Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yes, OP took us to 4 NCAA's...3 straight to end his tenure.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

Yes, OP took us to 4 NCAA's...3 straight to end his tenure.

Jan 20, 2017, 11:37 AM

He also promptly lost in each appearance, never getting over the hump. Whatever the real story is of him leaving, is not a good one...lest you all forget he bolted, left the cupboard bare and the program in shambles.

Just want to make sure all the people referencing OP are not hanging their hat on the 4 Tourney appearances and forgetting all the rest. Because that's what I'm reading on the board.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, OP took us to 4 NCAA's...3 straight to end his tenure.

Jan 20, 2017, 11:40 AM

OP was pushed outta town..He got tired of waiting on the athletic department to more emphasis on the basketball program and this fan base got way to greedy and started calling for his head for some reason...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 20, 2017, 11:41 AM

OP was not pushed out of town...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jan 20, 2017, 11:43 AM

Who cares what happened. He left suddenly and left us with nothing but an angry and impatient fanbase.

Jan 20, 2017, 11:45 AM

I ####### care. Stop glossing over a man who left in the middle of the night without the guts to even tell his players. They found out through the news.

Jan 20, 2017, 11:47 AM

I'm on your side man. That's what I'm saying. But my point wasn't the reason he left. It was that he left us with nothing and people seem to have forgotten everything but the fact that he made a few tourneys.

Cool story bro.

Jan 20, 2017, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes, OP took us to 4 NCAA's...3 straight to end his tenure. ]

Got any references?

Who exactly was calling for OP's head?

Jan 20, 2017, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes, OP took us to 4 NCAA's...3 straight to end his tenure. ]

He had absolute job security here.

Re: Who exactly was calling for OP's head?

Jan 20, 2017, 1:14 PM

His job probably wasn't in question with those with the power to actually fire him, but I do recall seeing many fans calling for his head because he couldn't win a tournament game. I couldn't believe it at the time because of our lack of tradition in basketball, but many fans wanted a new guy because they felt he choked in big games. I'm not saying that it had anything to do with him leaving, but it was stupid that people felt that way. Many of those same people are now making excuses for Brownell by saying it's really hard to win here in basketball.

Mrs. OP was calling for his head.

Jan 20, 2017, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Who exactly was calling for OP's head? ]

OP couldn't keep it in his pants. Really tired of hearing folks say that the reason he left was because Clemson wouldn't pony up more dough. It wasn't a pretty situation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

I wouldn't exactly say he left the cupboard bare...

Jan 20, 2017, 11:43 AM

since that's the only team that Brownell has taken to the NCAA tournament during his tenure at Clemson. If Purnell left the cupboard bare, then where are we at now?

He left a good group of starters but hadn't recruited behind

Jan 20, 2017, 11:44 AM

them. That's the cupboard, and it was bare.

Re: I wouldn't exactly say he left the cupboard bare...

Jan 20, 2017, 11:45 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't exactly say he left the cupboard bare... ]

Yep, he used the veterans of OP's last team to make the tourney. And then we had nothing roster wise.

The team he left had talent-he left no recruiting class however

Jan 20, 2017, 11:45 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't exactly say he left the cupboard bare... ]

Missing an entire class sets you back. No excuse for where we are in year 7 of Brad, but a true statement

Re: The team he left had talent-he left no recruiting class however

Jan 20, 2017, 11:48 AM

I will agree Brad has had some time, and the restlessness of the fanbase is expected.

Dabo could say the same thing about recruiting following

Jan 20, 2017, 11:50 AM [ in reply to The team he left had talent-he left no recruiting class however ]

his hire. That first recruiting class was super thin. It didn't seem to hinder his ability to lead the team on to bigger and better things.

Much like the OP I see this same cupboard was bare type of statement in reference to Purnell's departure and frankly see it as an excuse for Brownell. It really shouldn't be though...Brownell understood the situation and should've been busting his tail to fill that cabinet while at the same time coaching up the players that were there.

And in the end your last point is the most obvious one, in year 7 of a coaching tenure what does it really matter how things looked roster-wise 7 years ago?

Re: Dabo could say the same thing about recruiting following

Jan 20, 2017, 11:52 AM

Basketball and Football are two completely different animals.

Dabo had half a class, OP left no one

Jan 20, 2017, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Dabo could say the same thing about recruiting following ]

You can't miss an entire class at any school and not struggle

I don't disagree with that at all

Jan 20, 2017, 11:56 AM

But is it a good reason to STILL be struggling?

Re: I don't disagree with that at all

Jan 20, 2017, 11:57 AM

Dude he literally said in his post..."No excuse for where we are in year 7 of Brad, but a true statement "

I saw that, thank you***

Jan 20, 2017, 12:00 PM

Re: Dabo had half a class, OP left no one

Jan 20, 2017, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Dabo had half a class, OP left no one ]

Factually incorrect. We had 2 scholarships that year. OP had Marcus Thornton, GA's Mr. Basketball, signed and was rolling the other over to next year. Brownell failed to keep Thornton committed. Thornton ended up being fairly good (8 and 6, 12 and 7) once he got His attitude adjusted.

And decommitted before Brad even became coach

Jan 20, 2017, 1:30 PM

He had no chance to keep him, leaving him with zero

Re: And decommitted before Brad even became coach

Jan 20, 2017, 1:35 PM

It's like people have Alzheimer's or something. Was I sleeping when OP was a great coach at Clemson?

Jan 20, 2017, 1:59 PM

I guess you missed us being during parts of 4 straight seasons, 3 NCAA Tournaments, an ACC Title Game appearance, 6 straight years of post season play, and 2009 where we were ranked for the entire span of ACC play.

No one is saying Purnell was Coach K. He was just a lot better than his successor.

Jan 20, 2017, 2:00 PM

*us being ranked during parts of 4 straight seasons

Among the best we've had

Jan 20, 2017, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: And decommitted before Brad even became coach ]

And I think I speak for most in that no one wanted him to leave, or expected it.

Wound up career suicide on his part. Too bad, he could have had the court named after him

Jan 20, 2017, 1:56 PM [ in reply to And decommitted before Brad even became coach ]

OP left him a recruit. That is all I was refuting from your post. Brownell failed to keep him.

How can you keep someone who decommits before you arrive?

Jan 20, 2017, 2:04 PM

He was gone before Brad got here

Re: How can you keep someone who decommits before you arrive?

Jan 20, 2017, 2:13 PM

Brownell still had a visit with him and couldn't keep him. OP kept Vernon Hamilton after Shyatt left so it has been done before here. All I'm saying is OP left him a recruit who was signed to the program and not a "empty class"

Decomitted means he wasn't left

Jan 20, 2017, 2:31 PM

He walked away from his NLI

A special talent like Demontez Stitt will make any coach

Jan 20, 2017, 12:28 PM [ in reply to I wouldn't exactly say he left the cupboard bare... ]

look good. FWIW he led all four of those tourney teams, 3 with OP and Brad's first. Before, and after, we've been a mostly stagnant program.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loved Stitt

Jan 20, 2017, 12:29 PM

Never gave in. Fantastic player.......RIP

Re: A special talent like Demontez Stitt will make any coach

Jan 20, 2017, 1:24 PM [ in reply to A special talent like Demontez Stitt will make any coach ]

Stitt was great, but I don't think it's really fair to give him the most credit for all 4 of those years. During his Freshman season he averaged 8.8 points and 3.0 assists per game. The next season he averaged 8.7 points and 3.8 assists per game. In fact, for his career he averaged 10.8 points and 3.3 assists per game. I'm not saying that's all there is to a players game, and I'm not saying those are bad stats, or that he wasn't a key player. I'm just saying that those numbers don't jump off the page to where you'd say he made any coach look better than they actually were or that he was the one to lead those 4 NCAA appearances.

I just recall too many instances where he was the man that

Jan 20, 2017, 4:30 PM

was getting it done in tight games when we needed a floor leader. You're right his stats didn't scream "superstar", but in a sport that has so many close finishes on a regular basis, having a closer on your roster at guard is invaluable. I posted at the time he graduated that our team would suffer until it found another player like him. Whether that was a right or wrong assessment of the situation, we sure haven't achieved that level of finishing since.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many years should BB get to take us to were OP did?***

Jan 20, 2017, 12:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

27***

Jan 20, 2017, 12:07 PM

Re: 27***

Jan 20, 2017, 12:09 PM

Dude most people have said starting two years ago this year was NCAA T or bust. You continue to only show up when things are going bad and quite frankly it is sad and says a lot about you as a fan.

I'm sorry......have a snickers

Jan 20, 2017, 12:23 PM

you turn into a little ##### when you are hungry

Re: I'm sorry......have a snickers

Jan 20, 2017, 12:29 PM

another quality post from you... sad.

I'm know all my post are quality.

Jan 20, 2017, 12:37 PM

Quality like Zlatan!

That's a straw man. That is not what you are reading on the

Jan 20, 2017, 12:20 PM

board.

Regardless of what any of us felt about OP, his accomplishments in succeeding Larry Shyatt are far far far greater than those of Brad Brownell in the exact same amount of time with less to work with. It is not the standard or the ceiling for this program, but the floor of accomplishment that we know is possible and that we should demand at a minimum. It also serves as a factual counter to those who say that we have no right to expect anything more than what we are getting.

That's what I have been reading on the board.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

clarification: OP had less to work with in following Larry

Jan 20, 2017, 12:22 PM

Shyatt than Brownell had in following OP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% agreed***

Jan 20, 2017, 12:23 PM [ in reply to That's a straw man. That is not what you are reading on the ]

I see your point, but that's at least 2 too many uses of far***

Jan 20, 2017, 12:28 PM [ in reply to That's a straw man. That is not what you are reading on the ]

I credit OP with brownell's first Tournament bid.

Jan 20, 2017, 12:31 PM

so, that means i was one short on the "fars." :)

Jan 20, 2017, 12:31 PM

He also couldn't get the money or resources he needed and asked for because the AD and administration didn't care about basketball (apparently still don't).

"apparently still don't"

Jan 20, 2017, 12:47 PM

Please explain.

OP still live on the lake?

Jan 20, 2017, 12:32 PM

lost track of what he's doing now.

Jan 20, 2017, 1:03 PM

when OP left it shocked the heck out of me. I have/had faith in BB but I'm a patient person and I losing it with BB. I thought this was going to be the year we might have made some noise but the only noise I'm hearing is rustling from the Clemson faithful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OP was ultimately 7 seasons of nothingness.

Jan 20, 2017, 1:04 PM

Barnes used the Slab 5's physical, grinding style because it was all he had, and adapted his style as he started getting players in who fit what he wanted. Got us to the sweet 16 doing just that.

OP introduced and kept his gimmicky 40 minute full court press style for 7 seasons because it was all he had---he was a one trick pony. It didn't lend itself to consistent recruiting of high caliber players (certainly there were exceptions), but it resulted in a team that was completely worn out by season's end and easy pickings for NCAA tournament-caliber teams.

We might as well have kept Shyatt for 7 more years for all the good it did us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What does that say about Brad Brownell?

Jan 20, 2017, 1:34 PM

Trickless Pony?

Although, it's impossible to argue with any credibility that 7 straight seasons with postseason play is the same as what we experienced under Shyatt.

Trickless Pony? That's harsh.

Jan 20, 2017, 1:54 PM

I prefer "no-trick pony". Sounds so much nicer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was my initial choice.

Jan 20, 2017, 1:57 PM

But, for some reason, I went with Trickless.

Re: OP was ultimately 7 seasons of nothingness.

Jan 20, 2017, 1:47 PM [ in reply to OP was ultimately 7 seasons of nothingness. ]

7 season's of nothingness? What exactly would be your definition of something then? Gimmick or not, at least it made us competitive. We have never, and will likely never recruit talent in basketball that is on the level of other teams in our conference such as Duke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse, etc... and when you're at a large disadvantage in talent why would you play in a traditional way? The gimmick at least took teams out of the comfort zone and helped level the playing field a bit.

I also don't think our team really showed signs of wearing down late in the season during that run either. In the 2007-2008 year we went 7-3 over our final 10 games before the NCAA tournament which included making a run to the ACC Championship game where we lost to #1 UNC by 5 points after we beat #9 Duke in the game before that. The next season we did sort of fall apart near the end of the season, and the year after that we went 6-4 down the stretch. Those are all ACC games however where we traditionally have finished with a losing or near .500 record anyway so I'm not sure I'd blame that on our team getting worn out. Just as a comparison, we also went 6-4 in our last 10 regular season games in Brownell's first season. We then went 5-5 in our last 10 of his 2nd year, 1-9 the year after that, 6-4 the next, 3-7, and then 4-6 last season.

If you'd rather compare that to Barnes then his team went 6-4 during the final 10 regular season games in 1997-1998 and lost in the first round of the NCAAA tournament. In the sweet sixteen season of 1996-1998 we went 5-5 over the final 10 prior to the tournament. Yes we did win the two NCAA tournament games, but they were also over Miami Ohio and Tulsa. We also went 5-5 over our final 10 games in the 1995-1996 season before losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

My point is that I don't see anything in the results to suggest that our teams were exhausted at the end of the season under Purnell. Just because we lost in the first round those 3 years doesn't mean there was some sort of reason behind it other than we simply lost.

I forgot about the ACC Championship run to the title game

Jan 20, 2017, 1:56 PM

under Purnell. That was a fun ### weekend! Would love to experience that again!

But, alas, that does not seem likely.

I'm quite sure I couldn't find it now, but I've read quotes

Jan 20, 2017, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Re: OP was ultimately 7 seasons of nothingness. ]

from former players during the era that as much as admitted that they were pretty pooped by tourney time.

And as for the reason we lost---it was absolutely the press. Preparing for playing OP-led Clemson was like prepping to play a Paul Johnson-led Georgia Tech. The right coach with the right horses can beat it all day long, and those are exactly the teams and coaches that make it to the tourney.

Jan 20, 2017, 2:58 PM

OP was a better a coach than Brad Brownell, and he also wasn't on the hot seat. He left on his own and rumored to be due to things off the court.

4 is better than 1***

Jan 20, 2017, 3:12 PM

in "program terms", no, it's not....

Jan 20, 2017, 4:10 PM

and that's why people like you don't get it.

I don't get the bending over backward

Jan 20, 2017, 4:19 PM

and sideways and every which way to defend an unsuccessful coach. So now the argument is that 1 tournament appearance is better than 4? What's next?

like these jerks really care about facts...

Jan 20, 2017, 4:08 PM

but I gave you a TU for trying.

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic