Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lack of running game against Pitt
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Lack of running game against Pitt

Nov 15, 2016, 5:48 AM
IMG_6796.PNG(81.9 K)

Summed up in one little picture

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lack of running game against Pitt

Nov 15, 2016, 6:17 AM

With the guys up front getting banged up, we were very short handed in the Pitt game. We have three freshmen OL's in that game and a couple of second year players at times. It all starts up front and we just didn't have the horses available with the experience that you need. No one should argue that we rely heavily on Hyatt and he only played two snaps in the Pitt game. I bet coach S challenges some young guys this week in practice! Expect a better effort in Winston-Salem.

Nov 15, 2016, 6:32 AM

Well most of the linemen are 3 and 4 stars yet we always have an online problem. I don't get go figure.

two words, Robbie Caldwell***

Nov 15, 2016, 6:33 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 and 5 star now a days***

Nov 15, 2016, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Lack of running game against Pitt ]

Nov 15, 2016, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Lack of running game against Pitt ]

We didn't start to improve o-line recruiting until the 2015 & 2016 cycles.

I don't disagree with you but my question is why

Nov 15, 2016, 6:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Lack of running game against Pitt ]

does the o line seem to be so far behind the rest of the team in depth and talent. If you look at the last several years we seen to have had a real "next man up" thing going on that's produced well. We've done it at receiver, and everybody knows the defensive situation the last couple of years replacing people. Yet with the line I always hear " youth and inexperience." I love em but we just have to be more dominant up front so our red zone problems get better and we don't need to try and bring in two defensive players to run block in short yardage.

Re: I don't disagree with you but my question is why

Nov 15, 2016, 6:46 AM

I'm not sure we have been able to recruit offensive linemen as well as we have other positions. I can't recall us ever recruiting a true center in years! Everyone likes the athletic, fast skill guys but they only excel with help from the 'big ugly linemen'! Look at this years class. Quarterbacks, receivers galore but the Hyatt kind of player goes somewhere else. Why?

the previous two recruiting cycles before the last one...

Nov 15, 2016, 6:37 PM

We loaded up on 4 and 5 star Olinemen. Robbie Caldwell just can't coach

Re: the previous two recruiting cycles before the last one...

Nov 15, 2016, 7:13 PM

In Robbie Caldwell's first 3-4 years, he still had Brad Scott's players on the roster.

STS considered Brad Scott to not be very good, and that he tended to develop the players into cottonelle.

our line is loaded with 4 and 5 star players, they just don't have the...

Nov 15, 2016, 6:35 PM [ in reply to I don't disagree with you but my question is why ]

kind of good position coach that our other players enjoy

We haven't sent many OL to the NFL. I don't know if this

Nov 15, 2016, 6:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Lack of running game against Pitt ]

is a matter of the scheme we use, talent or talent development. I'd rather be "OL u" than "wide receiver U".

that is why we ran on 4th and 1***

Nov 15, 2016, 6:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

And 1st and 10, and 3rd and 1...***

Nov 15, 2016, 7:42 AM

Nov 15, 2016, 7:11 AM

The Pitt DL starts 3 talented Seniors and a Junior. The backups are upperclassmen for the most part.

We are inexperienced at OL and were missing both starting OTs, playing true Freshmen.

That is the crux of the problem.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why is it that this same excuse is brought up every year about the oline...

Nov 15, 2016, 6:39 PM

So for 6 straight seasons we have been young at OL?

Pitt did to us what you would expect the #7 run defense

Nov 15, 2016, 7:55 AM

to do to a bad OL. And, unfortunately, that's essentially what our OL is right now (at least in the running game).

The absence of the read option threat by DW didn't help***

Nov 15, 2016, 9:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The absence of the read option threat by DW didn't help***

Nov 15, 2016, 9:43 AM

True but running him a lot isn't worth the risk either

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not bad, just very young and inexperienced

Nov 15, 2016, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Pitt did to us what you would expect the #7 run defense ]

Losing two good OL (Fruh and Hyatt) sure didn't help that situation.

Take a look at our roster, specifically our experience at the OL positions. I think you'll gain an appreciation for what they've been able to do. I sure did.

OL didn't lose that game against Pitt. The defense taking the first half off, along with Watson throwing a very bad interception at the worst possible time, are what lost it. If our defense doesn't play better than that going forward, nothing else really matters. We're not going to beat elite competition if we're getting gashed like that. We should have been able to adjust defensively before the third quarter; but we did not. In the past we've overcome adversity on defense and made some stops in the red zone; last Saturday, the stops were few and far between. When you keep getting gashed by the shuttle pass, that's not superior talent or athletic ability; it's coaching. That's a failure to adjust. BV has done a GREAT job at Clemson; but that loss last Saturday is on him.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't say they weren't talented. You can be bad

Nov 15, 2016, 10:19 AM

for various reasons. Inexperience and injuries are certainly included in that.

Re: Not bad, just very young and inexperienced

Nov 15, 2016, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Not bad, just very young and inexperienced ]

I agree on the D but I put just as much blame on the lack of stragetic play calling when it was needed. I don't care what anyone says, when you have 5 minutes left in the game, 2nd and goal from the three, Pitt only has two time outs, and only need a FG to make it a two score game, you run the ball not only to try and score but to eat the clock. If you don't get it on 2nd then you force them to either watch the clock or burn a TO. Same on 3rd only if you don't get it, you take the delay of game and kick the FG. Two score game and there is only around 2.5 minutes left with Pitt having 2 TOs or there is 4.5 min and Pitt with no TOs and a 2 score game. Chances of them blocking a short chip shot like that are slim to none. Worse case you miss the FG or fumble and they have to go 95 yards with time running down vs 30'after the int.

Sure it woulda been great had they made the TD and no one would be questioning it but the Coaches are paid to make the right calls. In the scenario we had, the right call was eat clock and make it a 2 score game with the FG. 11 point lead would have been just as good with the time that would have been left under either scenario as the 15 point lead and woulda resulted in the win.

Nov 15, 2016, 7:07 PM

The offensive line has to get better. However to improve the running game,Watson is going to have to run the football effectively too.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic