Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
9/11 Where were you?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 70
| visibility 51

9/11 Where were you?

Sep 11, 2019, 6:57 AM

I was a Junior at Clemson watching tv before heading to class. Needless to say I never made it to class that day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at work - in a room giving a child a test

Sep 11, 2019, 7:04 AM

when a co-worker opened the door to tell me a plane had hit one of the towers. We assumed it was a small private plane. She came back a few minutes later to say the second tower had been hit and that they had been commercial planes. She was totally shocked when I responded by saying "we need to blow Afghanistan off the map!".

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Afghanistan...Really? Care to expound...?***

Sep 12, 2019, 2:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 9/11 Where were you?

Sep 11, 2019, 7:04 AM

I was at a charity golf outing in Chicago. Being in or near a city the size of Chicago, there's always noise so you become deaf to most of it. But on 9/11 it was eerily quiet. Traffic decreased, jets weren't flying into and out of the 2 airports and everyone was speechless. A sad and unforgettable day to say the least.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 7:07 AM

At work. We learned of the first plane just before our first break, which came at 9:15. Surprised they made us continue working, but they did post updates at lunch, and throughout the day.
It was on Tuesday, and if I recall about 40 % of the plant didn't come in on Wednesday.

Sep 11, 2019, 9:08 AM

At work sifting through Tiger Chat. I was in the basement of P&A and couldn't get outside fast enough..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At work in Orangeburg, SC

Sep 11, 2019, 7:10 AM

It was Election Day (local)

I was in route from Florence to La Spezia Italy and when we

Sep 11, 2019, 7:11 AM

got to our hotel in La Spezia, they told us to look at what was happening in New York on TV. Almost got sick to my stomach watching the towers on fire then collapsing. We were supposed to work there for a week but didn't have any idea when we would get home after this. Turns out I caught one of the 1st flights back to the states and when we landed in Atlanta the whole plane erupted with a huge cheer!
That's the most nervous I've ever been about flying, especially the boarding process and take off and landing!

Sep 11, 2019, 7:15 AM

I was getting gas for my Eastman Kodak company vehicle at a Sphinx on Batesville Road in Greer. They had those little TV screens on the pumps. I thought it was odd how a plane could hit a building but it had happened before in the 40's with the Empire State Building. But when a second hit the other tower it was now deliberate.....

Sep 11, 2019, 7:17 AM

I was at work and had just went to Lowes. When I got back, my co-workers told me what was going on. I turned on the TV at work and got very little done the rest of the day.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

IN Dr's office for a routine check up. Then went home and spent a fair amount of time here. Once tv news started covering it. I've never had a day anything like that one

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 9/11 Where were you? - Running my rural GA route. I was

in Dr. Joe Morgan's office, when the tower came down. We prayed, I went home, picked my sone up from school, told him we were at war.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 9/11 Where were you? - Running my rural GA route. I was

Sep 11, 2019, 7:26 AM

At work. We didn’t have I phones or tablets and could not get news on the computers but someone had a TV in their office so we watch the unfolding there.

Was at my house getting cleaned up from a long PT workout

Sep 11, 2019, 7:26 AM

at Fort Campbell and just as I was drying off from my shower the first plane hit the North tower. Got my BDU's on as quickly as I could and spent the next four hours trying to get back on Post (Post was on lock-down).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 7:29 AM

I was sleeping in because I came home late the night before from picking up my fiance, my mom, and my mother in law from the airport. It was the last time I was able to go to a gate without a boarding pass. So while trying to sleep in during this morning, the house phone down stairs (I didn't have a cell phone yet) just kept waking me up from ringing over and over again and after the 4th or 5th time I was figuring it was a family member trying to urgently reach me so I went downstairs to see if they left a message and it was my mom saying to turn on the news because a plane had hit one of the twin towers. And I figured it was just a small plane... it happens from time to time. So I turn on the TV totally confused because one of the towers was missing and there's the other tower where a plane had hit it. I'm thinking, "how on earth did a small plane hitting one tower cause the other tower to collapse? Did it fly through the first tower and knock over the second?" It was so disorienting at first and then finally got all the facts when it was explained that there were two planes and elsewhere maybe a 3rd and 4th plane hijacked....

Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama. In a staff meeting.

Sep 11, 2019, 7:31 AM

Secretary came in and told us that a plane had hit one of the twin towers. I remember thinking it was a small plane like a Cessna and that it was an accident. Then obviously turned on the news and found out otherwise. Couldn’t leave the building or base until later that day. As tabby mentioned we were on lockdown.

On corporate jet - over N.C. - ordered to land immediately

Sep 11, 2019, 7:34 AM

Pilot told us we had to land immediately at non commercial airstrip. Went inside building just as the second plane hit towers. I was close to home, but corporate visitors from Chicago and pilots were grounded for the week.
Sad days.

I was at McCarron airport waiting to fly back home from Vegas

Sep 11, 2019, 7:40 AM

Needless to say, that flight never happened and I ended up renting a Ford Taurus and driving back to Greenville from Nevada. I enjoyed the drive and have made the trek 6 times since. I wasn’t letting terrorists keep me from my home. Screw them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was at McCarron airport waiting to fly back home from Vegas

Sep 11, 2019, 8:06 AM

I think something like that happened to Rodney Williams and he drove back. I think maybe he bought whatever he drove though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In a 2 bedroom apartment in Columbia

Sep 11, 2019, 7:44 AM

Got dressed to go to Clemson to take pictures of a student injured in a wreck for an auto claim. Was just leaving when first plane hit. Thought a horrible accident at first and left. Listened in radio as everything unfolded. Towers came down when I was around Lauren's. Got to Clemson got pics came back and saw it all on TV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In a 2 bedroom apartment in Columbia

Sep 11, 2019, 8:13 AM

I was changing oil in a John Deere tractor in Greenville,Il. Listening to the radio heard the first plane hit,thought nothing of it as it had happened before. Then my boss came in and said you need to get home. Got home and saw the destruction after the second plane had just hit. It was like a punch in the gut.

Washington, DC

Sep 11, 2019, 7:51 AM

It was a bad day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 7:52 AM

I was living in San Francisco. I watched it all on TV in shock like all of us. Afterr the 2nd building went down I decided to go on a drive. I drove across the Gilden Gate Bridge and there were only a couple of cars on the whole bridge. The roads wefe empty.

Cherry Point Marine p Station

Sep 11, 2019, 7:53 AM

9/11 happened after I passed through the gate of the base. I was there as a sakes rep to sell spray equipment to paint refurbished planes. When I pulled up to the hanger, two soldiers ran by me yelling “we are going to war”. Another ran up and told me to get off the base ASAP.

Sep 11, 2019, 7:54 AM

We were hosting a conference on advanced combat casualty care technology for the military. Within an hour or so about 20% of the attendees were emergency recalled and the rest were stuck there along with so many other people in similar situations.
I lived right next to Hurlburt Field at the time which is AFSOC HQ. One image I'll never forget is the families with flags standing on the bridge over Hwy 98 and waving to their pilots as a line of C-130s that stretched to the horizon were taking off and headed east. I've cheered for a linebacker or defensive end to smash somebody, but nothing like I did for those guys; glad they got all they did!

I was at the Lexington, S.C. post office when

Sep 11, 2019, 8:01 AM

a customer mentioned a plane crash into one of the towers.

I drove from there to a local retail store on a courtesy call where the staff was watching tv news, and as the story unfolded, I remained for at least two hours. Customers entering, who had not heard the news, gathered around the tv with us.

Just couldn't believe those terrorists could have been in this country long enough to have planned and executed those attacks without a number of others here not knowing it. Still don't. And the SOB's still go about their activities here with sealed lips and guilty-as-he1l minds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your last paragraph says it all... Agree 110%!!!***

Sep 12, 2019, 3:14 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Earle Hall...

Sep 11, 2019, 8:03 AM

Taking an intro to Circuits class.

Sep 11, 2019, 8:07 AM

I was in class. I had all my graduate classes on tuesday/ thursdays so i was in class from 8-12.

Then i went to Subway for lunch and noticed that there was no music, but I was in a hurry to get back to class to teach a lab. I ate quickly and was headed back to Riggs.

When i left subway and walked by the union i saw a crowd of people next to the TV. I asked someone what happened and thats how I found out.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Working for the man***

Sep 11, 2019, 8:09 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Sep 11, 2019, 8:10 AM

In a meeting at work. My boss at the time husband was flying out of Boston that morning. Her secretary came in to tell us the news. My boss cancelled the meeting to check on her husband. The rest of the day was spent watching CNN in the common room watch the events unfold.

I was supposed to be on the 81st floor at the Twin Towers

Sep 11, 2019, 8:10 AM

For a conference with my peers. The leader out of Chicago pregnant wife had to be hospitalized a week before the conference so we moved the meeting to Chicago.
We all sat in a conference room at a hotel watching this unfold knowing all 17 of us should have been there. Everyone on the 81st floor died.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was supposed to be on the 81st floor at the Twin Towers

Sep 11, 2019, 11:14 AM

My goodness that story gives me goosebumps. Thank you for sharing that with us. I've heard this a few times about people that were supposed to be there but ended up running late or moved meetings to somewhere else. It's little miracles inside a giant disaster. God bless America and Go Tigers.

Working for a defense contracot

Sep 11, 2019, 8:13 AM

They brought in tanks and jeeps with 50 cals for each gate.

Sep 11, 2019, 8:17 AM

I was teaching computer classes back then and was doing a lesson on web design. I had our class pull up The State's web site to look at their layout and the headline, at that time, was that a small plane had hit the WTC, so we moved on with the class. Our girl at the front desk listened to the radio all day and it turned to news so she kept us posted. We wound up checking the internet again and were able to better keep up. I remember how aghast I was that the towers had fallen. I went home at lunch and watched the news and my jaw just hit the floor in disbelief.

On a whim, I swung by a Home Depot on the way back to work and picked up two American flags - the last two they had there. I put one up at home after work and the other up at my office. I'll never forget the feeling of unity that day - particularly seeing members of Congress out on the steps singing God Bless America. Too bad that it takes such a tragedy like that to bring people together.

Sep 11, 2019, 8:26 AM

Working at my desk. I had flown into Charlotte from New York the night before. I have a picture of me standing on top of the Empire state building with the twin towers over my shoulder, it was taken on September 9th. I had the T.V. on in my office and the Today show was interrupted with the news that the first plane had hit. Things went downhill from there.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 8:27 AM

Trying to avoid ATL traffic, I usually tried to get to the office by 0900-ish, so an 0845-ish departure. Had just gotten in the car on the way to work, heard the very tail end of the news cycle saying something about an explosion at the Twin Towers. At first I wondered about whether I had just heard one of those "This day in history." thinking it was maybe about the first bombing but I didn't know what day that had happened on. Since there were few details at the time, the normal news and commercial cycle continued while I was driving to the office. They announced that a plane had flown into the first tower and right about when I was getting ot of the car at the office the 2nd plane hit. I ran in and we found a TV but it was only ever used for PowerPoint so no cable or antenna, so someone ran across the road to the ACE Hardware for an antenna. By then we they had the footage of the 2nd plane hitting . I remember since I had initially thought about the first bombing, I said "F---ing bin Laden finally came around for seconds." Didn't know at the time that that would turn out to be true. Then the Pentagon strike all but confirmed it was an attack.

No work got done that day, we spent it at that power-point TV with rabbit ears. By lunch time everyone just went home.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bin Laden...? Really? Care to expound?***

Sep 12, 2019, 3:20 AM

Sep 11, 2019, 8:28 AM

I was in my first semester at Greenville Tech. My first class didnt start until 10:10 that day so I slept in.. The TV was on in the other room though and the first words I heard when I woke up were "...A second plane has hit the WTC"

I ran in to the living room and my Father and I watched the next several hours in shock.

Sep 11, 2019, 8:29 AM

Clemson

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Soph at Clemson. My room mate for NJ woke me up

Sep 11, 2019, 8:29 AM

right after the 2nd plane hit.

In Tillman Hall for my history of southern politics class

Sep 11, 2019, 8:51 AM

my senior year at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Working a contract in Austin, Tx

Sep 11, 2019, 8:51 AM

Just arrived at work to get the day started and was reading an alert on a online newspaper that a small commuter plan hit one of the trade center towers...the newspaper mentions a possible navigational error. Called my dad to turn on the TV to see what they were saying since I was at work and didn't have TV there. He flipped on the TV and we were talking on the phone when he said "oh, the plane just hit one of the towers" and I said "no, it already hit the tower...that's why I called". It was a little confused as we were just starting to talk about it before we both realized it was a second jet strike.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 8:55 AM

I was contracting at SunTrust in Richmond, VA at the time. We started getting phone calls about the first plane had hit the tower. One of my coworkers had a small portable tv that she pulled out and we started watching that. By 10:00, the company had put a tv on a cart in the lobby and most everyone in the building was watching. Saw 2 F-16's flying overhead (low altitude) in the area. I'm guessing it was due to a Federal Reserve Bank being in Richmond. Company sent everyone home around 1:30. Very sad day for all of the lives lost.

In Davidson NC, walking to POB across the street from college..and woman passed me saying..

Sep 11, 2019, 8:59 AM

they were bombing us..which eft me confused until I got to my office block away & immediately turned on the tv..

and wow, couldn't believe my eyes!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 9:01 AM

I was deer hunting at Backwoods Quail Club in Georgetown. Got out of the stand later than normal that morning, went back to check in and the first plane had just hit. Found that odd but didn’t read too much into it. Turned it to talk radio on the way back to Pawleys and realized life would never be the same.

Sep 11, 2019, 9:03 AM

Was driving in to D.C. to get some things from work, listening to Tony Bruno. Just before I left my car he noted that there was a preliminary report about a plane hitting the WTC. I just assumed it was a private pilot in a Piper cub who'd had a heart attack or something.

I was back in my car 30 minutes later, but found that Tony's show had been preempted by the audio of local televised news. Didn't take me long to get up to speed, and by that time all three hits had occurred. I got to a high spot in NE DC and looked back to see if I could see smoke from the Pentagon, but that direction was blocked by hills.

I was headed directly to get an MRI, and it was a long drive, even for D.C., made longer by the traffic. I watched the second tower fall in the waiting room with other patients waiting for their imaging to be done.

We all made eye contact, but nobody said a word.

Nobody had to.

Nobody could.

Message was edited by: cuthbert®

at work, following updates on tigernet

Sep 11, 2019, 9:11 AM

There was a former poster here who worked across the river from Manhattan and posted pics. Incredible.

3rdgeneration

We were in meetings during the day and our boss told us the first tower, then the second tower collapsed. And that the Pentagon had been attacked. My only thought was "holy ####". It was reflexive. Everyone said that. Watch the only video of the first plane hitting and that's what the NYFD guys all say. There were just no word adequate to describe it.

I'll never forget that day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Working at the chemical plant. My brother was at the

Sep 11, 2019, 9:44 AM

Pentagon, but thankfully was not in the section where the plane hit. He would never talk about that day, so I suspect he witnessed some terrible things firsthand.

Sep 11, 2019, 9:46 AM

Driving to Atlanta Hartsfield for a flight to Pittsburgh. Watched the aftermath with stunned travelers on TV in the Delta Crown Room. Needless to say, I didn't make it to Pittsburgh.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 11, 2019, 9:46 AM

I was working a project at the SC DMV in Columbia.

This is what I do remember. After we heard a second plane hit the twin towers (we thought the first one was a small Cessna as well) we scrambled to the internet to get news. All the major news sites were clobbered and wouldn't load.

The one site that worked...TigerNet. I ended up getting a lot of updates from people here.

Sep 12, 2019, 6:55 AM

Like many others, I was at work and couldn't get into CNN or any network TV online. I started searching news outlets in major cities and was finally able to get on the Chicago Tribune site. I went home for lunch and had a message from church wanting us to call the families of our Sunday school kids about a prayer service that night. I did not go back to work that afternoon, just sat with my dog and watched the news. My husband spent the afternoon and evening driving to Atlanta to pick up his boss who was stranded at the airport.

The next morning I heard "God Bless the USA" on the radio just as I arrived at a doctor appt. I sat in the parking building crying while the song played.

Orlando FL

Sep 11, 2019, 10:04 AM

Was working in a datacenter (computer room back then).

Phone I had at the time didn't get great reception so really didn't know what was going on that morning. Until one of the network guys came in and said we better go to the customer lounge to look at the news. The local news broke in and reported they had just shut down Disney and SeaWorld - knew it was big at that point but hadn't seen the actual video of the towers coming down.

Then they closed the airport.

Three of us from the Carolinas decided to drive back in the Ford Focus I had rented as soon as we could that early afternoon. Had to leave our luggage at the hotel to ship later.

Still surreal 18 years later.

Sep 11, 2019, 10:13 AM

At work and for some strange reason had a b/w tv in my office

In basic training for the military***

Sep 11, 2019, 10:15 AM

In my office in Greenville...

Sep 11, 2019, 10:22 AM

I had just walked out of a meeting and buddy of mine called and and told me that a commercial jet had flown into one of the towers.

I don't remember his name but there was a TigerNet poster in New Jersey who was posting pictures as it unfolded.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Sep 11, 2019, 10:42 AM

About 3 blocks away on John St. in NYC. The second plane that hit actually shook our 40 story building. There was an easterly breeze blowing what looked like confetti shortly thereafter all throughout downtown. A few co-workers walked west to see what happened. It was first reported that a small aircraft crashed into the trade center. A few others, including myself, worried that NYC was being attacked. We raced east over to Pier 11. Luckily, we were able to board what turned out to be the last ferry to leave downtown that morning. Nobody knew where it was headed, but we knew enough to leave downtown. Turns out the ferry docked in downtown Jersey City just as the first tower came down. We watched in horror from the port side of the boat. I was able to get a ride home from a friend i met at the dock. As we drove out rte 78, we stared ahead in silence. Instead of going home, i had him drop me off at my local church so i could say a few prayers. Unbeknownst to me, my 3 children and the entire school were also at the church saying a prayer when i arrived. I'll never forget the look in their eyes when they saw me enter. As i write this, i still work downtown on Maiden Lane and every year on this day i call my friend that gave me a ride, just to say hello.

Wow. Thank you for sharing that.***

Sep 11, 2019, 11:33 AM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Sep 11, 2019, 11:02 AM

I was sitting in my fourth grade first period classroom. Mrs. Flakes class. She turned on the TV and class was dismissed shortly after.

Sep 11, 2019, 11:09 AM

I was active duty Navy at the time. Stationed on Submarine Base Kings Bay Georgia onboard the USS Kentucky. I remember someone coming into our office to inform us that a plane had hit the World Trade Center and we should listen to the radio. Our office spaces had very little windows because we had classified material, that we used on a daily basis, so most of us gathered around the one window that we could get radio reception listen. When the news stations reported that the towers had fallen along with the attacks on the Pentagon. I really didn't comprehend what they meant by the towers falling, until about an hour later I was able to see it on TV and realize the severity of it. The radio station out of Jacksonville Florida had reports of other cities being attacked as well. Cities like Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles and more. We thought we were under a full scale attack by an unknown enemy. They sent us home early that day and told us to prepare to come back and take the Submarine to sea. The next morning what normally took about 15 minutes to get on base took about 3 hours. They were searching every vehicle coming on base to ensure no one was bringing anything on base to do damage.

Sep 11, 2019, 11:23 AM

At work. At that time, I was working full-time and in class in the evenings. I worked for Griffin Radiator in Piedmont and was one of the only people on the shop floor with a computer. We had this courier, Steve, and he came through and told me how two planes had hit the Trade Center buildings and we were under attack. I "dialed in" to AOL around the time the plane hit the Pentagon and by that point, a small crowd of coworkers had formed around my kiosk. There was just a flurry of information coming in and then the other jet crashed in PA. Around that time, Jackie Griffin (one of the owners) came by and told me to turn my computer off and get back to work - I declined, and at the time had an uncle I was close to that worked in The Pentagon. I told her I just wanted to go home - she then told me I could continue to leave the computer up, but just to try and keep working. I don't think we got much accomplished the rest of the day - I felt so sick and we knew our lives were changed forever.

Later that night, I met up with some buddies in a friend's pasture in Powdersville for a couple of beers. I remember everything being so quiet and calm - almost no one was on the road and none of us said much. We were standing around talking and all of a sudden heard this roar of some jets overhead and could see lights from 3-4 jets screaming across the sky. I knew the skies were shut down, so I assumed we were maybe under attack again. My friends and I just stared in silence at the sky, wondering what was happening and when it would all be over. (It turned out that there had been some kind of threat made against the Oconee plant and F-16s were scrambled from Shaw.)

In the nearly 20 years, I moved to Charleston, finished school and my life is 180 degrees different from how things were back then (personally for the better), but I'll never forget that day. I can remember almost every part of it - morning, noon and night.

Walking out of a microbiology test my

Sep 11, 2019, 11:29 AM

2nd year of med school. 9/11 was a healthy and shocking dose of perspective

In New York...

Sep 11, 2019, 11:40 AM

I was going to an informational meeting about a job in one of the towers that morning but the night before I decided not to go. It still gives me chills when I think about that.

i was only in 5th grade

Sep 11, 2019, 12:00 PM

And we didn't have TVs or anything at my school so we didn't hear about it until the very end of school like at 2:30 when we were told that we would have no school the next day because something tragic happened in our country.

That was it no more details. So of course kids being kids we speculated as to what happened, my friend was worried that his grandparents in Ohio were in danger until the teacher re-assured him it wasn't Ohio. She looked distraught but spurned our questions.

One kid in my class had come in late to school that day and he was saying something about the "twin towers". I didn't hear for sure until my parents picked me up and told me and then we listened on the radio, went home and turned on the tv for a while.

The school decided to let the parents tell in the way they wanted, so we went the whole day not knowing

Sep 11, 2019, 12:02 PM

Lehotsky Hall in class. It was my senior year at Clemson. My girlfriend and I heard about the first plane hitting on the radio sitting in the parking lot behind Lehotsky but didn't really listen because they made it sound like a small plane had hit and I had a 9 o'clock class. Got into class and sat down and the professor had turned on the TV and we saw the second plane hit. We all sat there silent until the first tower fell. He told us all to go home and call our families.

At work - a manager told me - I couldn't get my head around

Sep 11, 2019, 12:13 PM

what he told me.

The thing I will ALWAYS remember is the calmness & friendliness of everyone I came in contact with for the next many days.

People letting you merge in on the road, nobody seemed to get riled up in grocery store lines, over & over a sense of unified spirit . . . . there was a commonality that we all shared for 5 or 6 days that I have never experienced - before or after.

We - pointing my finger at ME first & foremost - somehow need to hold onto that deep feeling of community that I sensed the first week after.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Fort Gordon, GA

Sep 11, 2019, 12:23 PM

Walked into my building and found my assistant and a group of young Soldiers watching the lobby televisions. The first plane had hit a few minutes earlier. When the second plane hit, one Soldier turned to the others and said "Guys, we're at war." These were all AIT students fresh out of basic training, so I told them to all head back to their units and check in, because someone would be looking for them. After the hit at the Pentagon, I tried without success to contact a couple of people I knew there. The TV coverage became a bit stale with the same video and commentary over and over, so I logged onto Tigernet. A regular poster named Lumbee was watching from his window across the river in New Jersey, so we all got an eyewitness account for the next few hours.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was living my sister(R.I.P) at the time...

Sep 11, 2019, 9:25 PM

It was an off day from a new job I had started.. Turned on my TV(It was about 8:35ish?) Went to the bathroom.. Went downstairs and grabbed something to drink... Come back upstairs and there was a massive hole in one of the WTC buildings.. Never thought of terrorism(actually thought the pilot of the plane may have had a medical emergency) then, while they were interviewing a eyewitness(watching NBC Coverage) the 2nd plane hit the other tower..

I was then thinking this was deliberate..
Then the Pentagon got hit...

Then the 4th plane(that was later determined to be headed to the U.S Capitol building) crashed in PA...

A Very surreal day indeed...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2019, 1:08 AM

I was in Mayport, FL onboard the USS John F. Kennedy. I am in the Navy (F-18 Hornet mechanic going on 19 years). At the time I had been in the Navy a few months shy of 2 years. I was in my first Hornet squadron (VFA-131 Wildcats) and we were on our last major training detachment prior to going on a 6 to 7 month deployment. We were just starting to pull away from the pier when the first tower was hit and by the time the 2nd tower was hit we were hauling ### to get out into open water so we could catch our jets. Our jets arrived fully loaded. As soon as they landed, we began re-fueling. Once they were refueled we launched them out to patrol the skies over NYC and DC. I’ve always felt a huge sense of pride in knowing that I was doing my part in defending the country. We provided protection for the next week or so before heading towards the operating area of where we were to conduct training. It’s definitely a day I will never forget. Looking back at what happened that day and the days and weeks after i am amazed at how patriotic the country was at that time. American flags everywhere! The country was unified back then. No matter what race, political party or whatever was never discussed or debated. It didn’t matter. Now here we are 18 years later hearing people call our flag a symbol of hate and oppression. As well as seeing and hearing American citizens actually supporting the idea of adopting socialism. Makes me sick! I hope and pray that it doesn’t take another terrorist attack to bring us back together.

Sep 12, 2019, 7:21 AM

Having lunch with a co-worker at a Deli in Charlotte while watching their TV. Reminded me of the day that JFK was killed. Terrible feeling of despair.

Just one more reason why I choose to stand, remove my hat, hand over heart, etc during MY National Anthem. Freedom is NOT FREE.

Sep 12, 2019, 7:46 AM

I was about to leave for work and always had the news on while getting ready and sat on the side of the bed watching and then seen the second plane hit. I stayed home as I was in sales and had the freedom to do that. I watched all day saying prayers on and off. My daughter and 8 year old grandson just went to New York in August and toured ground zero and the 911 museum. She said it was very emotional and that my grandson shed some tears in the museum but before he left he was happy to see how brave everyone was and that our great military had killed the bad guys. It made him so proud of our country and that his Dad was an Army veteran.

Replies: 70
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic