Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A BOWL GAME MEMORY....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

A BOWL GAME MEMORY....

Dec 27, 2012, 8:34 PM

31 years ago, I was a young 34-year old working feverously to build an interstate wholesale business; my son was a teenager, and my youngest brother was a 20-year-old all excited about an upcoming trip. For you see, Clemson was preparing to play a bowl-game-for-life, as I like to call it...The Orange Bowl, against a storied program, the mighty Nebraska Cornhuskers.

Most of the Clemson nation had survived through that 1981 season in a form of stunned disbelief, as we won one game after the other...and, lo and behold, here we were ready to play for the national championship! And, of course, most folks thought we had little chance to knock off our foes, even though we were ranked No. 1, Nebraska No. 4.

Then, came that memorable night, and the doubt remained...except in the minds of a determined staff and a remarkable group of young men. And by God, the team members individually and collectively summoned up the best within themselves and rose to the occasion. I'm now 65 years old and not ashamed to admit it: when the outcome was finally decided...when the TV screens flashed the giant banner proclaiming Clemson as the National Champions, I stood, cheered, applauded...and cried. Cried because of my love and pride in my Alma Mater...cried because I knew what that great victory meant to Clemson and to all of the Clemson Nation...cried because I knew how much courage and strength it took our team to face the Goliath...and bring home the trophy.

Yes, we have been to the mountaintop...one of a select few over the years to have done so...and we have seen the Promised Land. Now, our upcoming game with LSU is not for such a prestigeous trophy; however, this game will be for a title of will...of effort...of our staff and team summoning up all that is within themselves to face a most worthy, renowned and mighty opponent. There is a time for debate, a time to discuss, even to digress...But this time, the entire Clemson Nation must rise to encourage and support OUR COACH, OUR STAFF AND OUR TEAM!

BRING IT HOME TO CLEMSON, TIGERS!!! DEFEAT LSU!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A BOWL GAME MEMORY....

Dec 27, 2012, 8:40 PM

They should make a poster out of your post sir!!! GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!!!!!! I'M with ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said

Dec 27, 2012, 8:42 PM

I was not at the Orange Bowl, but watching it on TV. After watching all of the games prior to the bowl, I knew that somehow that team was going to win. They had a winning attitude and laid it on the line EACH game. This year's bowl might not be for the national championship, but winning it could signal the start of something big for next year. Let's GO TIGERS!!!! BEAT LSU!!!!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

One of our earlier games during that season was at home

Dec 29, 2012, 8:04 AM

against No. 4 ranked Georgia...a game that few people believed we could win. As the game progressed, most of us were both in shock and awe of our performance...and literal disbelief as the final seconds ticked off the clock. And even as the season progressed, there was a nervous excitement along with an increasing wonder as to how we would fare in each game. Yet, we kept winning until the Orange Bowl. Just as with our upcoming game with LSU, many of the Clemson faithful thought we could defeat Nebraska, although the task seemed insurmountable. Yet, against all odds the staff and team rose to the challenge...a great lesson, I suggest, for our current staff and team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I gotta give you that one

Dec 27, 2012, 8:46 PM

It was Clemson vs the world, a few things had to fall into place for us to even be in that position. But they did, the Clemson faithfull (including me), invaded South Florida and slept wherever they could, in cars, on floors in mobile homes in Hollywood.

But we had arrived, wearing overalls as a small agricultural univeristy from upstate SC.

And we did it !

My youngest brother, whom I mentioned, arrived at my home

Dec 27, 2012, 8:54 PM

near Columbia with several friends to spend the night enroute to the game. The first words out of their mouths: "We're hungry!" I d@mn near had to empty my bank accounts to feed that crowd...and then they proceeded to drink up all my "private stash." When they departed, they asked if they could drop-by on the return...and I promptly told them that I would be away on business. Took me quite a while to recover! LOL

Party at hartins's house...show up hungry!***

Dec 27, 2012, 9:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

awesome, hopefully hartins has some friends that have

Dec 27, 2012, 9:04 PM

daughters.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL...and Granddaughters, nieces, ex's, whatever!***

Dec 27, 2012, 9:07 PM

ok, you drive a hard bargain.***

Dec 27, 2012, 9:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope...I drive a Ford...Mustang convertible...got it after a

Dec 27, 2012, 9:29 PM

hard bargain! LOL

Merry after Christmas, GWP...The funny thing was that the

Dec 27, 2012, 9:05 PM [ in reply to Party at hartins's house...show up hungry!*** ]

######## only drove down from Rock Hill to Columbia...then had to drive from here to Miami. I've long thought the only reasons for the stopover were for the free food...and whatever beer and booze they could sneak off with! Bunch of cheapskates! LOL

Sounds eerily similar to LinebackerU. Same guy?***

Dec 27, 2012, 9:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Nope...although he is a member of TNet. You can trash

Dec 27, 2012, 9:16 PM

him for introducing me to the site! LOL

Message was edited by: hartins®

Great story, thanks for sharing !

Dec 27, 2012, 9:03 PM [ in reply to My youngest brother, whom I mentioned, arrived at my home ]

wiadh I had had a place to stop off !

Re: I gotta give you that one

Dec 27, 2012, 9:04 PM [ in reply to I gotta give you that one ]

I was there and rode a bus in from the hotel. We had some loud mouth Nebraska fans on the bus...Of course they did not make the return trip to the motel on our bus...Great memories......

Why Hartins............

Dec 27, 2012, 9:46 PM

Your youngest brother is a close, personal, friend of mine. I happen to know that he would have never taken advantage of your hospitality, or your booze, in those days. As he is 51 now, he asked me to remind you to stock up on prunes and metamucil for this years trip!!

LOL...Well, if he is a close,personal friend, then surely

Dec 27, 2012, 9:58 PM

you know what a cheapskate he is, has been and always will be. In fact, I happen to know that he himself even at the early age of 51 likes prunes and takes daily doses of Dr. McGruder's All Natural OlderAge Remedy to ward off creeping senility! Other than that, I can assure you that I have known him longer than you have, and he in fact along with his fiends...er friends, were food and beer/booze leeches enroute to that bowl...and I have other proof! Now, begone you cad!

Hey, that's good stuff. That rivals RevDodd's sermons.***

Dec 27, 2012, 9:52 PM

Thanks, Al...But I am a poor slob when compared to the

Dec 27, 2012, 10:01 PM

Rev's masterful capabilities to energize the masses! He is a TigerNet Stalwart!

Hartins -- Kerrect! I was stationed at

Dec 27, 2012, 10:53 PM

Fort Benning, Ga - near Columbus and traveled to Miami for the game. I held my breath until the clock ticked down. Nebraska had the All American back, Rozier, and was coached by the legendary coach, Tom Osborne. Clemson took it to them and won the National Championship!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang HARRY...have you been in the rum egg nog again?!

Dec 28, 2012, 12:00 AM

Haaaaaa! Give 'em h*ll & kick 'em in the ditch. GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, Bill...but I do have my occasional afternoon two

Dec 28, 2012, 8:45 AM

fingers of JD on the rocks! Best wishes.

Exactly one week after my CU graduation and

Dec 28, 2012, 5:39 AM [ in reply to Hartins -- Kerrect! I was stationed at ]

commissioning in May 1969, I was in the Airborne School at Ft. Benning followed by other schools. Then, I was off to overseas duty. By the time the '81 season rolled around, I had been out of service about eight years and was attending virtually all home games. Wasn't able to go to Miami for the NC due to an extremely heavy work schedule, yet I remember the day of the game very well. We gathered with a number of Clemson friends for a viewing party and after the victory, we all went out to a Columbia nightclub to celebrate. What a night!

What a great post....bravo!***

Dec 28, 2012, 2:07 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A BOWL GAME MEMORY....

Dec 29, 2012, 9:54 AM

You were not alone in your tears. I don't know any Clemson Tiger that night who didn't cry. And you are correct, we can do this! Get 'em Tigers!

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic