Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Tommy Bowden says ACC has something to prove
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 68
| visibility 1

FB Update: Tommy Bowden says ACC has something to prove

Aug 22, 2016, 10:38 AM

Tommy Bowden says ACC has something to prove

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

soooooo glad to have Dabo at the helm now.***

Aug 22, 2016, 10:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I walked out of the Maryland game swearing

Aug 22, 2016, 12:06 PM

I would not go to another Tommy Bowden coached game.

That being said I think we should never forget he recommended Dabo to take over as Interim Head Coach. With all his faults he did some good things for Clemson. Just my two cents!

Re: I walked out of the Maryland game swearing

Aug 22, 2016, 11:55 PM

Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2016, 2:21 AM

Awful Zen like perspective DuGa!

Can you repeat it? I wasn't listening.

Just my two cents.

Aug 23, 2016, 8:30 AM

TB did do some good things, and he took over a program that seemed to be adrift after Hatfield bled the talent pool dry and Tommy West struggled to overcome it. That said, after a few years, he (TB) seemed very complacent and unwilling to get the things done to fix shortcomings, such as making obviously needed position and co-ordinator coaching changes. His recommendation of Dabo for the HC job was a very good decision and his greatest legacy contribution, IMO. However,many of his hires and failures to make staff changes were very poor decisions that ultimately cost us wins, wasted time and cost him his job. Glad we now have Dabo. He is an exponentially better coach than TB, and the results show it, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I felt that way after the UNC Homecoming Debacle in 2001

Aug 24, 2016, 9:49 AM [ in reply to I walked out of the Maryland game swearing ]

Two things became obvious early in that game. One, UNC's defensive coaches had broken our offensive signal code, and two, the headlinesman was allowing Julius Peppers to line up offside every time he lined up outside(sometimes his head was even with our offense linesmen's shoulders. He did nothing about either. He should have started sending in plays by substitution and taken a fifteen yarder to make a point of what they were allowing Peppers. The next week at GT he was called for it three times in the first quarter(after O'Leary complained) and that put a stop to that cr-p and UNC lost.

I gotta be honest here....

Aug 22, 2016, 10:51 AM

I really don't give two chits what Tommy Bowden has to say about anything.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I gotta be honest here....

Aug 22, 2016, 10:59 AM

There is a very good reason he hasn't landed another coaching job.

Aug 22, 2016, 5:21 PM

The other reason is that he was only a Head Coach at Tulane for 2 season as a First time ever HC. And after 9 years at clemson as HC, he never could put it all together at Clemson with the fan base and the administration behind him. His undefeated season at Tulane was bc of (everybody knows this) Rich Rodriguez spread offense success at Tulane. How he became HC at Clemson from a Head Coaching search, the answer is far beyond me for that answer, bc I don't have a clue!!! I believe that him being Bobby Bowden's son is what helped him to get the job at Clemson, with the hope that Son follows in father foot steps of success!!! Because honestly, I can't think of another reason for why our administration would take that risk. He did help in getting our administration to take a long look at our failing facilities and talked them into up grading, I thank him for that and Dabo Swinney. But we all know that Dabo was a diamond in the rough that gave everything he had to give when called on!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2016, 8:43 AM

I certainly think being BB's son was a huge reason, and the quick success at Tulane helped seal the deal. Had we only known it was Rich Rod all along, he might have been the guy, who knows where we would be now (doubtful as good as now with Dabo and staff)). All water under the bridge, and I am enjoying the view into our very bright future.

Aug 23, 2016, 9:27 AM

Yes sir, nobody can deny that TB had a place in all the good that we're enjoying now at and with Clemson success. I just don't understand why it took 9 years for someone at the Top to realize that TB had done all he could do after his first 4 years.

Aug 23, 2016, 4:10 PM

So well said! +1 TB had done all he could do, or maybe all he was willing to do, for us. He took us a ways, but compared to now it seems that it was not such a long way. Glad for the things he did well, but so glad we moved on in such a wonderful way. TB still struggling to be relevant.

Clemson has nothing to prove now that Bowden is gone. The

Aug 22, 2016, 11:00 AM [ in reply to I gotta be honest here.... ]

"soft" of our program that existed under his reign is gone.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2016, 11:28 AM [ in reply to I gotta be honest here.... ]

Good TB...he made good money at Clemson...and been burning bridges ever sense. That 2-5 comment was BS.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't care so much that you read that and posted on it

Aug 22, 2016, 11:56 AM [ in reply to I gotta be honest here.... ]

That's a lot of not caring.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson has proven itself thoroughly

Aug 22, 2016, 10:52 AM

since Tommy left. Tommy had something to prove. Fail.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC has some ground to make up...

Aug 22, 2016, 10:53 AM

Luckily, Clemson is finally recovered from what we refer to as the "Bowden Years".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy Bowden did 4 really great things for Clemson...

Aug 22, 2016, 10:56 AM

1. He started the west endzone project
2. He hired Dabo
3. He recommended Dabo as his successor
4. He left town

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

5. 63-17***

Aug 22, 2016, 12:26 PM

Re: 5. 63-17***

Aug 22, 2016, 3:13 PM

Well there is that too, but I give Charlie Whitehurst most of the credit.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 5. 63-17***

Aug 22, 2016, 5:11 PM

> Well there is that too, but I give Charlie Whitehurst
> most of the credit.

Give Lou Holtz his share of the credit , too .

Taught Les Miles how to eat grass?

Aug 22, 2016, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Tommy Bowden did 4 really great things for Clemson... ]

:)

I think he does stuff like this to intentionally rattle our

Aug 22, 2016, 10:56 AM

cage. Although he is technically correct, he could also have said something about Clemson wins over Georgia, LSU, and Auburn (twice) during that same time span.

How does anything he said rattle anyone's cage?

Aug 22, 2016, 11:58 AM

He's exactly right: the ACC needs to improve. Clemson obviously didn't help much by losing to USCjr. 5 years in a row, even if it did win other games OOC.

Re: FB Update: Tommy Bowden says ACC has something to prove

Aug 22, 2016, 10:58 AM

Tommy Bowden can go suck on a big ole dingus

Aug 22, 2016, 11:01 AM

Was this a little shot at Dabo maybe for letting the five-peat happen? Maybe he was secretly bragging on how he rarely lost to the chickens.
Ya know Tommy owned the chickens but would let Maryland and Wake beat us. Our teams we too soft under his regime.

Aug 22, 2016, 11:25 AM

You beat me to it.

Aug 23, 2016, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Tommy Bowden says ACC has something to prove ]

If TB had of been at Clemson during the best years of Spurrier's success at coot U, he would have been beat by Spurrier also. If we remember, Dabo beat Spurrier that one time before Spurrier had his best team at usuc ready for it's run of success!!!

Aug 22, 2016, 11:22 AM

Send him a message and let him know what you think. I did!
http://tommybowden.com/contact/

Just sent a message to Tommy about fair & balanced

Aug 22, 2016, 11:48 AM

reporting. Will be anxious to see if I get a response - will report if I do.

Does ANYONE really care what Tommy Bowden says or thinks!?!?

Aug 22, 2016, 11:32 AM

Talk about someone who has something to prove....sheesh !!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Does ANYONE really care what Tommy Bowden says or thinks!?!?

Aug 22, 2016, 11:36 AM

Dont know how he keeps the gig. He is awful on tv. And I dont care what he thinks

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Laughable, has he been watching lately? We have

Aug 22, 2016, 11:38 AM

dominated our cross-conference rivalry games the last 2 years running. Just can't help but think that this "good, Christian man" is still butthurt when he makes comments like this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Did you even read what he said?***

Aug 22, 2016, 11:58 AM

Re: Yes I did. And I take issue with it. Is he implying

Aug 22, 2016, 12:47 PM

that coot football began in 2009 and Clemson stopped playing football in 2009?

He's still butthurt and it shows.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Um, no

Aug 22, 2016, 12:49 PM

What he said was that the ACC has something to prove because of recent struggles against non-conference opponents. Are you denying that? Or are you saying that the ACC has been a great football conference lately? It's certainly gotten better, but I don't think many people would say that it has nothing to prove.

Re: Um, yes. ACC in CFCG 2 of last 3 years.

Aug 22, 2016, 12:54 PM

Mic drop.

Facts are facts. Leave it alone.

Screw Calford.

So you completely missed the point of what he said

Aug 22, 2016, 12:57 PM

I swear, some of y'all would come on here complaining if Tommy Bowden said Clemson's main color was orange.

Re: No. I got what he said loud and clear. You just don't

Aug 22, 2016, 12:59 PM

want to admit you're wrong.

Screw Calford.

This is totally ridiculous, but here's the actual quote:

Aug 22, 2016, 1:06 PM

"The ACC might be the one conference of the Power 5 conferences that can gain the most in the first two weeks of the college football season. Clemson and Florida State have proven over the last few years that they are as good as any team in America.

The reason that some in the media have not given the ACC the respect they deserve is because of the overall strength of the conference. This lack of respect mostly comes from the fact that the rest of the ACC has not been successful versus Power 5 non-conference opponents.

Clemson (2-5) and Georgia Tech (1-6) have combined for 3 wins in 7 years versus their natural Power 5 rivals South Carolina and Georgia. Florida State is 5-2 versus their rival Florida in the last 7 years. But success in the first two weeks versus some strong Power 5 conference teams could re-establish some much needed credibility with the national media.

Look at these key games in the ACC in the first two weeks.

Week One

Florida State vs. Ole Miss

North Carolina vs. Georgia

Clemson vs. Auburn

Week Two

Virginia vs. Oregon

Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee

Pittsburgh vs. Penn State

Clemson and Florida State are probably the only 2 ACC teams that will be favored in these 6 games. But with something to prove…a strong showing in the remaining 4 games by the ACC could go a long way for some much needed love from the national media."

Crump took this part out, and for some reason, you got offended by it:

"The reason that some in the media have not given the ACC the respect they deserve is because of the overall strength of the conference. This lack of respect mostly comes from the fact that the rest of the ACC has not been successful versus Power 5 non-conference opponents.

Clemson (2-5) and Georgia Tech (1-6) have combined for 3 wins in 7 years versus their natural Power 5 rivals South Carolina and Georgia. Florida State is 5-2 versus their rival Florida in the last 7 years. But success in the first two weeks versus some strong Power 5 conference teams could re-establish some much needed credibility with the national media."

Now, I don't see how noting that is offensive, or wrong, at all. Just pointing out that Clemson didn't do a great job against its rival for 5 years doesn't imply that they couldn't win any other games. But it probably didn't help the conference much when we couldn't beat those guys while being the cream of the crop in the ACC. And Crump didn't help Bowden out with this bunch by not quoting what Bowden said about Clemson being one of the best.

Re: If you're getting your panties in a twist because

Aug 22, 2016, 1:19 PM

Crump redacted something, then lowered have mercy on your soul.

But in all seriousness, he took a subtle jab at Dabo and it's no secret that he's done that on multiple occasions.

We've held up our end of the bargain. We have 3 ranked teams in the Atlantic. The evidence points to the contrary of what Bowden says.

Screw Calford.

Because I'm the one who said something was "laughable"

Aug 22, 2016, 1:44 PM

Nothing Bowden said there was wrong. Get a thicker skin and quit constantly looking for slights against Clemson.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

Instead of the last 7 years how about the last 9 years?

Aug 22, 2016, 12:20 PM

4 to 5. Or the last 20 years? 12 to 8. Funny thing about stats and how you can use them.

If he did the last 3 years we would be 2-1.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

So the ACC doesn't have anything to prove?

Aug 22, 2016, 12:47 PM

Because the point he was making wasn't that Clemson is bad, it was that the ACC, as a whole, needs to improve its play against other conferences. GT and Clemson could do a lot to help with that by beating their rivals, though. And I think he just included the last 7 years because they would encompass streaks by both teams.

I think the point of Clemson is belabored here

Aug 22, 2016, 12:57 PM

Wins over Auburn 2X, LSU, UGA, Oklahoma 2X, Ohio State, USuC 2X says Clemson is winning its out of conference schedule and other games against Power 5.

Re: ^^^^This, plus ACC in 2 of last 3 CFC games***

Aug 22, 2016, 12:58 PM

Screw Calford.

So you're saying the ACC does get lots of respect?

Aug 22, 2016, 1:06 PM

The ACC has nothing to prove?

Sure. But can you tell me, by the facts, not perception what

Aug 22, 2016, 1:16 PM

each conference's record is against Power 5 over the last 5 years? That should help in weighing if what he is saying is true.

So there's no reason the ACC doesn't get much respect?

Aug 22, 2016, 1:43 PM

Or do you think some of the things he mentioned contribute to the perception that the ACC isn't a great conference just yet? His post is about the perception of the ACC, and he offered some reasons why people see the ACC that way. He also said Clemson and FSU were as good as anybody, and talked about how the games early in the season could really improve the perception of the conference. But all the thin-skins around here managed to think he was criticizing Clemson.

So what tommy is saying is that the ACC is 2 just plays away

Aug 22, 2016, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Instead of the last 7 years how about the last 9 years? ]

Amazing that was his mantra while he was here.

Aug 22, 2016, 1:17 PM

While technically correct with some of his statements, he seems to shed a negative light on his old employer. The apple must have not fallen far from the tree as daddy Bobby doesn't know the meaning of graciousness either.

He could opt for the high road.

Aug 22, 2016, 1:28 PM

Absolutely spot on. And it's not the first time he's landed a subtle jab.

Screw Calford.

Read the whole blog post

Aug 22, 2016, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Tommy Bowden says ACC has something to prove ]

He has nice things to say about Clemson.

Re: Read the whole blog post

Aug 22, 2016, 3:47 PM

Some people just let their ultra thin skin get in the way of seeing anything but slights to Clemson when they read anything written by TB. It isn't just TB, either. They are mighty thin skinned about lots of things written here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regardless of what Tommy said or didn't say

Aug 22, 2016, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Read the whole blog post ]

I always thought Tommy Bowden was more about Tommy Bowden , than Tommy was about Clemson .

It's like he's just now figuring this out?***

Aug 22, 2016, 1:17 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2016, 1:39 PM

I still want to choke him for pulling Meriwether out of the '06 coot game

So does she!!

Aug 22, 2016, 2:41 PM

nfm

Tommy has done some great things at Clemson

Aug 22, 2016, 3:20 PM

until his last few years. He only lost twice to South Carolina in 9 years. He beat a #3 FSU team and ended their winning streak against us. He hired Dabo and even recommend him to replace him. I'm not saying I agree with his comments, but the ACC still struggles against the other conferences in opening week (except for us) Tommy couldn't take us further so he stepped aside for someone who could.

He was fired.

Aug 22, 2016, 3:49 PM

THE END

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy, I thought Clemson had

Aug 22, 2016, 4:40 PM

Something to prove against BC in 07, at VT in 06, at WF in 05, at A&M in 04, at......well, you get the idea. Please give me another 4, 5, or 6 loss season. Geez.

I'm not worried about ACC or it's reputation!

Re: Tommy, I thought Clemson had

Aug 22, 2016, 4:49 PM

Stupidest coaching mistake of all time: pulling Merriweather out against USCjr. in 2006, inserting an injured James Davis in his place.

Typical Bowden, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Then he went on to lose the bowl game to KY....freaking KY....

Screw Calford.

be quiet tb....u had your chance but u failed***

Aug 22, 2016, 7:47 PM

Look up Arrogant in the dictionary and there is a pic of TB***

Aug 22, 2016, 10:07 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

His picture is beside fool too.

Aug 23, 2016, 8:40 AM

Arrogant for no apparent reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy has quite a list of proven accomplishments.

Aug 23, 2016, 8:39 AM

He proved he isn't a coach now he's proving he ain't worth a chit with a mike in his face too.

Tommy is forever the Kyle Petty of college football coaching !

Aug 24, 2016, 8:19 AM

Having said that I respect him as a person. Wish he would have been a little more proactive earlier in his career.

Aug 24, 2016, 9:57 AM

I wish people would stop putting a microphone in front of this man's mouth.

Replies: 68
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic