Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We were physically overmatched tonight
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

We were physically overmatched tonight

Dec 2, 2019, 11:16 PM

across the board.

Dawes is going to be a good player but he had no chance stopping a physical PG in Carr who went to the rack at will. Carr wont be the last one he sees.

Mack's inability to create his own shot was on display tonight. He was invisible.

Newman pressed and played sloppy. He couldn't stop Carr either, and their wings torched us from 3.

We all knew Simms would struggle defensively against quality bigs. That isn'y changing. He's not a 5 defensively.

Look, we're shorthanded. But the guys we're getting back are not impact guys. They'll certainly help our depth. But Trapp is limited as a PG. We know that. Hunter is a freshman. He's going to struggle a lot. Baehre adds length, but he's not physical and has not played in almost 2 years.

I'm still where I was. It's going to be a long year. We have some young talent, but young talent is up and down. The guy with the most upside we have is Khavon Moore, but he's a freshman. And still raw.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our basketball program is in sad shape, and in need of

Dec 2, 2019, 11:21 PM

drastic change. The sad and frustrating part is that the powers that be seem to be perfectly fine with it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Our basketball program is in sad shape, and in need of

Dec 2, 2019, 11:24 PM

Can't say you are wrong here! It's true. Maybe if nobody shows up at the games Dan will get the memo

Dec 2, 2019, 11:26 PM

No one shows up now if it isnt a big conf game. And never has but it is dreadful recently

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2019, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Our basketball program is in sad shape, and in need of ]

Can't say you are wrong here! It's true. Maybe if nobody shows up at the games Dan will get the memo

Re: We were physically overmatched tonight

Dec 2, 2019, 11:22 PM

Brad's lack of offensive scheme is what will soon this team. Did you see their faces tonight. They looked confused and unsure. Brad is the Muschamp of basketball. He knows defense but God forbid he hasn't adapted to the 21st century offense. The team we played tonight looked fundamentally sound on offense. Using back door screens, running around screens.

Dec 2, 2019, 11:24 PM

striperfan said:

across the board.

Dawes is going to be a good player but he had no chance stopping a physical PG in Carr who went to the rack at will. Carr wont be the last one he sees.

Mack's inability to create his own shot was on display tonight. He was invisible.

Newman pressed and played sloppy. He couldn't stop Carr either, and their wings torched us from 3.

We all knew Simms would struggle defensively against quality bigs. That isn'y changing. He's not a 5 defensively.

Look, we're shorthanded. But the guys we're getting back are not impact guys. They'll certainly help our depth. But Trapp is limited as a PG. We know that. Hunter is a freshman. He's going to struggle a lot. Baehre adds length, but he's not physical and has not played in almost 2 years.

I'm still where I was. It's going to be a long year. We have some young talent, but young talent is up and down. The guy with the most upside we have is Khavon Moore, but he's a freshman. And still raw.

Great points. Moore and Tyson only ones showed potential. We need another good guard and a good big guy to compliment Simms. I think 12 or 13 wins may be the ceiling for this team.
Brad will be back probably because he will be the all time winningest coach, and two good recruits coming in.

We probably wont be where we're capable

Dec 2, 2019, 11:35 PM

of being as a team until February. By then, Baehre and Trapp should have shaken off the rust and be consistently contributing, and the 4 freshmen will have endured the trial by fire in the league they'll have to experience.

I really expect as the season progresses and our depth improves hope to see us press and try to run more. We have to. Young teams are normally not good in the half court, and that's pretty evident right now. Their defense shut us down tonight. To compete we'll have to create some easy shots.

Thing is, will Brad do that? It's not his style, but I dont see an option. Our depth really will be our biggest strength once everyone is back. For us to really compete, the sum will have to overcome the weaknesses of the individual parts. Many of those weaknesses were exposed tonight

Re: We probably wont be where we're capable

Dec 2, 2019, 11:42 PM

striperfan said:

of being as a team until February. By then, Baehre and Trapp should have shaken off the rust and be consistently contributing, and the 4 freshmen will have endured the trial by fire in the league they'll have to experience.

I really expect as the season progresses and our depth improves hope to see us press and try to run more. We have to. Young teams are normally not good in the half court, and that's pretty evident right now. Their defense shut us down tonight. To compete we'll have to create some easy shots.

Thing is, will Brad do that? It's not his style, but I dont see an option. Our depth really will be our biggest strength once everyone is back. For us to really compete, the sum will have to overcome the weaknesses of the individual parts. Many of those weaknesses were exposed tonight

If Brad fails to do that he deserves to get let go. We do really need to press a great deal. Can you imagine Moore and Baehre with their length. They would be hard to deal with.

Mack, Newman, and Trapp as well

Dec 2, 2019, 11:55 PM

Tonight was bad. We're banged up, but the starting 5 other than Moore really didnt give us a chance. They couldn't get shots. You have to do something to get some easier buckets. Press, trap, pressure for 40 minutes. Doesn't have to be full court for 40 minutes. Athletically, this should be Brad's most gifted team. It's honestly built more like an OP team when all the pieces are back

Re: Mack, Newman, and Trapp as well

Dec 3, 2019, 12:28 AM

Exactly how are you going to press with a depleted bench? Use this year to get to know the players and watch them develop into hopefully a dangerous team by February 2021. We knew this roster didn’t stand a chance before the World Games but have let that create unrealistic expectations.

I said once we get the people back

Dec 3, 2019, 7:02 AM

That's probably January at some point. Hunter and Baehre hopefully back Sunday. Trapp by January.

Until then, it's going to be a struggle to get shots against good defensive teams. FSU Sunday could be ugly again

Dec 2, 2019, 11:32 PM

You've pretty much nailed the situation. Also, Hunter Tyson hasn't proved to be the shooter many thought to this point. Prior to this game was shooting .300 from the 3 pt line and .385 overall. Simms was .190 from the arc and .389 overall. Not good stats for front court players.

Message was edited by: BerlinSPY73®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Dec 3, 2019, 12:06 AM

I think we all expected this since last year, but the University gold and better-than-expected start got our hopes up.

I don't think many of us expected Honor's waiver to come through.

Now we're facing an ACC schedule with a young under-sized team and no true PG.

That's why even some of BB's biggest supporters have said that if he survives this year, he will have done a heck of a job.

Now that the season is starting to look more like we expected (and less like we hoped), it's time to break out the pixie dust.

Dec 3, 2019, 1:53 AM

Well don't we have 4 starters out that's not expect to play before January?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 contributors yes

Dec 3, 2019, 7:05 AM

4 starters? Baehre maybe. Hunter has but wouldn't have had we been healthy. Trapp may get some starts though I think Dawes is the better player. Definitely not Hemenway

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic