Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Tuesday Update: Concerns at kicker, substitutions and Syracuse
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

New Story: Tuesday Update: Concerns at kicker, substitutions and Syracuse

Oct 10, 2017, 7:01 AM

Tuesday Update: Concerns at kicker, substitutions and Syracuse

The injury to quarterback Kelly Bryant and the student ticket situation have dominated the message boards and headlines since Saturday’s win over Wake Forest. Lost in all that is the fact the after Friday night’s game at Syracuse, seven of the 12 regular season games will have been played. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said.

Oct 10, 2017, 7:19 AM

“Here’s my take: Before Clemson played Alabama last year for the title, many experts wondered how Alabama would stand up to Clemson’s up-tempo style. Bama head coach Nick Saban didn’t play a lot of his reserves on defense last season, and that lack of depth showed up when Clemson ran 99 plays.

Enough said.”

If anyone doesn’t get this, they should try to learn more to understand. Dabo is the one who is best qualified to run the program more than anyone else. Leave him do his job.

Re: Well said.

Oct 10, 2017, 7:54 AM

I agree. Nobody likes the cheap scores at the end of the game, but if the reserves learn from the mistake, that is more valuable than a blowout score. Plus, we're still undefeated and looking good for the final stretch of the season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People wonder why we lose people to nfl and don't

Oct 10, 2017, 10:18 AM

miss a beat....this is why. Guys aren't facing their first live bullets. Meaningful snaps vs the other teams ones is invaluable to reserves.

Exactly.

Oct 10, 2017, 8:04 AM [ in reply to Well said. ]

Plus, you need game film to teach from. Can't get it if the youngsters don't play. You never know when their number will be called in a critical situation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I was happy with the 28-14 win. I didn't find out how bad it

Nov 9, 2021, 9:51 AM

was until I logged on to Tigernet

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^Underrated POTD***

Oct 10, 2017, 3:33 PM

Re: New Story: Tuesday Update: Concerns at kicker, substitutions and Syracuse

Oct 10, 2017, 8:06 AM

I have contended that one of the reasons we won the National Championship in 1981 was Obed Ariri graduated and Danny Ford didn't know how good Donald Igwabeke(sp) would be and didn't play for 45 yd field goals. I am countIng on Alex to deliver when we really need him!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2017, 8:06 AM

I have contended that one of the reasons we won the National Championship in 1981 was Obed Ariri graduated and Danny Ford didn't know how good Donald Igwabeke(sp) would be and didn't play for 45 yd field goals. I am countIng on Alex to deliver when we really need him!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Playing reserves builds depth, reduces the odds of having

Oct 10, 2017, 8:09 AM

Playing reserves builds depth, reduces the odds of having a starter injured, and keeps the team fresh in the 15 game season that is now NCAA football.

In 2015 the coaching staff was complaining in the 11th, 12th, and 13th game of the season that the starters had played so many snaps that they were just trying to get over the "finish line".

This is a team sport and it requires all 85+ players to achieve the goal at the end of the 15th game.

With that said:
The Tigers are so far ahead of the field in the ACC that a single loss is meaningless (except NC St and ACC-CG). In my limited perspective, it appears that one of the back-up QB's should be playing the 2nd quarter of every game except NC St and ACC-CG.

12-1 ACC Champions puts Clemson in the play-offs. It's not like we are still in the BCS era and you have to go 13-0 to be assured a spot in the championship.

Oct 10, 2017, 8:13 AM

Thanks dhood!

As for the fan messaging you with coaching advice, bet you wish you hadn’t given Francis Marion® your phone number, now, eh?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Which is exactly why.....

Oct 10, 2017, 8:14 AM

I wish Dabo would have used the opportunity at the end of the WF game to kick a FG. Score doesn't matter but the 'game time' experience does matter!!!!! Out of the whole game that was the worse game decision by the coaching staff. IMO.

Oct 10, 2017, 8:46 AM

Agree with you on kicking a late field goal. It was an opportunity missed with a good upside and little downside given no time left and a 2 TD lead.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2017, 9:11 AM

It would have been good for the kicker if he had made it? Downside is have it blocked for a TD, then the onside kick? Get the win and get ready for another game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2017, 8:25 AM

No doubt about it. Our depth comes from player development and playing time. Even though many say we have another 5 star behind who ever is starting, well they weren't all 5 stars coming in, they were developed into 5 star talent. We have great (possibly the best) coaches, and an awesome program. Be happy about that. I remember not so long ago when that wasn't the case.
GO TIGER'S!!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

New Story: In addition to Concerns at Kicker

Oct 10, 2017, 8:34 AM

I think production at the TE position is cause for concern. Granted we are running more, but if we come up against a D that can shut down our run game, the TE will need to be able to produce some timely catches in order to keep the chains moving.
2017 - 4 TE's have a total of 13 receptions for 154 yds and 1 TD.
2016 - Jordan Leggett's stats thru first 6 games: 20 receptions for 354 yds and 4 TD's.
Different level of talent, but still a big difference here.

Re: New Story: In addition to Concerns at Kicker

Oct 10, 2017, 9:16 AM

you raise a great point. Fact is we rarely throw to the TE and furthermore we rarely throw the ball over the middle. When we do, it's a miracle it usually works! There TE can't catch the ball if he is not targeted and thrown to.

Oct 10, 2017, 9:05 AM

A good Kicker is on the way. BT Potter Can you come early???

i think spence did fine

Oct 10, 2017, 10:19 AM

42 isnt a chip shot, and it did hit the upright after all

no reason to even mention that as a concern for a kid whose confidence we trying to build up

It takes 3 to kick

Oct 10, 2017, 10:20 AM

As a former college kicker, I watched closely Saturday. To me it looked like On the missed FG the snap was high and caused Spence to hesitate after he started his motion. That's all it takes

At first I wasn't happy about early subs, now I'm ok with it

Oct 10, 2017, 10:28 AM

One good thing about early substituting is that it is building for the future. A lot of those guys who come in the game are the future of the team. And they don't learn much is mop up duty against inferior opponents. Our defense is so good that I think we can risk bringing in subs early with little risk of losing the game.

Oct 10, 2017, 12:14 PM

Man oh man....

I get message boards...
I get social media...
I even get those that utilize Twitter.....

I don't get what Clemson putz (yes they exist) was stupid enough (or wealthy enough - which is my hunch) to actually have the balls to email the head coach on "substitutions".

First off: this complaint shows your complete lack of football knowledge as well as how Clemson preps those that are next up behind the starters. (there is a reason we aren't skipping a beat season after season)

Secondly: what schmuck actually thinks that the HC is going to take your advice....unless you donate lots of money and actually think that this is University of Texas; where donors call the shots? (again, my hunch)

Lastly: Clemson has a profound reputation for being one of the friendliest places to visit.....and obviously not because of you. Don't be the man/woman that tarnishes that with your triggered rhetoric...

This person doesn't speak for Clemson nation - and they sure as **** don't speak for this lifelong fan/donor/season ticket holder.

Oct 10, 2017, 12:58 PM

If a team lacks a healthy substitution personality, it's not a team game. Not a good message. Players need to flinch; i.e., face live fire.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the fan sent a message to David Hood, not Coach Swinney.

Oct 10, 2017, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tuesday Update: Concerns at kicker, substitutions and Syracuse ]

That's how I read the article. But still, I take your point about questioning our coaches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2017, 2:56 PM

I knew I should have stopped reading after the first comment.

"Dabo is the one who is best qualified to run the program more than anyone else. Leave him do his job."

Well said.

2017 Offense

Oct 10, 2017, 6:11 PM

Since everyone is pretty convienced the staff knows wayyy more than every one else.
I sure hope this offense has played oppossum up 2 this point.

j/s

Special Teams

Oct 11, 2017, 5:04 PM

is and has long been the weakness of our team. Why hasn’t it been fixed? Where do these teams find kickers who can kickoff into the end zone? I’d love to find one. It seems our best kickers have been Clemson soccer players. It sucks to lose games (national championships) because of poor special teams play.
Block a punt. Set up a return and Return a punt. Make an easy field goal. Return a kickoff. Very frustrating. I wonder how many more years I’ll be asking these same questions.

One of the many philosophies that make him successful

Oct 11, 2017, 9:04 PM

“My thought process is that I’m not trying to please the fans. I’m trying to win,” Swinney said. “I’m trying to have a great program. If they get bored with winning, that’s their problem. I’m playing the guys that deserve to play. I’m not worried about all of that other stuff. I’m just trying to win the game.”

He keeps his eyes on the prize and doesn't worry about all the surrounding noise.

Roar Tigers

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic