Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
24 hours of Lemons Clemson Race Car
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

24 hours of Lemons Clemson Race Car

Sep 20, 2017, 12:20 PM

Here is a link to a 5 minute clip from a 24 Hours of Lemons race at Carolina Motorsports park in Kershaw, SC. We finished 2nd overall out of 66 cars. We painted the car the Clemson theme right after the national championship. Our first race this year in February was at Barber Motorsports park in Birmingham, Alabama. Needless to say most of the corner workers flipped me off before the race! I just smiled and waved!

Go Tigers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbxCAWZvcpw

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should post more about your car setup

Sep 20, 2017, 12:35 PM

Many folks on here aren't familiar with the Lemons races. All the work needed to lower weight, fix cooling, piecemeal together based on cost ... then all the harassment the judges give you and silly tasks for aggressive driving.

Buddy of mine has raced at Kershaw multiple times. Always a good time as a racer and spectator.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You should post more about your car setup

Sep 20, 2017, 2:28 PM

Our car is a 1989 Ford Taurus SHO. Stock motor and transmission that was rebuilt. I believe we have 200lb springs and a homemade camber kit. We still use the stock fuel tank but are realizing that to win, we may need to get a fuel cell. We stripped out the inside and built a roll cage. 24 Hours of Lemons is basically an endurance race for cars that cost less than $500. From what I have found, this is pretty much the cheapest form of wheel to wheel racing series that you can participate in. All you need is a valid drivers license...Makes things pretty interesting. Penalties can include being duck taped to the roof of your car while a teammate drives you around the pits and you apologize on a loudspeaker. They may also make you write 200 times on your own hood, "I will not hit another car". Or maybe they will even take two drivers that make contact, tie their legs together and make you challenge people to a 3 legged race (cant get back in the car until someone accepts and you beat them). Here is the link for more info.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/

Re: You should post more about your car setup

Sep 20, 2017, 2:38 PM

LOL that is awesome. Like I posted earlier, I quit racing about 10 years ago (business, family) and LeMons was just getting stared then I think, never knew much about it. I had racing licenses with NASA (2002 East Coast Honda Challenge champion H5 class) and SCCA (2006 SEDiv ITB Champion), but not current for a while... I may have to look into this! PM if you guys are ever short at CMP on the crew, I'd love to help out of you need it and meet you guys. :cheers:

Re: 24 hours of Lemons Clemson Race Car

Sep 20, 2017, 1:07 PM

Need a driver? ??

Sep 20, 2017, 2:31 PM

We have a full crew at the moment, but if you go to their website, I think they have a section for teams looking for drivers...

Sep 20, 2017, 1:11 PM

You drive like Danica

Sep 20, 2017, 2:12 PM

I would like to think i'm more Kerry Earnhardt than Danica....

you were at Barber as well right?

Sep 20, 2017, 1:37 PM

If so, I think we were directly across from you in the paddock.

We had a red 325 star wars BMW.

Re: you were at Barber as well right?

Sep 20, 2017, 2:15 PM

Yep we were at Barber and I remember you guys. We only lasted most of the first day because our transmission exploded....We have had two races now without a hitch now, knock on wood. We won B class at Kershaw in the spring (5th overall).

Sep 20, 2017, 2:15 PM [ in reply to you were at Barber as well right? ]

What the hell is that sound?

Sep 20, 2017, 2:33 PM

Haha not sure what that whistle sound is?? Could be the camera itself...I definitely couldn't hear it in the car or I would have probably lost it.

How did you get a BMW fixed up at that price tag?***

Sep 20, 2017, 2:52 PM [ in reply to you were at Barber as well right? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

old bmw, it was an 80's model.

Sep 20, 2017, 3:32 PM

nm

Sep 20, 2017, 2:26 PM

SWEET! CMP was always my favorite track, a lot of guys hated it because it was so hard on brakes compared to Roebling, VIR, etc (especially before they redid the last few turns before the front straight), but I loved it as I was in one of the lighter cars in ITB with SCCA, an '87 Honda CRX Si.

Looked from the vid like you were running around 2:02 laps? What kind of car? I'm not totally familiar with LeMons rules and prep. It's been 10 years since I raced, and LeMons was just starting out.

Sep 20, 2017, 2:39 PM

Thanks! The car is a 1989 Ford Taurus SHO. Pretty quick as long as the transmission holds up. Yep I think those laps were around 2:02. Our best lap this past weekend was a 1:57. Haven't been to VIR yet but going to Road Atlanta in December. Lemons has been really fun since I started doing it February 2016. Barber has been the best track I have been on so far. Here is the link for the lemons rules and everything.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/prices-rules/

Why did Top Gear never cover this??? AWESOME!!!***

Sep 20, 2017, 2:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whats up with the golf cart humping the Vette 2:30 mark

Sep 20, 2017, 3:09 PM

https://youtu.be/jbxCAWZvcpw?t=153

Message was edited by: Paton27®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reminds me of playing Pole Position at Bollwinkles to see

Sep 20, 2017, 3:25 PM

who would be driving home. High score drove home of course!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic