Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
22 games in. 0.500 record. So let's take a closer look ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,872

22 games in. 0.500 record. So let's take a closer look ...

Feb 6, 2020, 1:08 PM

As I was watching the end of the game last night, a game in which the Tigers made a nice effort to cut the lead to 2 points at the end, but still did not prevail, I decided to look at some stats.

6 of our 11 losses have been to the following teams:

Virginia Tech (14-9; currently tied for 8th in the league with 5 other teams)
South Carolina (13-9; currently tied for 5th in the SEC with 4 other teams)
Minnesota (12-10; middle of the pack in the Big Ten)
Miami (11-11; currently tied for DFL in the ACC)
NC State (15-8; tied for 6th in the ACC)
Wake Forest (10-12; currently tied for DFL in the ACC)
*Three of these were at home*

So no matter how you look at it, these in my opinion would be "bad losses", or "games you need to win". (It can also be argued that we stole one in the win against Duke - a quality win)

Since the UNC and Duke wins, we have 2 wins and 4 losses. In those 6 games we are:

125-339 from the field (0.368%)
41-164 from 3PT range (0.25%)
51-78 from the FT line (0.65%)

For the season, this is how we compare to the rest of the ACC:

FG% - 11th
SCORING (PPG) - 13th
FT% - 12th
REBOUNDS(per game) - 12th
BLOCKS(per game) - 15th
STEALS (per game) - 8th
ASSISTS (per game) - 10th

A very interesting note about the 3-point shot for this team. CU is 3rd in the ACC in 3PT attempts, 5th in the ACC in 3PT's made, but 10th in the ACC in 3PT%.

The back and forth here is always intriguing concerning our basketball program. I like Brownell and want to see him succeed here. It's really hard to argue though with a full decade as a body of work, and the stats from above are year ten. UVa is dead last in points per game in the ACC (by 8 points no less). Really it shouldn't matter if they play 6 guys on defense ... you gotta find a way to beat that team right?

I mean honestly, the shooting from both sides last night was so abysmal, I'm guessing Judge Keller even switched over to the Masked Singer.

Brad while he's here will always get my support as a Tiger, but the harsh reality is basketball like last night's game is simply hard to watch.

GO TIGERS

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 22 games in. 0.500 record. So let's take a closer look ...

Feb 6, 2020, 1:40 PM

I don't see how two teams can be TIED for DFL. One is either DFL or not. There should be a tie breaker so that one is truly DFL and the other is NTDFL. After all, DFL should definitely be DFL. Otherwise they are CTDFL or ADFL.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2020, 2:15 PM

Simple

This is a *young* new team that is very ephemeral - especially the grad transfers. Inconstancy in the offense is going to be wild. It is going to swing high and swing low.

As I put in another posts, look at Mack's shooting percentage. Averaging 45ish percent. But not as clear. As he has only had one game where he actually shot his average: Carolina

50%+ against Duke, TCU, Cuse. Below 40% Against wake, miami, Minn, etc.

The only time he had a good night and we lost was against FSU and he might have been the only one to had a solid night.

Otherwise look at this fanbase in the background. Could it be any sweeter?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mean, I'd have to say yes, right?!?!

Feb 6, 2020, 3:46 PM

Not trying to be difficult here, because it was actually one of those games (UNC win) that I will remember where I was when it happened. And it actually doesn't matter to me that this is the worse Carolina team in over a decade (seriously it doesn't). That streak is a goner.

But just to answer that question, 'could it be sweeter?' ... I'd have to say yes. It could be much sweeter than 1-59 all-time. Glad that fake-class having, extra year of football probation giving, academic fraud athletic department and fanbase got to experience that loss.

However it still doesn't mask the fact that we are 11-11 overall, 5-7 in conference, and playing some mediocre basketball.

GO TIGERS

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2020, 10:26 PM

In most of those bad losses the team is playing without 2 or in some cases 3 of its projected starters due to injury. And that's after losing 4 starters to graduation from last years team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,872
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic