Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
3-4 or 4-3 Defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

3-4 or 4-3 Defense

Feb 12, 2020, 1:28 PM

With the influx of DE/DT Size and strength can you see us in a 3-4?
Imagine....DE: Bresee, Pinckney, T. Davis
LB: X. Thomas, Skalski, Murphy, Henry/Mascoll

We too deep!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 3-4 or 4-3 Defense

Feb 12, 2020, 1:33 PM

what ever works...that's the best part of Coach V. His defenses are dynamic.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2020, 1:33 PM

You don't seem to have a great handle on what positions our guys play on defense.

You said 3-4 defense and then proceeded to list 2 defensive tackles, 4 defensive ends, and 1 linebacker.

Feb 12, 2020, 2:02 PM

I have a GREAT handle..Pinckney is a Nose. Bresee is 6'5" 295lb(3-4 end size) Davis can play 3-4 DE at 6'2" 295 Lbs
At LB Thomas has pass rush and speed, Skalski in middle,Murphy at SLB and Henry in middle Pass rush wasn't so good but has size to play LB.

Myles Murphy is already 6'5 260

Feb 12, 2020, 2:11 PM

There's no way in hell he's playing LB. XT would probably be fine as a 3-4 EDGE because that isn't truly a LB position, but I'm not sure why you think you can just take 6'5 DEs and throw them out there at LB. There's a reason you don't see a bunch of 6'5 LBs in the NFL.. they aren't twitchy enough.

Re: Myles Murphy is already 6'5 260

Feb 12, 2020, 2:27 PM

Yea what he said.....

Also Bresee and Davis are the same weight but not close to the same player.

Davis isn't playing end in a 3-4.

If Pinckney was that strong in a 3-4 nose spot he would have played more this past season when he was healthy but at least you did have his position correct.

XT can't play an outside LB, even in a 3-4 rush spot because so far he has only shown straight line speed. Also he is 265 lbs.

There is a reason Henry and Mascoll got moved to end and told to gain weight instead of staying at their high school weight and playing LB. Playing middle LB and DE is not similar. Playing Will LB and DE is not similar.

There is less than 0% chance this is our setup and that is mostly because we already have other great LBs you can put in LB positions.

I realistic 3-4 lineup to brag about for our defense (if you are projecting freshmen potential) includes:

DL - Bresee, Davis, Foster/XT
LB - Simpson (SAM), Skalski (middle), Bentley? (middle), Spector/Jones Jr. (WILL)

Honestly we have about 3-4 studs who could fill the spot where I placed Bentley depending on who pans out.

The other 6 I listed plus whoever plays the other middle spot will put fear in the hearts of opposing offensive coordinators.

We don't have to use playstation style placement of the highest rated players on our team because we already have studs at the appropriate positions.

Feb 12, 2020, 3:08 PM

I see us playing a 4-3 defense with a hybrid LB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2020, 10:57 PM

Yes - think we can be a strong 4-3 this year ... Not really a fan of 3-4 .....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Feb 12, 2020, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Myles Murphy is already 6'5 260 ]

We should stick with the 4-3, it’s what we’re better built for.

That said, OLBs in a 3-4 scheme in the NFL absolutely are 6’5” lol. The Packers have 2 and another that’s 6’4”.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2020, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Myles Murphy is already 6'5 260 ]

We should stick with the 4-3, it’s what we’re better built for.

That said, OLBs in a 3-4 scheme in the NFL absolutely are 6’5” lol. The Packers have 2 and another that’s 6’4”.

Feb 12, 2020, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Re: 3-4 or 4-3 Defense ]

In the 3-4 scheme, OLB's at times have to drop back in coverage, ILB's make tackles in space(murphy?out of his element & looking 4 a transfer waiver) while the 3DL tie up blockers, ideally the entire OL or at least 4?not something most recruits want to here.(NYGinSB42) 4-3 imo allows the front 4 w/ superior athletic ability to shine w/o requiring as much thought, though the 3-4 requires the O to anticipate who the 4th rusher is(usually the bigger of the 2 OLB's); 3-4 easier scheme to disguise blitzes, more apt to confuse a qb, but imo is an anti-recruiting tool & will be use against us if the 3-4 becomes our base

Feb 12, 2020, 6:47 PM

In the 3-4 scheme, OLB's at times have to drop back in coverage, ILB's make tackles in space(murphy?out of his element & looking 4 a transfer waiver) while the 3DL tie up blockers, ideally the entire OL or at least 4?not something most recruits want to here.(NYGinSB42) 4-3 imo allows the front 4 w/ superior athletic ability to shine w/o requiring as much thought, though the 3-4 requires the O to anticipate who the 4th rusher is(usually the bigger of the 2 OLB's); 3-4 easier scheme to disguise blitzes, more apt to confuse a qb, but imo is an anti-recruiting tool & will be use against us if the 3-4 becomes our base

Never thought about it from that angle. As far as an anti-recruiting tool. But, I could see that happening for sure. Some DE or DT who may have to play nose(double teams about every play). Hmmm, something to think about. But, strangely, the LSU loss has in my opinion made us a stronger program. We know what it looks like to have an offense head and shoulders above a "very good even top tier defense"!
Guys won't be flocking to LSU anymore than they had prior to them winning it. They may get a few Alabama would have had.
4-3 or whatever BV decides will be outfitted with top tier talent that will be coached by the absolute best in the business. We good.

Foster needs to break out if he's gonna play.

Feb 12, 2020, 2:13 PM

I think he can do it.

5-2***

Feb 12, 2020, 3:14 PM

Feb 12, 2020, 5:28 PM

I think oiur ability (& talent) to play both allows BV to be brilliantly situational.

4-3

Feb 12, 2020, 5:47 PM

I see us going back to base 4-3. We should be deeper at DT next season with Ruke and Et.

4-2

Feb 12, 2020, 5:45 PM

nickle alternating with 4-3. Back 4 will have to tighten up.

Hope 4 this****

Feb 12, 2020, 6:38 PM

Feb 12, 2020, 5:46 PM

If you understand why we played a 3-4 last season then you'll understand why we will play a 4-3 next season.

Feb 12, 2020, 6:08 PM

Lots of reasons to describe a particular defense a certain way, but I'd say we didn't play so much 3-4 as we played 3-3 stack or 3-3-5 or 3-2 dime.

Obviously, a 3-4 can be close to a 3-3-5 (nickle), but the real difference is how many down linemen you use and where you place the extra LB (or safety). We should see more 4-down linemen this year. The question is whether we'll see 2 or 3 LBs in the box - or if one of the LBs will be a rover (nickle). If we're going to use a rover consistently, we'll need to develop another Simmons to do it.

Feb 12, 2020, 7:20 PM

Is this a gag?

There is zero chance 3-4 is our base package this year. The D-line is far and away the strength of the defense.

I like 4-3. Stop the run - attack the QB

Feb 12, 2020, 7:25 PM

Make him run for his life.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I like 4-3. Stop the run - attack the QB

Feb 12, 2020, 10:19 PM

Just provoking conversation guys...Ready for the season!

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic