Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
30 years ago, today....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 538

30 years ago, today....

Oct 23, 2013, 5:45 PM

I was a young man, serving aboard the USS Jack Williams FFG-24, a part of a Multi-National Peacekeeping Force. We wer off the coast of Beirut, Lebanon, providing air support. For 30 years, I have, on this day, remembered and honored our Brothers who died and or were wounded.

Today we remember and pray for the victims of the Beirut barracks bombing.

The attack happened 30 years ago today on Oct 23, 1983. The death toll was 241 American servicemen: 220 Marines, 18 sailors and three soldiers, making this incident the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since World War II's Battle of Iwo Jima, the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States military since the first day of the Vietnam War's Tet Offensive, and the deadliest single attack on Americans overseas since World War II. An obscure group calling itself 'Islamic Jihad' claimed responsibility for the bombings.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 30 years ago, today....

Oct 23, 2013, 5:49 PM

That young man, in the blue shirt, was a shipmate and friend of mine. He remains so today. This picture was in Newsweek.

I think 3rdG was in the Navy in that battle group then***

Oct 23, 2013, 6:06 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Corporations are people. So is Soylent Green.

Seems like I, vaguely, recall having that discussion with

Oct 23, 2013, 6:21 PM

him. Haven't seen him in a while.

I was on an ammunition ship in support of the USS Iowa

Oct 24, 2013, 7:17 AM

battlegroup cruising up and down the eastern shore of the Med. We'd occasionally go back to Souda Bay in Crete, or Augusta Bay In Sicily to replenish ordnance; because this was the last use of battleships.

One of the highlights of my life was to actually see a battleship in action. The huge shells they fired into the hills behind Beirut produced a recoil that actually caused the huge ship to roll and displace a lot of water. An amazing sight.

Anyway, that's where I was deployed when my discharge papers came around. I was detached from my ship at Augusta Bay, transported to NAS Sigonella in Sicily to await transport home. That's where I heard the news of the Marine barracks bombing.

I was flown from Sigonella to Ramstein, where I boarded a MAC transport back to Dover. When we got to Dover, I noticed a lot of bodybags being unloaded. Those were the Marines from Beirut.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were a second wave, in relief. I remember reading

Oct 24, 2013, 9:38 AM

radio traffic, regarding the shelling of the hillside. They lobbed a lot of ammo. It was pretty quiet, when we arrived. Then, the bombing occurred.

Were you stationed out of Goose Creek? And, if so, do you recall a signalman by the name of Scott Parrish? He was from Spartanburg.

Too bad you didn't get to see the battleship in action.....

Oct 24, 2013, 11:59 AM

is definitely on my Top Ten coolest things I've ever seen.

I was stationed out of NWS Earle, NJ....near Sandy Hook. Don't know Mr Parrish.

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of nuclear weapons aboard USS Butte.

Re: Last job on active duty was OIC at NGFS school....

Oct 24, 2013, 12:08 PM

So we spent a lot of time on IOWA doing gun-ex's. You are absolutely right. When the 16"'s let go, you can feel the vibration in your teeth. Total nut. Shooting a harpoon is neat but nothing beats a battleship broadside. BTW: buddy of mine was the Marine spotter on the ground in Lebanon when NEW JERSEY was firing. Pretty cool stories that aren't the type to be made public.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 30 years ago, today....

Oct 23, 2013, 9:01 PM

I know a couple of Citadel pilots who survived over there. We lost one grad, USMC 1LT Charles Schnorf...really sad.

Here's his pic...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: Tks for posting Mr. Blue ridge

Oct 23, 2013, 9:11 PM

A good friend that I grew up with was a 2ndLt who was killed in the explosion. I was also embarked on ship that evacuated the embassy and Ministry of Defense after the bombings. A day that I will never forget and one that unfortunately is forgotten by most. S/F Marines

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Semper Fi!***

Oct 24, 2013, 8:14 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

Thanks for sharing***

Oct 24, 2013, 8:54 AM

Replies: 11
| visibility 538
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic