Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2019 Fooball rule changes. Some good some bad
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,141

2019 Fooball rule changes. Some good some bad

Apr 25, 2019, 8:08 AM

Can't we just take the rules back to 1985, add some rules for targeting and stop FIDDLIN with it. constant rule changes get old. Having a rules committee means they think they are supposed to change the rules all the time. I think they should only convene when something major needs to be addressed. It's getting to be like Congress where somebody needs to be elected on the platform of repealing rules.

Though, the new targeting rules are better than the last few years.

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2019/04/rule-changes-for-2019.html

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: 2019 Fooball rule changes. Some good some bad

Apr 25, 2019, 8:31 AM

Well, they don't really define "blind side blocks", but I've gotta figure some of Hunter Renfrow's best highlights would now draw a 15-yard flag.

So if a defender is pursuing a ball carrier with his head turned away, you can't hit him? Can you at least stand in his way?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a good point. While I understand the urge to make thi

Apr 25, 2019, 8:35 AM

s rule, it simultaneously takes away some the little guys ability to play with technique over power.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Apr 25, 2019, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: 2019 Fooball rule changes. Some good some bad ]

I think the use of the word "attacking" means that you can't destroy a guy who doesn't see you coming.

I'm thinking more of the blocks that you typically see on punt returns and turnovers where the defense is trying to advance the ball.

It's very dangerous for the player being blocked when the opponent had a full speed shot on you and you don't have the opportunity to protect yourself.

Think back to our interception against FSU a couple of years ago and the way one of their guys blind sided our guy. That is the play that the rule is trying to stop. That play should have been targeting, but now the officials have another call to make in case the shot is too the ribs or somewhere lower than the head or neck area.

flag football is inevitable.***

Apr 25, 2019, 11:49 AM

Apr 25, 2019, 11:55 AM

Amounts to more personal judgment calls. Too many different interpretations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd rather "fix" OT by moving the ball back from the 25***

Apr 25, 2019, 12:04 PM

Apr 25, 2019, 1:24 PM

Thanks for posting these.
1. Am I reading correctly that one targeting is no longer a one game suspension? It takes 3 in a season, if that's correct?
2. They need to allow blindside blocks. As long as it's to the front of the player, that's just football. Pay attention. And I played the sport and both gave and received some of those.
3. Both of the above are tough to officiate in a fast-moving, highly physical sport. Let's all recall the way every play ends is with a man thrown to the ground against his will. It's a fast, physical game and should remain that way.

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,141
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic