Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
4 Wheelers and kids (long post with two questions)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 536

4 Wheelers and kids (long post with two questions)

Apr 28, 2020, 8:11 PM

When I was about 13 or so, my dad got my brother and I a 250cc yamaha utility wheeler to play around with. We drove that thing probably thousands of miles. There was a 6 year span where that thing was running 24/7 when we weren't in school.

Wife mentioned that "we" needed to buy a 4 wheeler as a way to get the kids to spend more time outdoors. I'm all for it.

We have about 80 acres at the house, about 150 acres of land 20 minutes away, and about 600 acres of land about 1 hour away, so we have tons of places to ride and make good use of one.

Right now the boy is 9 and the girl is 8. Does anybody have any experience with these 50-90cc "youth" atv's? The alternative would be for me to buy one, and just ride them on the back for a few years until they're old enough to take it out.

I hate the idea of these knockoff chinese atv's, and would rather stick to a good ol' yamaha, honda, suzuki, kawasaki, can-am, etc. but since this is something they're going to outgrow eventually, I'm actually considering it. Anybody ever messed with one of these knockoff 4 wheelers?

Best case scenario would be to have two full size units, maybe a simpler two wheel drive 250cc-300cc utility unit, nothing super fancy and the wife could ride 2-up with 1 kid and I could ride 2-up with the other, and when the kids get older, they could take them out by themselves.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Do it the real way. start em on used 3 wheelers.***

Apr 28, 2020, 8:14 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol

Apr 28, 2020, 8:20 PM

Knowing the dumb crap i did on my slow-azz 4 wheeler, I couldn't imagine what kind of crap I could get into on a 3 wheeler.

I'm probably a good bit smarter than my kids... and my parents were stricter. They'll be trying way dumber stuff than I did, I assume. They get that from their mama.

SarahAdidas

My brother and I had them from when I was 7 years old

Apr 29, 2020, 7:24 AM

until mine died 2 yrs ago.

So we had Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki. Drove them everywhere beat them to crap and they lasted.

We started out with a Honda 70, then he got a new Honda 90 and I got a Yamaha moto4 80. Then we went up to 125, 250, 300.

Now my brother has two boys and he started one on the razor who broke his arm after about 2 weeks.

Then he got them the Chinese version, and it was a real pain. Had lots of issues and may just be sitting in the garage today.

So if you go atv, I would stick to Japanese.

There are other options of course, like the big go karts or Polaris Rzr. I think I would rather my kids be in a caged machine but I am overly worried.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's my thoughts exactly.

Apr 29, 2020, 1:17 PM

My kids friends have one of those small RZRs. I just don't like them. Mainly because I'm too big to fit inside of it. Plus the roll cage and seatbelts will give them a (possibly false) sense of security.

I'm the one that's worried in our household, because I know what kids do on 4 wheelers. My wife is completely not concerned.

Her only experience of 4 wheelers is me taking her back into the woods to finger blast her back in the day.

Don't be a qweer. Get your son a Honda 80 motorcycle and

Apr 29, 2020, 7:51 AM

Yourself a 250. Let the womenfolk stay home and make sammiches for when you come back in for lunch.

To get the kids outdoors, you throw money at the problem?

Apr 29, 2020, 7:58 AM

Why not pack the kids into the car, drive them to the middle of an enormous tract of wilderness, and drop them off with an empty canteen, a fixed blade knife, and a roll of duct tape while issuing the challenge that the first one them to reach the house alive gets a treat or a prize of some type?

Sometimes, I weep for the parenting skills of your generation.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I was about 7 or 8 my parents

Apr 29, 2020, 9:00 AM

bought me a 125 honda. It had already been through all of the cousins in the family. No shocks. No fenders. My dad throttled it WAAAAAAAAAAY back (it was a screw) I quickly figured out how to slowly but surely unthrottle it until it was wide open before he caught it.

We just recently sold it for scrap metal because that's about all it was good for. That thing lasted over 20 years and even a year or two before we scrapped it you could still put fresh gas in it, pull crank it on the second go.

Around 8th grade they bought me a Honda 300. We sold that one a couple of weeks ago for $500 even though the tires were rotted, swing arm bearings gone, wouldn't hold a charge, no brakes etc.

For some reason I've never had a fourwheeler that had working brakes.

MY POINT IS: GET A HONDA. Your son will be able to pass it down to his son. Your daughter will tear the #### out of it and ti will still get up and go.

The size is up to you. I don't think your daughter is going to be scared of any size fourwheeler.

The smart money would be to get a 300 and throttle it back. If not you're going to be spending all that money within a year or two of each other.

BUT YOU GET A GRIZZLY 800 LIKE A REAL #### MAN

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Solid advice.

Apr 29, 2020, 1:15 PM

Thanks.

Now get back to building your pallet furnature.

Re: 4 Wheelers and kids (long post with two questions)

Apr 29, 2020, 9:11 AM

My brother and I shared an ATC growing up. We got hurt a few times. We were pretty irresponsible though. 4 wheelers have to be way safer I would hope. Your kids are loving it.

I rode a 250 quite a bit as a kid.

Apr 29, 2020, 9:16 AM

It’s divine intervention that I’m still here after the stuff I did on that thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Addendum....8.5/10 humblebrag score

Apr 29, 2020, 9:27 AM

For the “the main plantation is only 80 acres but a larger, more respectable parcel is at our disposal at the summer compound.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks.

Apr 29, 2020, 1:15 PM

I typed it, thought about deleting it for sounding too braggy, then decided to leave it in because it sounded braggy.

Glad you appreciated it.

Oh, and the answer of course....

Apr 29, 2020, 9:21 AM

Honda Odyssey

Re: Oh, and the answer of course....

Apr 29, 2020, 1:14 PM

Those things are sick. I saw one on C/L a while back and had never seen one before.

Re: 4 Wheelers and kids (long post with two questions)

Apr 29, 2020, 9:41 AM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/ue6-hl2bdk7Igbgfw8hZjhCS1smvaQvhAQRISFcqLqxr5skNmcD9G7K6aRcQ--BIeW2YYGQWBHSO3FWL9g2h4s2qQmlaFtEMkBonzo1ioFTGGVRBwtK1mQ

I got the red one for my 5th birthday...
Yamaha Zinger 60cc. No gears, went plenty fast, very durable. Wood wreck amend

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Serious response, because Ive looked into this heavily

Apr 29, 2020, 9:52 AM

despite my child not even being able to walk yet....

I don't know what you're looking to spend, but I think I'm going to go for the Polaris youth RZR or Ranger. It's got an app where you can geofence them in, as well as control their speed, etc. I figure it would be easier to grow into that, and it's got a roll cage so my wife feels like it's safer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's my first project as an 8 or 9 year old me

Apr 29, 2020, 9:53 AM

Break that geofencing stuff, and take off the governor.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I figure by the time he's 8 or 9 he's going to be

Apr 29, 2020, 9:56 AM

driving it to Dollar General for beer runs, so it shouldn't be an issue.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't peg YOUR child for being a late bloomer.

Apr 29, 2020, 10:05 AM

I would have taken 6 years old for beer runs if we were betting on it.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just don't want him getting pulled over that young

Apr 29, 2020, 10:10 AM

He wouldn't have the maturity to just run and not talk #### to them by then, I fear.

"Did somebody say PEG and CHILD in the same sentence?"

Apr 29, 2020, 1:13 PM [ in reply to I didn't peg YOUR child for being a late bloomer. ]

-CS02

Replies: 21
| visibility 536
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic