Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
68 year ago today,on July the 4th, my father in law, a 5'9",
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1
   | View Original Thread |

68 year ago today,on July the 4th, my father in law, a 5'9",

Jul 4, 2012, 10:13 PM

135lb. soldier was wounded twice on the same day in or around St.Lo. He had been France for about three weeks. Early in the day, he was hit with shrapnel from a bomb that killed a soldier he had been huddled up with in a bomb crater. He had just run out when the bomb exploded, injuring him and killing the other soldier. Later that same day he was attempting to cross a field and a German machine gunner was firing shots at him as he ran. He would run a few feet and dive. The German kept shooting behind him, so he decided to make it to the woods for cover. He was shot through the left arm with a 7MM round and nearly bled to death before coming across some American soldiers who got him to a hospital where he sat out the Battle of the Buldge. He told me his Captain came to his ward at that time and gave the men there three bullets and their rifles and told them if the Germans got that far, it was fight to the last man. Luckily for him and us, the Germans were stopped by the efforts of thousands of young men just like him.

Regretfully, after a recent bout with a severe stroke, he passed away last week. If you have seen the movie,"Saving Private Ryan", my father in law lived a life just like Private Ryan. He was one of our Great American Heroes and will be sorely missed.

A Ware Shoals native, William Leon Dodson,Jr. leaves behind a wife of 60 plus years, three children who are graduates of the University of South Carolina or Clemson University, and seven grand children.The eldest is a Clemson graduate and soon to be graduate of the University of Michigan Architectural grad school. The second eldest is a University of South Carolina grad and the rest of the grandchildren are well on their way.

I hope y'all don't mind, but I just wanted to give him this tribute for his service to our country and a life well lived.

Bryan Black, Easley, South Carolina

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 1
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic