Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
3rd and Renfrow
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

3rd and Renfrow

Jan 15, 2020, 10:34 AM

Looking back at Monday night's game, our lack of success on 3rd down was huge.

Drives stalled and it helped the LSU offense get in a groove.

Granted, Trevor was overthrowing a lot of balls to a lot of taller receivers, but this is the first game where I felt like we really missed Hunter Renfrow. The comfort level Trevor had with him on 3rd downs may have helped. Not only with some potential key 3rd down completions, but just in helping Trevor get in a groove.

Next year should be exciting. I can't wait to see how Bowman looks on offense, and Bresee, Murphy, and Capehart on defense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU has arguably the 2nd best DC in college football in

Jan 15, 2020, 10:39 AM

Aranda. He would have double covered #13 on every third down. LSU had the DB's to cover the rest of our guys one on one, they proved it most of the night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 3rd and Renfrow

Jan 15, 2020, 11:31 AM

I never complain about playcalling, but it was easy to see that we went back to a lot of the 3rd down calls we were using at the beginning of the season. Putting too much faith in Trevor and Higgins/Ross to make incredible plays.

We were calling plays where the key WR was running a route that was incredibly difficult to complete.

Add that in to the fact that throwing incomplete passes on first and second down for the majority of the second half put us in terrible spots to convert.

Renfrow was great at converting 3rd & 3-6. I don't remember him making a living converting 3rd & 9-14.

Those situations are where we left ourselves for the entire 2nd half after the TD drive.

Renfrow was great, but we didn't spend much of the games against either OSU or LSU in 3rd and Renfrow type situations.

Re: 3rd and Renfrow

Jan 15, 2020, 12:14 PM

Giving Travis the ball more on first and second downs might have alleviated the third down problem.

How could CDS, TE, & JS not be attuned to the situation...

Jan 15, 2020, 1:37 PM

...that was occurring on offense, and intentionally leave out of the plan the greatest RB that has ever played at Clemson?

The situation on the ground game had to be discussed on the headsets. How could it not be discussed?

It seems impossible for this group of offensive minds to unwittingly leave ET9 out of the offensive adjustments as the game unfolded.

It is just perplexing me to no end! I would just like to hear something back from CDS on this puzzling occurence.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Renfrow continues to be underrated

Jan 15, 2020, 1:30 PM

He was the best route-runner in college football last year. One of the best now in the NFL. He's short, and looks like a 35 year old engineer, but what he did was get open because he was ignored. A LOT. And had good hands. And ran perfect routes.

If Tee Higgins and/or Ross could run every route as well as Renfrow, they'd be even better receivers. Honestly I'm not sure someone their size COULD run a route as well as Renfrow. Before Renfrow we had Humphries. Some short, skinny, route runner who you would know would break perfectly every time, get open, and be there for the catch, AND be overlooked because he's not a WR prototype.

We need a Renfrow to go to, to help TL but to also help Tee and Ross. Could be a good tight end maybe too. But something like that. As it stood this year, you had Ross and Tee and everyone knew to cover them like glue because we lacked that dependable dumpoff guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic