemson "bleeds" through in this post so, you don't ever need to feel like you don't belong, you do! Your path to Clemson is a prod one and don't ever let anyone make you feel anything different! Thanks for reaching out and sharing your story, you sound like an awesome Clemson Man! Go Tigers!

Loved your story of being self-reliant...and as far as being

Dec 17, 2014, 6:13 AM

a "yankee", I learned a long time ago to judge a person by who he is, and not where he came from.
Thanks for posting.

so you were called a Yankee cause you a Yankee

Dec 17, 2014, 7:34 AM

Big deal. There are wOrse things to be caLled, like Canadian or even worse gameCok alumnus. . Thems fight'n wOrds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 17, 2014, 7:42 AM

Hey man, I like you fee as if going to Clemson was one of the best things to happen to me. Besides being saved by the Lord and marrying my wife, I can't hardly thank of anything better. Sorry for any of the serious slander towards you and hope that some of it was in jest. However, I had a buddy who went to Clemson from New Jersey and was the "jersey shore type" (I not everyone from Jersey is like that) and we ragged him all the time but he ragged us too. He was proud to be from Jersey and we were proud to be from the South. However, we met in the middle at a place called Clemson. Your story is great and I hope that you feel welcome. If your blood runneth orange then you are no YANK and we aren't NECKS. We are Clemson men and Clemson men need no introduction.

Being I'm a Southerner I can certainly understand why...

Dec 17, 2014, 7:47 AM

anyone would be offended by being called a yankee.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2014, 9:15 AM

The world is flat. Its 2014 with technology & communication changing life at the speed of light. With Russia, ISIS and all the other problems in the world, I did not even realize North|South was still a consideration for some. As other posts suggest, Clemson is global student base. Keep your strong spirit for the Clemson Tigers.

Hey YANK..meaning American & any Clemson Man is All-AMERICAN

Dec 17, 2014, 9:31 AM

in my Orange book...And, glad you represent Tigers everywhere...from NY! Also, hope your sons will be able to visit Tigertown, rub Howard's Rock and go down the HILL...and after a win go onto the field & step on the PAW!

Congrats, proud for you...and thanks for being a Yankee TiGER! GoTiGERs..boom the Sooners!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"there's something in those hills!"***

Dec 17, 2014, 9:38 AM

Dec 17, 2014, 9:40 AM

Don't sweat the "Yankee" think, my friend. Thomas Green Clemson was born in Philly and educated in Northfield, Vermont and Paris, France. I would have called him a Yankee if I didn't know any better. :)

That's "determined spirit" right there!!***

Dec 17, 2014, 9:55 AM

A true Clemson man!***

Dec 17, 2014, 10:38 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 3,813
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic