Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
8 Team Playoff: Good or Bad ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

8 Team Playoff: Good or Bad ?

Feb 9, 2017, 8:15 AM

4 Teams seem just right ..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 8 Team Playoff: Good or Bad ?

Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 AM

depends if we are team 1-4 or 5-8.

Bad, too many post season games and weakens regular season***

Feb 9, 2017, 8:18 AM

Re: Bad, too many post season games and weakens regular season***

Feb 9, 2017, 8:55 AM

I agree with this but I also see the value in conference championships which is lacking now. Ohio St. no matter how good of a team should never have had the opportunity to pass Penn St. Eliminate the subjectivity and give me conference champions in the playoff. Also I think there is a big problem with teams having to play 3 playoff opponents in a row the last two years the championship has been affected by injuries. Playing smaller conference teams would reduce the risk.

ACC
SEC
PAC 12
Big 10
Big 12
AAC
Sunbelt vs USA
MW vs Mid American

If you go the 6 team model you have to play the first game after the championship week and give teams two weeks before the second playoff game to reduce the advantage of the bye(which is still subjective).

null

Bad....no need for it

Feb 9, 2017, 8:20 AM

1) 8 teams would equal Too many games for 18-21 yr olds
2) There will always be 1, 2, or 3 teams that are much better than others. No reason to bring 4 more in.
3) Demeans regular season and Conf Championships...

Yes, yes, and yes***

Feb 9, 2017, 11:45 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are you going to do with the 5 Conference Championship

Feb 9, 2017, 8:24 AM

games?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 9, 2017, 8:26 AM

It's not the NFL. CFP has done a pretty good job of getting the best 4 so far. Biggest thing they need to work in is getting the seeding right. Two years ago I think they were influenced by match ups and TV ratings. Oklahoma should not have jumped MSU.

Oklahoma didn't jump MSU...

Feb 9, 2017, 11:46 AM

It was the other way around, which made sense because OU didnt play a conference championship game

Funny how perspective can change opinions

Feb 9, 2017, 8:26 AM

We used to want eight; now four suits us.

Honestly, I've felt for a while that six would be fair. Look at the past couple years, and it seems the top two were obvious, and the next four were close together and about a step behind. Let 3-6 play each other a week before Christmas. No academic hardship; plenty recovery time. Most importantly, a major conference doesn't have an excuse. If you can't place a team in the top six, you don't deserve a shot at the title.

WL

Too much politics.

Feb 9, 2017, 8:49 AM

This year, three B1G teams - OSU, Michigan and Penn State - would have been the 3, 5 and 6th ranked teams.

How would that work out?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Too much politics.

Feb 9, 2017, 10:31 AM

The conferences as currently structured are the problem. They are too big for four and not big enough for six or eight. The only teams in the final four should be conference champs. With four "super conferences" of 16 to 18 teams each or so, or eight smaller conferences of 10 to 12, the playoffs would technically begin in the conference championships.
Either bring back the Southwest Conference and the Big East, etc. to get to eight, or dissolve the Big 12 into the other four Power Five.
No way to totally eliminate the politics, but minimizing it to setting the seedings will reduce their influence. Ohio State, obviously, did not deserve to be in the playoffs - even with the extra time to prepare, whereas Penn State played their way in the way it's meant to be in sports.

Re: 8 Team Playoff: Good or Bad ? 4 is fine

Feb 9, 2017, 8:28 AM

Its about excellence. The more teams the more debate about who got snubbed

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2017, 8:28 AM

The only 5-8 team during the CFP who deserved to play for the national championship was the TCU team that got screwed over for Ohio State. So don't think it's necessary to expand.....but....

There's definitely a way to make it work, and it will probably happen at some point, but I hate hate hate anything that makes college football more like the NFL. Soak up these twilight years while we have em, gents.

8 teams will not happen

Feb 9, 2017, 8:35 AM

Until the money justifies it. The TV rights was the only marginally better for 8 vs 4. Until it's close to double, it's not going to happen.

THIS ??????

Feb 9, 2017, 12:14 PM

Because this is the real
Deciding factor ...

I think it's important to protect the athletes from an 8 game playoff, when the time comes...

I read the CFP is not sponsored by NCAA and is actually a corporation... I fear an expansion of the playoff wouldn't be in the true spirit of competition ...https://www.google.com/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/bdavidridpath/2017/01/17/college-football-playoff-and-other-ncaa-revenues-is-an-expose-of-selfish-interest/?client=safari

Just sayin

This is football not figure skating

Feb 9, 2017, 8:38 AM

Opinions are for seeding not for deciding who is and isn't in the playoff. Configure the conferences so that there are either four "Super Conferences" with their championship games being the play-in, or configure them so that their are eight conferences and the champions are the eight teams.

8 is good in theory, but i don't think college teams should

Feb 9, 2017, 8:56 AM

play 16 games and none of the options for removing a game are extremely appealing. I don't think conference title games are going anywhere so the most likely option is to remove a non-conference game. That would leave schools with 9 conference games just 2 non-conference slots per year. I know a lot of people say "well just get rid of the annual cupcake game," but i don't think it's that simple.

Re: 8 is good in theory, but i don't think college teams should

Feb 9, 2017, 11:00 AM

Eliminate Conf Championships take 10 division winners and next 6, 1 from Group of 5. Play first round at home of 1-8 then next 4 at neutral or home. Then current format for semi and final games. If too many games cut 1 non conf reg season. I thInk those extra 12 games could be huge ratings and $. Share with Group if 5 or FCS depending on whose games get cut.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2017, 8:59 AM

Considering there has only been 1 semifinal game that's been competitive in the first 3 years, I don't see how you could make a case for 8 teams deserving a shot to be national champions.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Four***

Feb 9, 2017, 9:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

4 is the best. It guarantees the best 2 get in.

Feb 9, 2017, 9:09 AM

8 is a total overkill.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2017, 9:19 AM

I think the four team format is the best plan. The season is very long for the teams in the playoffs. To expand to eight would extend it further. On another note, the lesser bowls turned out to be very competitive and exciting. It was simply a great college football season. I for one can't wait for next year.

Feb 9, 2017, 9:24 AM

Bad, it weakens the playoffs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2017, 9:37 AM

And yet FCS, Div 2, and Div 3 Football have 24-32 team playoffs. And basketball, baseball, and soccer have more.

I think 16. That way one fluke lose doesn't knock us out.

Lol, are you nuts?

Feb 9, 2017, 11:48 AM

Absolutely not

Feb 9, 2017, 9:39 AM

My version would be 6 teams...unlike most, I'm not looking for the 6 "best" teams, I'm looking for the 6 who qualify...like is done in all other playoffs and all other sports...

The 5 Power Conf. Champions receive automatic bids and the highest ranked Non Power 5 Conference Champ gets the 6 spot...

Seed the 6 and play at the higher seeds home the first week after the Conf Champ games and the rest stays the same.

Conference championship games essentially become the first round...

Will it be the best 6 ... prolly not but will be the 6 that earned it and I like the notion of the little guy having a chance every year...now they essentially do not...little guy will prolly never win it all but they will upset some teams along the way...

This way, starting Aug 1 every team has a chance and knows what they have to do to make it in...only subjective part would be picking the non power 5 team and simply stated...not many people will really care that much about that!!!

4 is the best option...

Feb 9, 2017, 9:45 AM

But they will often miss on those teams as well. I may be the only one here who thinks this but the BIG10 is a sh*ty overrated conference who had no business being in the playoffs last season and there were talks of having 2 of those dingleberry teams in the top 4...Just imagine if there were an extension....There would have been close to 4 with OSU, MICH, Penn St, and Wisconsin....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

4 is plenty. 8 would be bad.***

Feb 9, 2017, 10:28 AM

BAD

Feb 9, 2017, 10:57 AM

PLEASE football Gods, don't let this happen

I say good. I would like to see eight teams make the playoff.***

Feb 9, 2017, 11:19 AM

Bad. Most Id be open to is 6 with first 2 getting byes, but

Feb 9, 2017, 11:22 AM

I think 4 is right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I like 8 if the extra round was in lieu of conference

Feb 9, 2017, 11:29 AM

championship games. That would allow the ACC and other leagues to scrap divisions and play more round robin through the regular season. Use the CCCG weekend for Round 1, with losers going into the bowl system for later in the month. 5 champs + 3 at-large.

I like 4 too, though. It has upped the meaningfulness of many games throughout the country unlike before, and that's been a nice benefit.

I'd also say that the big problem I had with the BCS was that while you normally had a clear top team in the mix, there was too much debate on a #2 and it began to seem arbitrary as to who it would be. With 4, you're definitely hitting on at least the top 2 teams that earned it through the season, and that's ultimately what we're after I believe.

Eventually, the money will far outpace the CCCG revenue, and that's when we'll see expansion. They won't add a 16th game for some teams, they'll cap it at 15 and this is the likely place for it to come from.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 team is working out pretty well for us

Feb 9, 2017, 12:00 PM

why mess with success?

Feb 9, 2017, 12:15 PM

not even a question

Good, eliminate conf championship, move to 8 playoff

Feb 9, 2017, 12:49 PM

It was proven that the Conf champ meant nothing in OSU's case; just ended up hurting our chances. we risked injury or loss, while they were resting. Testament to how much better we were then them.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic