Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
7 weeks til game. Can we talk RayRay?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

7 weeks til game. Can we talk RayRay?

Jul 16, 2016, 7:55 AM

We don't mention him a lot. To be fair, he actually had a good season considering he was a Freshman. I hope that another year under the belt being more familiar with the offense, hopefully game slowing down for him, that he'll be an even bigger contributor this year. Any thoughts, things you've seen as far as development goes, analysis, etc?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 7 weeks til game. Can we talk RayRay?

Jul 16, 2016, 8:07 AM

I think he will progress this year but next year will be his breakout year. Having Mike Williams back this year might hurt his playing time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 8:09 AM

He and Mike dont play the same position... Artavis will stay in front of him though.

WRU- part of the deal!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 8:16 AM

Not making excuses, but I wasn't sure if he and Mike played the same position. I know Ray was on the field the same time Scott was.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 10:35 AM

yeah- Cain is behind Mike

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 8:09 AM

He is by far the best kick returner we have....,,,him and feaster returning kicks could be a deadly combo...would like to see him get more jet sweeps on offense as well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2016, 8:10 AM

It doesn't matter who we have returning kicks. Nobody blocks on returns!

Fingers crossed that will be better this year.

Jul 16, 2016, 8:12 AM

Dabo addressed it and said would improve and when he says something he typically does it. We'll see soon enough.

Jul 16, 2016, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Re: 7 weeks til game. Can we talk RayRay? ]

Hopefully we will only have to return 2 or 3 KOs/game this year.

That cannot be said enough. If you watch our film on returns

Jul 16, 2016, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: 7 weeks til game. Can we talk RayRay? ]

, nobody on the other team is on the ground.

Jul 16, 2016, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: 7 weeks til game. Can we talk RayRay? ]

Based on last year Ray Ray stops too much on KOR. Artavis was much better IMO. Ray Ray needs to just learn to make a move and go he try's to be too shifty. He will have a great year at WR I believe he looked to be learning and improving last year but the injury hurt.

Cornel Powell in the Shrine Bowl

Jul 16, 2016, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: 7 weeks til game. Can we talk RayRay? ]

was a monster returner. Dominant.
I'll state the obvious that the talent and speed will be on another level altogether this year for CP; however, a few years back, I watched Todd Gurley in the Shrine Bowl and watched Powell in this years. I have to say Cornell dominated returns the way Gurley did the run game in general.
I see Cornell, RayRay and Feaster as important parts of the much needed improvement in our return game. Hit some people in the neck and face and block and we might see some major progress....I hope!
As for RayRay, I might be mistaken, but isn't his role very different from Scott's? Doesn't he play more of a hybrid back? Is that what Artavis is considered to be?
I agree with most of you that McCloud is set to pop. I do know the concern has been ball security. With a year of experience behind him and strength work this offseason, I believe he will be fundamentally solid. If so, he will be outstanding. He's a special and particular talent with a skill set that compliments the weapons we already have in place. He's gonna be dangerous!

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Re: Cornel Powell in the Shrine Bowl

Jul 16, 2016, 11:18 AM

Cornell will deff be a plus in the return game. Hopefully he gets to try it out this year but if not next year he is sure to shine. Dude is an amazing talent.

Agree

Jul 16, 2016, 2:42 PM

with the consensus. He'll make a jump this season, then break out next. Ball security and game speed adjustments will make all the difference. He's so illusive, but I feel like he made his jukes so late (thinking of that drive against OK, where he got the ball on the perimeter 2x, but couldn't make much of either opportunity). Once things slow down, he'll start making defenders look silly like he did in HS.

Re: Agree

Jul 16, 2016, 3:50 PM

Back to Ray Ray
I spoke to him at one of Dabo's camps this summer
I asked how his knee was feeling and he thanked me for asking he said it felt good and he was getting stronger
I told him I hoped he stayed healthy and hoped he would have a big year
He thanked me for the well wishes and said he would work for it
So to answer the original question I think if he stays healthy he will have a fine season
For his sake I hope so!

I think at worst he'll have a good season.

Jul 16, 2016, 4:12 PM

I do think he's going to break out but he's going to need to do it soon, our depth chart is going to be STACKED. Hopefully he starts shining at least towards end of season and then like others suggest, hope next year is amazing.

no...too soon -***

Jul 16, 2016, 5:30 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

shhhh...

Jul 16, 2016, 5:31 PM

shhhhh - no speak.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ray Ray's #1 issue is ball security. He put the ball on the ground

Jul 16, 2016, 5:46 PM

Several times last year, including 2 of the only times we put him in the backfield at RB. He is by far our best true kick returner (need to see Powell in person but im very hopeful), but coaches even said he struggled in practice. That plus the injury made it a frustrating year for #34 but i really expect that when turns it on, hell be our Most Improved player

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Coaches even put in a package with him at running back

Jul 16, 2016, 5:52 PM

I remember scott/elliott bringing it out 3 times at least, two of which he fumbled (GT, Cuse) and we turned it over, the other was the play immediately following the fake punt vs OU that got 8 or 9 yards

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic