Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
5 Most Disliked Administrators in Clemson History
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

5 Most Disliked Administrators in Clemson History

Feb 23, 2013, 11:07 AM

1) Max Lennon
2) Bobby Robinson
3) TDP
4) JB
5) Bill Achley

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I liked Dr Atchley

Feb 23, 2013, 11:12 AM

Mainly because he would stop in and eat breakfast in Harcombe about twice a month. He sat at our table a couple of times and asked us how it was going.
I know he didn't handle the AD the way we would have liked but he was a pro student president.

Now Bobby Robinson was a twerp

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: 5 Most Disliked Administrators in Clemson History

Feb 23, 2013, 11:16 AM

Mr. Atchley was good people - Deano Curris and Max Lennon were disasters. If Barker allows Clemson to stay welded to the ACC as it goes down, his legacy will suffer also.

Feb 23, 2013, 11:46 AM

Do you think Barker can just up and leave the ACC on his own? What conference would Clemson join?? Has he kept Clemson in the ACC inpite of offers to join other conferences.? If he has, please let us know the facts.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2013, 9:22 PM

He was credited with making the ND deal happen, which makes the ACC "Big East 2.0", and he did not vote against the $50 million exit fee. This gives the appearance that he is more interested in being important to Swofford/ACC/Tobacco Road than looking out for Clemson's best interests.

Sensationalists don't like TDP

Feb 23, 2013, 11:18 AM

People who understand big picture, can appreciate what he did here. Obviously he has some flaws, but all of our facilities improved, and we are sitting on enough cash to give our Athletic Dept. the ability to move quick on projects.

Re: Sensationalists don't like TDP

Feb 23, 2013, 11:22 AM

Good points. I bumped into TDP once over at McFadden and he couldnt have been nicer to me even though he had never met me. Was much more open and approachable than I ever imagined

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2013, 11:28 AM

He did some good things, but most of our programs have gone down, we won fewer championships under his tenure and he and Barker are responsible for the Bowden debacle. They wasted $4 million to extend his contract, then fire him.

Feb 23, 2013, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Sensationalists don't like TDP ]

TDP is approachable and nice just like 99 percent of CU employees. Being approachable and bei

Feb 23, 2013, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Sensationalists don't like TDP ]

TDP was terrible in terms of running successful athletic programs. Under his watch almost all of our olympic programs are down, baseball went down, football was down until just recently, basketball i wont hold against him for obvious reasons.

That being said those projects were going to get done no matter who came in as AD. If you remember he was tge one who had to be talked into doing them. TB had to beg him for years.

If you think TDP was good then DRad is going to make you cream your pants.

TDP

Feb 23, 2013, 11:31 AM

Agree!

Plus Barker responsible for the Bridge program, so he can develop us as Harvard of the south, and those of you who are in it, can pay much more than you should to attend Tri-County TEC.

Re: Sensationalists don't like TDP- baseball

Feb 23, 2013, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Sensationalists don't like TDP ]

how much of that is TDP and how much is the great and all knowing Jack. I dont think he should get the pass he does on baseball. Not advocating firing him but most here act like he is still the A plus coach now which he once was. recent years he has been more like a C at best

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I honestly feel he ran into the same issues Bobby Bowden

Feb 23, 2013, 11:44 AM

did only Jack is still young enough to fix them. Bobby had great assistants that where also a great recruiting staff. Sooner or later he missed on a hire. Jeff Bowden and others. and he never recovered.

If you think of the Jack Legget coaching tree its amazing.

Sully at Florida
Corbin at Vandy
The guy at ole miss can remember his name or if he is still there.
Probably some others

I think he missed on Pepicelli (sp) as a recruiter but with coach Lecroy coming on we are back to recruiting top 10 classes. Ranked #5 last year. So I believe we are going to be back sooner than later.

Now if you want to talk clutch coaching in big games then that is a different conversation entirely ;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Feb 23, 2013, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Sensationalists don't like TDP ]

I would argue that the Olympic Sports aren't as bad as people think. Obviously we aren't as committed to them, but most of them achieved some very good success while he was here. As far as Olympic sports:

Women's Track - has had great success with conference titles and national rankings
Rowing - had some great success and a National Title in one event
Men's Soccer - made a Final Four and Sweet 16. It's not on TDP that Adair had his incident 2 years after the Sweet 16 (he wasn't on the chopping block quite yet). That cost us another year of down play.
Volleyball - won an ACC title a couple of years ago
Women's Tennis - always in the Sweet 16

women's soccer - needs help
women's bball - that went downhill
men's tennis - don't know enough to judge

In history? no...the student body walked out several times

Feb 23, 2013, 11:35 AM

back in the old days because of discipline issues and campus conditions under some Presidents, and a couple of them had to resign. I know they also protested until the mess hall director (Mr Schilletter) was fired. And the cadets back then had guns.

Modern day administrators have been good compared to when the cadets were here. Ask an old timer, or read up on your Clemson history.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2013, 11:46 AM

1) Max Lennon
2) Max Lennon
3) Max Lennon
4) Max Lennon
5) Max Lennon

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Feb 23, 2013, 12:28 PM

Amen. Most of the Jack Wagon's on this board wouldn't know a good administrator if he/she bit them in the $ss

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree w/ you 110%... point***

Feb 23, 2013, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: 5 Most Disliked Administrators in Clemson History ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, sadly his signature is on my diploma ...

Feb 23, 2013, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Re: 5 Most Disliked Administrators in Clemson History ]

... oh well, you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friend's nose (and who signs your diploma).

why would TDP be on there? I'm not saying he belongs at

Feb 23, 2013, 11:57 AM

a favorite or anything, but there is really nothing controversial to point to that puts him among the others you listed.

If anything he helped usher in a revitalization of the football program.

Re: why would TDP be on there? I'm not saying he belongs at

Feb 23, 2013, 12:16 PM

Let's see, he wasted $4 mil to keep/fire Bowden. Tickets prices up, concession prices up, seat equity plan, most programs are down, fewer championships, shut down swimming, agreed to Dabo's huge pay raise, before Dabo now has somewhat proven himself, could not keep OP, ..................etc...........

Would Ma & Pa Bishop qualify as administrators of pain?***

Feb 23, 2013, 12:14 PM

You got that right

Feb 23, 2013, 1:09 PM

Chemistry under Pa was brutal

Both of them and J R Salley. Also throw in J V Reel.***

Feb 23, 2013, 10:27 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoever Hired Hatfield ... Case Closed***

Feb 23, 2013, 12:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bobby Robinson is so far ahead of the others that it

Feb 23, 2013, 1:14 PM

does not matter.

Feb 23, 2013, 1:22 PM

Can I classify a meter maid as an administrator?

Disliked by whom? Atchley was very popular with students

Feb 23, 2013, 2:56 PM

when I was a student .... And from everything can I can tell, so is Barker today.

Disliked by football fans who never set foot in a college classroom? Yep - Atchley and Barker would be near the top of the list.

Max Lennon was a truly remarkable administrator. He was able to bring everyone together - students, alumni, faculty and football fans otherwise unaffiliated with Clemson - in hating his guts...

Feb 23, 2013, 10:16 PM

1) Max Lennon
2) Max Lennon
3) Max Lennon
4) Max Lennon
5) Bobby Robinson

Max Lennon, Nick Lomax, & anyone who opposed Danny

Feb 23, 2013, 10:25 PM

Ford