Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our empty top deck corners: unsold season tickets? unsold
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Our empty top deck corners: unsold season tickets? unsold

Oct 6, 2014, 10:25 AM
005.jpg(117.1 K)

individual tickets?

The the question is--cost vs location--should tickets be less for being in less desirable place in the stadium? How do you feel about that. I would not mind it if a family with some youngsters got to see Tiger football in those corners and fell in love with it.

One of the things Clemson did in the 70's was attract fans outside of its alumni base and they became die-hard Tigers through the 80's and 90's. I think we lost some of those people when the prices climbed and climbed and climbed. By 1990 we were putting 83,000-84,000 in Death Valley every game. These days were are lucky to see 80,000 show up. I don't know . . . just a thought.

BTW--how much does it cost to take a family of 4 to see a game in Death Valley? It used to be pretty cheap when I was growing up. In 1981 it was $10.00 a ticket. So for $40 you could take a family of 4 for just the game.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely, face value should vary per location.***

Oct 6, 2014, 10:27 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Yes, but not much.***

Oct 6, 2014, 11:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our empty top deck corners: unsold season tickets? unsold

Oct 6, 2014, 10:29 AM

great points. Prices should vary by location and game. Clemson must be in the business of exposing possible fans to the total experience of Death Valley. Attending a game at DV need not be an experience reserved for the middle class and up. Just my thoughts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prices do vary by game

Oct 6, 2014, 10:36 AM

and location is determined by giving level and consecutive years of giving.

The season tickets sold out this year, and Clemson has been running specials to sell what individual tickets there are remaining, but some people are just choosing to watch at their tailgates or stay home altogether.

I was trying to sell my 2 upper deck tickets before the game (I had been given a lower deck ticket by someone who couldn't make it)and I couldn't even get someone to take them for free because there were so many people selling better seats.

^^^Exactly.^^^***

Oct 6, 2014, 10:37 AM

Yeah. So what is the solution to filling our Valley again-

Oct 6, 2014, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Prices do vary by game ]

for all the games we play? Suppy and demand is one thing--forgoing the game for the social thing is another. TIA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly I don't think we'll fill it except for big games

Oct 6, 2014, 1:26 PM

from now on, and it's due to circumstances beyond our control.

TVs are bigger, cheaper and have better picture than ever before, and almost every single game is available on TV or online through WatchESPN, so more and more people choose to stay home.

It's not just our problem, it's everyone's problem. Alabama doesn't sell out every game, neither does Florida State. Oregon probably does a little better because their stadium is so small.

I fully expect a stadium project in the next 10 years to be getting rid of the bench seating and replacing the benches with individual seats, dropping the stadium capacity by 5,000-7,000.

Would hate to go backwards. I would hope with the growth of

Oct 6, 2014, 2:06 PM

our program to expand rather than diminish DV.

We already dropped seating once

Oct 7, 2014, 11:10 AM

the WestZone project reduced seating slightly.

A smaller stadium doesn't mean a step back for the program, and Death Valley will never have less than 70k seats or so, but I could see the lower deck benches being replaced and capacity dropping because of it.

Agree, they absolutely should vary by location, especially

Oct 6, 2014, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Our empty top deck corners: unsold season tickets? unsold ]

the corners of both upper decks. We already vary the game prices, in some cases by a wide margin. The same should be done for the location.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would give them away before I left them empty!

Oct 6, 2014, 10:48 AM

work something out w/ local school districts...offer as incentives to grade school students. Growing up in the 70s/80s, our family was lower middle class at best. However, we had a local Iptay rep that loved CU and he would always have extra tickets that he would give away to folks that otherwise could not afford season tickets. Granted, I watched many games from the upper decks...at least I was there, and my love for Clemson was born! With our vast football admin staff, Iptay reps, etc. we need a full blown effort to put fannies in seats. Every week!

Oct 6, 2014, 10:40 AM

I take my family of 4 to one home game every year and it isnt cheap! I could probably do it cheaper, but I dont know how long my kids would last if we went to the upper deck. We just went to the NCSt game and I paid $80/ ticket... a far cry from your $40!

my family of 5 attend games regularly for

Oct 6, 2014, 10:53 AM

$100... top deck north.

My son and I never miss home games..top deck north.

There are no axe wielding murderers up there. It is high but the air is breathable. .I don't know why your kids would perish.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I didn't say they would perish. Don't act like this is a

Oct 6, 2014, 11:59 AM

Soft thing... They are young. The game will not hold their attention at 3 and 4 years old if they can't see the players and cheerleaders up close. So it's more about me not wanting to leave the game early.

JFTR- I was just answering the OP, so don't try to make this into a b-ing thing. I'm an iptay member and I get it. I just don't have 4 lower level seats, so I buy them once a year.

Clemson was selling tickets to NCSU game for $24. That had

Oct 6, 2014, 10:42 AM

to be the upper corners, and still people didn't bite.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

I wonder how widely known this was. I commend them for

Oct 6, 2014, 10:43 AM

trying.

it was even on Living Social as a deal last week.***

Oct 6, 2014, 1:27 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: Clemson was selling tickets to NCSU game for $24. That had

Oct 6, 2014, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Clemson was selling tickets to NCSU game for $24. That had ]

if you looked on site it was the top few rows all across the north stands

when and where were they selling at this price?

Oct 6, 2014, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Clemson was selling tickets to NCSU game for $24. That had ]

would have been nice to have known that

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It costs min. $600 per game to take my family and stay one

Oct 6, 2014, 10:45 AM

night in a hotel. 2 parents and one 12 year old child. That's after getting up at 5AM to leave by 6:15 on Saturday morning.

It's neither easy nor cheap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It costs min. $600 per game to take my family and stay one

Oct 7, 2014, 11:28 AM

This is why I don't mind 12 o'clock games for the family. We can make the drive up and back in one day. Later games are great for when it's a guy trip. We can split the drive home and not have to pay for a hotel room. A late game with the family almost takes hiring an event planner and a travel agent...

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

$10 tickets would fill up the place and bring in concession

Oct 6, 2014, 10:49 AM

dollars. An empty seat does neither. Live Nation, the world's biggest concert promoter has learned that, it's time for CU to learn the same. An empty seat doesn't do anyone any good.

They -DO- get sold for less, as the game gets closer

Oct 6, 2014, 11:45 AM

Almost every non-sellout game for the past 2-3 years, Clemson has announced discounted tickets for the upper corners...anywhere from $10 to $25. It annoys me because it makes it that much harder to sell my own tickets, but I can't begrudge them trying to sell every seat.

That being said, one of the major reasons I've held onto my four lower-deck seats instead of upping my request to 5 (which is what I need for the whole family to attend) and getting bumped into the upper deck, is that upper deck tickets are practically impossible to sell in the aftermarket except at the most premiere games. I remember tyring to sell upper deck seats and having a #### of a time doing it. About the only time I could sell them was to families who were just looking for a place where they could all sit together without paying a fortune. Never got anywhere near face value for them though.

There have always been unused seats in the upper decks...

Oct 6, 2014, 12:11 PM

even in the 80's-early 90's. Various reasons for this include visiting team returned tickets, student tix that the students don't want, quality of the opponent, TV and not in a big city to draw walk up's.

We have to remember that in the 80's and earlier most of our games were not on TV...if you wanted to see the game you had to show up or listen on the radio.

The biggest reason I hear for people not coming to games these days is it's easier/cheaper to just watch on TV.

The program makes more money this way.

Oct 6, 2014, 12:28 PM

I wish People understood how cheaply they could really see the game if they just showed up.

Top deck corner seats are awful. I have sat there on

Oct 6, 2014, 12:45 PM

many occasions when the ticket prices were heavily discounted. Part of the problem is you feel so far away from the action. You can't appreciate the crowd noise, music or band. Those tickets should always sell at a huge discount except for big time opponents.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

80,000 is the current capacity of the stadium...

Oct 6, 2014, 2:01 PM

When the Westzone was built, the stadium actually lost much of the general admission areas that were on either side of the locker rooms. That was how we had 87,000 for FSU in the early 90s. I was at that game by the way. I had a general admission ticket and literally couldn't get to an area where I could see the game.

Every game being on TV...

Oct 7, 2014, 11:41 AM

has to have bitten into the attendance numbers a bit. Why pay $600 to take the family for a weekend at the Valley to sit in the upper corner of the top deck...When you can watch the game front and center on your 60" HD flat screen...or so the thinking would go with many.

Back in the 80s there would be only couple of games per season plus the bowl game available on TV. Thus I'm sure the resulting tendency to bulge the average attendance numbers at the stadium.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The biggest cost for me (and probably most people) is

Oct 7, 2014, 11:46 AM

definitely not the tickets. I live in Charleston and took the family up on Saturday for the State game. $100+ for 1 night in hotel out near Greenville on 85, about $100 for gas, and probably another $100 for tailgating food, bottled water in the stadium, dinner after the game, lunch on the way home, etc, and that was just for my wife and I and our 2 year old. Add in getting up at dawn on Saturday and all of the driving time that i could spend doing other things too because i value that as well.

Point being, by the time i spend 300 bucks on travel and food, and devote my of a weekend, i don't really want cheap, crappy tickets. I'm more than willing to spend an extra 20-30 bucks per ticket for a better game experience.

The only market i see for those corner UD tickets is local fans that can day trip.

Oct 7, 2014, 11:48 AM

Keep in mind, one has to make higher donations to IPTAY to be eligible to buy season tickets in progressively better locations. The cost of the tickets is the same, but the total price becomes higher as the location improves.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic