Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So I remember in school I was taught that “room temperature” was 78°.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

So I remember in school I was taught that “room temperature” was 78°.

Apr 17, 2020, 12:51 PM

I started thinking about what that meant just a few minutes ago. Hit the Googler and found out that “room temperature” is now a range instead of a set number. Interestingly enough, 78° is still considered part of that range. My question is, what human being would set their thermostat to 78° and consider that comfortable? Does that really happen?
I could see it back in the day when there was no air conditioning and people were lucky to have an attic fan. 78° may have been comfortable compared to outside temps. But these days, no way.

We keep our Tstat at 72° in the summer and 69° in the winter. Sometimes we vary a little but that’s about our standard. What y’all keep your Tstat at?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

62 in the winter, 75 in the summer***

Apr 17, 2020, 12:55 PM

Savin that money.

Apr 17, 2020, 12:56 PM

I could probably do the 62 if not for the wife and kids. But that 75 in the summer would have me in a panic attack.

I just got a new unit installed

Apr 17, 2020, 1:22 PM

to replace a 25+ year old unit. My next step is to get some insulation blown in the attic and installed in the crawlspace. Windows and doors are new, so are fine.

Keeping it on 75 is (was) the only way to keep the power bill under $350-400 in July and August.

Try programming thermostat 72-73 10PM to 6AM & 75 otherwise

Apr 17, 2020, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Savin that money. ]

Cooler temps help me sleep.

I do 64 in winter.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is 63 in the house right now and glorious.

Apr 17, 2020, 12:59 PM

It I weren't working I'd be up in the chair under my blank and having a glorious nap.

In the summer when I am not here I let it get up to 77. Trying to sleep at 77 would be pure misery. Thus I usually tap it down to 75 some time in the evening then 73 for sleeping.

I have wanted to upgrade the thermostat to one that will switch between heat and cool on automatically. However that feature would have kicked the heat on a few days recently a thus cost me money.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

77°?!?!?! Y’all are making me feel spoiled.

Apr 17, 2020, 1:01 PM

Guess I need to toughen myself up a little.

Look man, if power were for free that number would be lower.

Apr 17, 2020, 1:09 PM

77 kinda sucks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My house is at 64 in summer

Apr 17, 2020, 3:11 PM [ in reply to It is 63 in the house right now and glorious. ]

and 64 in winter. I turn it up to 68 every day when I leave for work and wifee puts it back down to 64 as soon as she gets home from work. Me and the skinny dog freeze, the fat dog likes it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I set thermostat to 69 and leave heat/cool on auto.

Apr 17, 2020, 1:05 PM

Nice.

I should introduce you to Mrs. Tig

Apr 17, 2020, 1:06 PM

so she can explain how 78° should be the coolest the house gets in the summer. Celebrated 31 years on Wednesday, and I still don't understand. Of course, this would be her standard lounging-about-the-house attire in the winter...

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm about 69 all yr round***

Apr 17, 2020, 1:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice***

Apr 17, 2020, 1:22 PM

I always learned that 72 was room temp

Apr 17, 2020, 1:26 PM

we keep at 68 at night 72 during the day in the winter and 72 at night 78 during the day in summer
BUT
we have very good ceiling fans in every room and a solar attic vent fan that keeps the attic from heating up in the summer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Room temperature is 72, in my book.

Apr 17, 2020, 1:32 PM

Winter is 70 in the day, 68 at night (heat on)
Summer is 75 during the day, 71 at night (AC on)

Never touch my thermostat(s). They switch from AC to heat automatically.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like DaddyAdidas was your teacher.

Apr 17, 2020, 3:03 PM

My old man hasn't changed a bit.

Last July, the upstairs AC unit went out. The downstairs unit just couldn't keep up. The house was hot as crap. But he worked all of the time, so he didn't care. All it took was a phone call to get it fixed...

My poor step mom was stuck at home all day for weeks... She would go hang out in the yard to cool off (lol).

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Whats a thermostat?***

Apr 17, 2020, 3:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I prefer fresh air like now and it's 68 in here..........

Apr 17, 2020, 3:21 PM

with windows open and ceiling fans going.

As for as setting a temp it's 65 in the winter and 70 in the summer. I guess you can tell I don't like heat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fresh air is good but the only problem is...

Apr 17, 2020, 3:51 PM

When the temps are tolerable, pollen is atrocious. We try to get a little open window time in everyday, except during the coldest of winter and hottest of summer.

Trust me I know. It's a Catch-22. ******

Apr 17, 2020, 3:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic