Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Dabo quote I've been thinking on. Another run?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 3,057

A Dabo quote I've been thinking on. Another run?

May 27, 2017, 2:39 AM

Following the big win over GA ranked #5 in 2013 Swinney said " It's only unthinkable if you don't think it" in response to the win. Swinney has aimed high since he put on that jacket. To me, he is with the best in the nation, now the best in the nation. With that being the prelude to what I am about to write, it will be fitting to hear some encouraging words that I happen to catch n the radio the other day.

A caller on Roy and Ben's show called in the other day, and talked about how he and coach Swinney both coach in the little league/JV baseball league. The caller talked about how Swinney was very approachable, as that talked Clemson football and other related matters. The caller asked Swinney what he thought about the National championship and all. Swinney's reply was classic " yea, we're going to do it again ". As the caller stated that on air I just thought to myself " how many more times and when ?" It's not for me to know, but to just trust the main man in charge. Some would go into right there and interject QB play. Honestly, with this Defense, RB core, WR talent and 4 good arms on the team somebody is going to get the nod from Swinney to play at QB and it's going to be a prolific offense in one way or another.

It would be great to make another CFP run, without getting into positional battles, etc. Honestly, there is enough 5 star, elite talent on this team to do it again. With Fall practice and early games giving all new starters some playing time, things will work themselves out. Do we make anther run? Based on talent and experience at some key positions, it can be done. Again, maybe I'm just an optimist, or maybe just someone who sees it like Swinney sees it " yea, we're gonna do it again".

Good days ahead for the Clemson Football program, counting down the days.

ATech

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you go back to the day he was hired, there weren't 5% of

May 27, 2017, 7:19 AM

us on here that had faith in him. The ones that did probably were in school when Danny got the nod and just had a feeling. I'll tell you when I really had the feeling he was the guy, was when, 15 minutes after he got the job, he walked down the hall and FIRED Spence. Then, a few more things I learned that weren't everyday knowledge just sealed the deal. I hope he never leaves Clemson for a couple of reasons. One, he is going to continue to have us at the top. Two, he is producing some great men I think who may affect the future of this country. That may sound silly, but I really believe that.

Re: If you go back to the day he was hired, there weren't 5% of

May 27, 2017, 7:52 AM

You are so spot on. I was one of the 5% that felt in my bones Dabo was the one when they made him interim coach to finish out the season. And yes, I was at Clemson in the Danny years (82-86). ??

He reaffirmed my gut feel by the way he took charge, told it like it was and remained positive but determined. And he showed no fear and no second guessing. He epitomizes what I have always told people who constantly over analyze things in order to make a perfect decision: THERE IS NO PERFECT DECISION! Make the best decision at the time and work like hell to make it a GOOD decision.

And early on, he showed he had the courage make tough decisions and to change course when necessary. He was not going to wallow in mediocrity out of fear of hurting some egos. He isn't mean, he just cares. Sometimes that comes off as if he is a hard ###, but everyone who knows him knows that is not true. He has heart bigger than almost any of us.

The combo of positive passion, willingness to make tough decisions, and truly caring about his effort, his team and his people is a tough one to beat.

Danny had many of these traits too, but only exhibited them mostly to his team. Danny was always downplaying things to the media and was stubborn as hell when it came to change. Those were really the obvious differences. Just like Dabo, Danny was passionate, loved his team and loves people. Has a heart of gold but tough as nails and not afraid to make difficult decisions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The losing season his second year felt a lot like Bowden

May 27, 2017, 8:05 AM

Bowden never had a losing season. Clearly Dabo was a likable guy but it was like here we go again a 9 win season followed by a mediocre season.

His first press conference was amazing. He was clearly different.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all due respect, Bowden couldn't carry Dabo's jock

May 27, 2017, 8:09 AM

strap....Bowden? Come on Pard. Bowden probably made 15 of the top 20 dumbest game day decisions I have ever seen.

well yes that is why Dabo's losing season felt like a Bowden

May 27, 2017, 8:14 AM

season. The cupboard wasn't exactly bare either, but recruits were coming.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The losing season his second year felt a lot like Bowden

May 27, 2017, 11:29 PM [ in reply to The losing season his second year felt a lot like Bowden ]

His first press conference was amazing. Maybe I'm a little better at reading people than the stock market as well. As I stated a few times, when that reporter asked Dabo just what were his intentions at Clemson. Dabo replied " Win Championships ". It's chilling every time I watch it.

Re: If you go back to the day he was hired, there weren't 5% of

May 27, 2017, 8:41 AM [ in reply to If you go back to the day he was hired, there weren't 5% of ]

When he fired Spence & had the Oline dien in a 3 point stance that week vs. GaTech, who wasn't happy about having at least that change? Lol
But, in all seriousness, I admit I was not in that 5%. I did try to keep the Danny hire in mind, but just trying to use the law of averages, I was having a hard time trying to convince myself we could catch lightning in a bottle twice at the same program. I never waivered in my support, and honestly the 2010 season began to change my thinking. After the way Dabo stood tall and faced things after the USF loss in the bowl game, I knew there was something different to him. I even told my coot brother in law after that season that I felt like as long as Dabo was given a fair chance at Clemson, greater things were on the horizon & the chicken fan base would regret saying they hoped he'd be at Clemson forever.

5 good arms once Brice arrives

May 27, 2017, 9:18 AM

Brice is rapidly improving as a passer. If he had early-enrolled, there is no reason why he couldn't have won the starting job.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: 5 good arms once Brice arrives

May 27, 2017, 9:37 AM

Amazing how many Clemson fans were sure Dabo Swinney was THE MAN so early on. I was not among the soothsayers who saw early on the great future Dabo was about to create.

Dabo had never been a coordinator. Dabo was fired by Alabama and was selling real estate at one time.
Dabo's resume was thin. Dabo had been on the Clemson coaching staff for several years under Bowden and he had not made a detectably huge impact on the performance of our team. How could a guy so far off the radar be so good?

Having seen Bowden, West, Hatfield, Parker and Ingram come and go, and having noted how much more often new coaches fail than win big, I was skeptical. Congratulations to you guys who saw it coming and knew it early. I was not with you.

It's pretty easy to call Dabo THE MAN now. It was harder to be solidly in his corner the year he lost back to back to back games vs Auburn, Miami and UNC, then ended the season losing 3 of four, including Boston College, South Carolina and then losing to South Florida in the bowl game in Charlotte.

Hey, I'm a huge Tiger fan and I've seen hundreds of games live all over the country. I've been here since Howard, lived the Danny Ford Glory years and I was there for the big wins in the way back and that first national title. I never lost faith and always cheered for the Tigers.

But I did not see ahead of time just how perfect, just how successful and just how admirable in every way Dabo Swinney was going to be for Clemson.

Congrats to those of you who saw it coming. Yall got any good stock tips you want to pass along?

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am better at reading people than the stock market...

May 27, 2017, 10:32 AM

And while I was a big proponent of Dabo day 1, I must admit I didn't see him being this effective. I just knew he was genuine, positive and serious. All the things I like to see in a coach. ????

re: didn't see Dabo coming either

May 27, 2017, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: 5 good arms once Brice arrives ]

Count me in the group that thought he would be a disaster, for much the same reason.

He'd never been a coordinator. I knew he was an effective recruiter - when you pointed him at the right target; CJ Spiller showed that. He also had a tendency to go find "5-heart" guys and come back with a herd of goats almost to the extent our old DC Jon Lovett - the original goat-herder - once did. ("Goats", for the uninitiated, are prospects who do not pan out, players who cannot play.)

He was incredibly enthusiastic and confident, but his sound bytes made me cringe.

I thought he was in completely over his head, was the last gasp of a lame-duck AD in Terry Don Phillips and a BOT that seemed to be mailing it in and were both going with Dabo because he was cheap and they'd just foolishly re-upped Tommy Bowden to a massive, undeserved buyout just six games before firing him. I thought they'd get what they paid for and that Dabo would be an absolute unmitigated epic disaster...and sorry, that first full season with Napier as an OC was brutal.

But it didn't go that way. One thing - even after that brutal first full season, Dabo kept selling, kept recruiting, kept adding talent. He had banked a bunch of scholies after only getting that "Dandy Dozen" in his first truncated season and rather than blow them on warm bodies he wisely parlayed those scholies into elite recruits next year - and that decision may have completely reversed his fortunes. He got some traction, started winning games, and people started believing in him. And now there's a chance Dabo could be the coach who re-defines the game and how coaches lead. If Urban Meyer and Nick Saban exemplify the steely-eyed, calculating, utterly emotionless, All Business style of leadership, Dabo is the guy who goes completely the other direction, putting family, sentiment, and the well-being, development, and education of his players first.

Go figure. Didn't see that coming. At all. And I've never been so delighted to be shown to be completely dead-wrong.

Once you've won Daytona

May 27, 2017, 6:43 PM

Winning it again is all that matters.

Replies: 12
| visibility 3,057
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic