Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
3rd and 5, a first down wins the game ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

3rd and 5, a first down wins the game ...

Oct 5, 2015, 11:34 PM

In the game saturday, it was 3rd and 5, ND had 1 timeout left. Approximately 1:45 on the clock (as I recall). We ran a predictable run. At the time I was hoping we would go for the win. If we pick up 5 yards, it's game over. The downside is obviously that ND has a timeout to use when it gets the ball back, but it didn't matter because they scored a TD anyway.

The Seahawks just had a virtually identical scenario, and they threw the ball and won the game. I've watched enough football in my life to be thoroughly convinced that unless it's going to be the difference between like 50 seconds and 10 seconds on the clock, by running instead of throwing, I'd much rather take my chances at picking up 4 or 5 yards to win the game that to run another predictable running play and punt it to the other team.

Do you think if it wasn't a monsoon, we'd go for it there? I hope so, but i'm not sure we would've.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PA rollout run/pass option was the call, IMO.***

Oct 5, 2015, 11:37 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: PA rollout run/pass option was the call, IMO.***

Oct 5, 2015, 11:58 PM

That where we should have incorporated a jumbo packet. 2 or 3 TE's set w/a power blocking D-lineman in the backfield blocking or run option to seal the deal. Worst case scenario help pushing the pile forward for a second option the first down. Would like to see some type of jumbo packet for these types of extreme game situations.

Re: 3rd and 5...Have you ever tried catching a ball in those

Oct 6, 2015, 12:09 AM

conditions? Might well have been a pass/run option, but I think DW did the right thing.
Go Tigers!!

Re: 3rd and 5, a first down wins the game ...

Oct 6, 2015, 12:23 AM

I think kicking a 45 yard fg on 3rd & 3, instead of just going for the first was a bad decision. There was Def a higher % chance of getting 3 yards than making that fg in that weather. Could have gotten closer for a better attempt at least, it was pretty much just giving ND the ball back with that call. As far as the p l ah calling running the clock out, running wasn't the process. It was the fact they didn't make ND think by putting guys in motion and changing it up, it was just to obvious. Glad we held on, but we Def helped them back in it.

i totally agree with u and that is the only play

Oct 6, 2015, 12:42 AM

Where I was questioning Dabo ..

Our defense was clearly tired and it was obvious that they can drive on us and we were kicking into the wind. We should have dumped the ball to a TE or a player from the back field where it is something that is safe..
Hey it worked out at the end and we got lucky .

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Wasn't luck, it was execution on the 2 point conversion play

Oct 6, 2015, 1:43 AM

No such thing as luck. It's called practicing,coaching, hitting the weight room, and executing during the game. Bottom line was, we did all those 4 things better than ND did. And that's the reason we won.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you HAVE to play the odds there...

Oct 6, 2015, 1:31 AM

i believe we were fairly deep in our territory. The LAST thing you do in those conditions is turn the ball over giving them a short field. You run it, and if you pick it up... great.

If not, you punt it and make them go score a TD and a 2 pt. conversion.

credit to ND for almost getting it done... They are a good football team

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Agreed

Oct 6, 2015, 1:35 AM

And lost in that, is that the last first down they made was a pass to flats, that had we made the tackle would've run the clock out. They had no TO's and to their credit made a drive, but they had to be dang near perfect to do so, and almost weren't. If we make that tackle in bounds (and we well could have) then it would've accentuated the wisdom in making them use their last time out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly... there's no way you throw the ball

Oct 6, 2015, 1:42 AM

on that 3rd down, in those conditions. An incomplete pass stops the clock... or worse a wet ball goes through the receivers hands and gets picked off

And like you said... make that tackle and it's an 8pt win

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

We won the game, stop whining about every minor detail...

Oct 6, 2015, 1:40 AM

the only reason ND was in the game was because of the refs. If the refs make the correct calls in that game, ND probably wouldn't have scored a single TD in the game.

it's ok to be realistic and not a moran

Oct 6, 2015, 1:43 AM

ND is a d@mn good football team

Ssme reason seahawks won also***

Oct 6, 2015, 7:04 AM [ in reply to We won the game, stop whining about every minor detail... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: We won the game, stop whining about every minor detail...

Oct 6, 2015, 8:24 AM [ in reply to We won the game, stop whining about every minor detail... ]

lol

null

it's interesting that Pete Carroll of USC(sr) went for the win

Oct 6, 2015, 8:23 AM

in a like situation in a "National Championship" game against Texas in 2006.

He went for 4th-and-2 at the Texas 45 with about 2 minutes to go. Failed to make it and ultimately lost the game when Texas drove the length of the field.

I don't care wha side of this fence you fall on -

them's Longhorn-sized cojones there....

Oct 6, 2015, 9:19 AM

I think we had to run heavy in the 4th. I would have liked to see a little different run. We lined up and ran into the teeth of a stout defense, play after play. We were too predictable. I say run, but put someone in motion, spread the defense a little, give yourself a chance

Game Was Won - ####****

Oct 6, 2015, 9:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Oct 6, 2015, 10:31 AM

Yes it was frustrating to not throw a very safe, short out to the flats to secure the win and I thought was emblematic of our overly-conservative approach most of the second half. That said, the conditions were horrendous and I have to believe they impacted the strategy versus ideal weather in that spot.

Oct 6, 2015, 10:36 AM

why not run the same play that we ran where Watson rolled left and had a choice to throw or run if the receiver was not open. Ran same play in first quarter and he threw to Leggett for a TD. Safe pass, attacking the edge, etc. Running plays in that situation at the tackle area will simply not get it done. I agree with the tone of your post and suggestion.

I would have went with a jet sweep to scott

Oct 6, 2015, 10:38 AM

Fake dive to gallman. If anyone can lower their head and fight for yardage, its scott!

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic